Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Introduction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Introduction 
    Greetings All,

Just a quick note to introduce myself to the forum. I'm deeply interested in China MC travel. I've been to China 4 times now. On one occasion I "rented" a Jialing 125cc from a guy on the street and spent a day riding around the LiJiang area.

My wife is from China and we have an apartment in PanYu Qu, Guangzhou. I've also done a couple of semi-legal car trips around the country and am looking forward to do a lot more (hopefully more legal also) road trips.

I came across this site accidentally while reading about another rider's trip through China to Russia. Looks like it'll be a good source of information. I've been a rider since 1983 when I learned to ride while living in Germany.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Black Hawk, Colorado

Nice to meet you.This forum is a great place to ask for advice and find out what is going on as relates to riding in China and Chinese motorcycles.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'll probably be coming over again in late Spring or early Summer 2009. I'm hoping to arrange some sort of bike trip during that time. I'll only be over for about 2 or 3 weeks this time. Gotta spend some of that time visiting family and playing standard tourist also (I still haven't been to the Great Wall!)

My wife is telling me that the gov't has changed some of the driving laws for tourists and it's now possible to legally use the International Driving Permit (For autos) over there. I can't seem to corroborate this anywhere however. Would you know anything about this?

Cheers,

Dan K.

I can't corroborate a thing! One Chinese policeman I know insists that foreigners can legally drive on their own license. Others say an international driving permit is fine, and others that any foreigner must absolutely have a Chinese driving license, and obtaining this is very hard unless you have a resident permit. What's worse the beliefs about the laws change according to what area you are in, and finding out what the laws actually are is very tricky if you can't read Chinese!

Ha! So things haven't changed since my last visit! It's good to know one can depend upon certain things. Guess my next foray will again be "gray market".

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan,

Howdy Hey! I think you'll be okay riding in China as long as they see you're genuinely trying to obtain the correct documentation like vehicle registration and some kind of translated license. The best license to have is of course an O-fficial Chinese one but more than a couple of riders have gotten along without it on a temporary travel basis.

Where and what would you like to ride in China?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Carl,

I've done a couple of short rides already. Mostly down near Guangzhou where we have our apartment. I was also able to putt around the LiJiang, Yunnan area on a visit up there. I've driven (cars) around Guangzhou and so far my longest car trip was from Guangzhou up to Yangshuo (Guilin), Guangxi. That was a 500km, 20 hour adventure in itself. . .

I'm up for riding anywhere pretty much, but as I hate the traffic in the cities I'm much more interested in riding in the rural areas. I'll be coming back to China for about 3 weeks in 2009. Haven't nailed down the time yet.

My wife wants to attend an MBA preparatory school so she has to stay for about three months. I'll be able to burn about three weeks of vacation. Probably no earlier than late Spring and no later than late June.

We've got a friend now who owns an new apartment near to Tian'an men square, so I'm hoping maybe that I'll be able to scare up a bike there and be able to ride it out to a more remote section of the Great Wall and do some camping up there.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan...

Look up ChinaV in Guangzhou and ChinaBiker in Beijing. These two outstanding dudes got the moto knowledge yur' likely lookin' fur.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Thanks for the tips. I'll be lurking a little and bothering folks with questions as I firm up the date for my next trip over.

Cheers,

Dan k.

Hi Dan,

I'm over on Dongguan, about an hour from Guangzhou. Let me know when you will be in town again and maybe we can get together.

Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    so far my longest car trip was from Guangzhou up to Yangshuo (Guilin), Guangxi. That was a 500km, 20 hour adventure in itself. . .
    Posted a ride report on the same trip a couple months back http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401 , did you take the same route we did?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast