Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all,

Two of my friends are looking to drive through Asia, and into China.
    They plan on arriving via Tourgart pass, in Xingjiang Pr.

How does one apply for temporary licence plates for their bikes?
    How do they apply for temporary driving(riding0 licence.
    I know they will need a guide for the duration in China, however, forgoing that requirement at the moment.
    I just want to know to start to go about getting a licence plates for them.

Sure they could do it the easy way, and shell out mega bucks for a tour company, but this isn't what they are wanting.

Gra.

2. #2 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Sure they could do it the easy way, and shell out mega bucks for a tour company, but this isn't what they are wanting.
    Sorry to tell you that all the other people that brought their bikes into China didn't want to shell out mega bucks either, but it's the only way it's going to happen for your friends. Prove I'm wrong... PLEASE!!!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Plus if there coming now I think that the Tourgart pass will be closed for the winter.Sure wouldn't want to be riding there now for a few months.Heard they had some good snow falls in the past few weeks.

4. #4 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies.
    They plan to ride next July, (July 2013)
    What I want to know is what is the forms required to temporary ride a bike in China.
    Again, forget for now the tour guide.

Step by step.
    Just concentrate on where to get the correct form to temporary ride a bike in China. (Forget the driving licence for now even - one step as a time)
    The tour company's know, they keep it a closed shop secret, but they know.
    Then next where to give the completed form, and how much to pay.
    I am not talking guide company, I am talking government, traffic, customs.
    Who needs the payments, of which I am sure there will be more than a couple.
    Again, the tour company's know, they keep it a closed shop secret, but they know.

We have recently hooked into a few "interesting government" people here in Shandong.
    They are not the "right" people yet, but I am sure they may know some one else in the right circles.

Gra.

5. #5 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Sorry to tell you that all the other people that brought their bikes into China didn't want to shell out mega bucks either, but it's the only way it's going to happen for your friends. Prove I'm wrong... PLEASE!!!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

NO, I disagree, it is not the only way.

Gra.

6. #6 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Plus if there coming now I think that the Tourgart pass will be closed for the winter.Sure wouldn't want to be riding there now for a few months.Heard they had some good snow falls in the past few weeks.
    Hi Damo,

There is no chance they will even set off before the middle of May 2013 from UK.

It all revolves around Xinjiang, as Xinjiang province is in my opinion the province where more than ever these forms, are handled.

You must know some government people in that direction?

Gra.

7. #7 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    NO, I disagree, it is not the only way.

Gra.
    As I said, please prove me wrong. The tour companies have guanxi and laws to deal with. You will not be able to get around the laws, which clearly state that overlanders entering China must be accompanied by a registered guide. The tour companies use their guanxi to get the plates, licenses, insurance, visa's and relevant permits to do this.

It goes like this...

Example: You want a residence visa.
    Step 1. Acquire a work permit or mary a local
    Step 2. You can't get here until you show the documents from step 1.

To get plates:
    Step 1. Provide the company registration license for the tour agency.
    Step 2. Provide more documents.
    Step 3. Submit license plate application

You can't get to step 3 until you achieve step 1

There are lots of procedures in place to ensure your friends do not achieve their goals without spending the money.

I will gladly buy all you guys a nice meal and lots of beers if you figure out how to legally import vehicles into China without going through, or having to pay the fees associated with a tour agency. You might be able to find an agency with really low fees that lets you wander off on your own, but I doubt they're going to risk losing their license. Some people here have started their own tour companies and are able to get the permits, but I think they still rely on a few "favours" to keep their business rolling.

I hate to be negative, but the chances of the Chinese gvt. letting people into Xinjiang, in private vehicles, unaccompanied, is pretty much zero.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    As of early 2012, there was no LEGAL way for a foreigner to get temporary plates, temporary motorcycle DL, and temporary insurance for bikes coming into the PRC - unless it was through a licensed tour agency, specializing in motorcycle tours, and using the Class 2 Chinese tour guides (licensed to guide foreigners - yes, they are a separate group). The guide has to remain with the foreign riders (on foreign bikes) at all times. The paperwork, permits, etc. is overwhelming.

Easy, independent, recreational motorcycle touring will not be possible until the largely negative view of motorcyclists changes in China. As noted in other threads, you're either a peasant or a criminal if you ride in China.

Of course, if you have the right connections ... maybe, but still highly unlikely. But I think the cost of establishing those connections is probably much more than hiring the tour guide.

Maybe things have changed this year, but I doubt it.

9. #9 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    As I said, please prove me wrong. The tour companies have guanxi and laws to deal with. You will not be able to get around the laws, which clearly state that overlanders entering China must be accompanied by a registered guide. The tour companies use their guanxi to get the plates, licenses, insurance, visa's and relevant permits to do this.

It goes like this...

Example: You want a residence visa.
    Step 1. Acquire a work permit or mary a local
    Step 2. You can't get here until you show the documents from step 1.

To get plates:
    Step 1. Provide the company registration license for the tour agency.
    Step 2. Provide more documents.
    Step 3. Submit license plate application

You can't get to step 3 until you achieve step 1

There are lots of procedures in place to ensure your friends do not achieve their goals without spending the money.

I will gladly buy all you guys a nice meal and lots of beers if you figure out how to legally import vehicles into China without going through, or having to pay the fees associated with a tour agency. You might be able to find an agency with really low fees that lets you wander off on your own, but I doubt they're going to risk losing their license. Some people here have started their own tour companies and are able to get the permits, but I think they still rely on a few "favours" to keep their business rolling.

I hate to be negative, but the chances of the Chinese gvt. letting people into Xinjiang, in private vehicles, unaccompanied, is pretty much zero.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Hi ChinaV,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The tour guide, and the tour guide company will be sorted, I really don't want to dwell on these at the moment.
    I know they are separate tour guides, and I know how to set up a company in China, so "nobody will be wondering off on their own"
    What I want, is to see the official form, if one exists, which it must do, that needs completion for temporary licence plates.
    I don't want to take a trip up to Xinjiang province, so this is why I was asking on this forum.
    If no one knows, or if it is "too hard to find out" then fine.
    Just let it be.

I am resident, I am married to a Chinese, we will have a tour guide company, but I am asking just about the forms, and where to get them, where to give them, what government bodies to pay.

I may be completely wrong, and this is indeed IMPOSSIBLE !!

But the tour company's are able to do it, albeit with their connections, just need to find their connections, or other connections.

It can be done !!!
    There just needs to be found a way, without shelling out lots of money to tour company's.

Be positive, don't just say it can't be done, where is the spirit ???????

Gra.

10. #10 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    As of early 2012, there was no LEGAL way for a foreigner to get temporary plates, temporary motorcycle DL, and temporary insurance for bikes coming into the PRC - unless it was through a licensed tour agency, specializing in motorcycle tours, and using the Class 2 Chinese tour guides (licensed to guide foreigners - yes, they are a separate group). The guide has to remain with the foreign riders (on foreign bikes) at all times. The paperwork, permits, etc. is overwhelming.

Easy, independent, recreational motorcycle touring will not be possible until the largely negative view of motorcyclists changes in China. As noted in other threads, you're either a peasant or a criminal if you ride in China.

Of course, if you have the right connections ... maybe, but still highly unlikely. But I think the cost of establishing those connections is probably much more than hiring the tour guide.

Maybe things have changed this year, but I doubt it.
    Hello LJH,

Your points are taken into notice.

If you can find a copy of the forms, that the tour company complete, and issue to the government department.
    And which government department also needs to be discovered.

Gra.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast