Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    I have a question: why dont you take the 300 K you are willing to spend, buy some chinese bikes, plate them in a convenient province. fly your friends in and apply for a temporary driving licence at the airport. there is a way to do it. I dont now how to do it but Chinabiker/Andy does. send him a PM. (here are rental car services also, they will know also) avoid critical parts of this big country, go out on a ride with your friends and enjoy!
    Hi Sabine,

It's not 300k willing to spend, it is simply in a holding account. This is used by the tour company to leave a "monetary deposit" for each vehicle. This is collected in full on departure from Chinese soil.
    The other 6 persons that will be doing the trip will be in 3 prepared, well kitted out Toyota Land Cruisers.
    They sort their own individual tourist visa's out prior.
    The temporary driving licence "at the airport" I believe limits you to Beijing metropolis, so not really a benefit.

The other options were mentioned earlier in the thread.

Option 1/
    Buy a travel company, do the trip, then sell it again,,,,possible, but how do you buy guanxi.

Option 2/
    Let a current travel company do the paperwork, of obtaining the 4 temporary vehicle licence plates, and the temporary also 3 driving licenses for the 3 other vehicle drivers.

My wife will be able to undertake the "tour guide" requirement, this is already confirmed, so no need to pay for a guide for a month or however long the trip is decided and planned to be.

Gra.

2. #22 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Option 1/
    Buy a travel company, do the trip, then sell it again,,,,possible, but how do you buy guanxi.
    If you want to be legal (highly recommended), and you want to do it all on your own, it is easier to buy a company than start one. If, for no other reason, than the initial registered capital requirement is taken care of. If you want a WFOE, you need to add a zero to the end of what a Chinese person's registered capital requirements are. In my case, a WFOE has a 7 figure registered capital requirement, but the business scope also includes product import/export, and also includes multiple locations.

As Bigdano noted earlier in this thread, it takes a long time (and lots of money), to establish guanxi ... and I assume you are a foreigner, so double the time, effort & money. The only shortcut (I know of) for a foreigner is to marry into it, and keep the spouse happy. Well, there is one other - be a professor and help the son/daughter get into a prestigious overseas university for grad studies.

Option 2/
    Let a current travel company do the paperwork, of obtaining the 4 temporary vehicle licence plates, and the temporary also 3 driving licenses for the 3 other vehicle drivers.

My wife will be able to undertake the "tour guide" requirement, this is already confirmed, so no need to pay for a guide for a month or however long the trip is decided and planned to be.
    This makes the most sense.

You are correct about the Beijing TDL - it is only for passenger cars, rented only from approved rental agencies (i.e., no privately owned vehicles), and only valid in certain parts of Beijing. Essentially, in my view, it is useless.

When I was looking into this whole area, I was given a quote for proper PICC insurance that made my head spin. But that included full medical insurance with emergency evacuation to Hong Kong.

Last I checked, carnets are not recognized in China so, as you discovered/noted, a vehicle deposit is required.

I really hope you are successful - it will be another glimmer of hope for the rest of us.

3. #23 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    If you want a WFOE, you need to add a zero to the end of what a Chinese person's registered capital requirements are. In my case, a WFOE has a 7 figure registered capital requirement, but the business scope also includes product import/export, and also includes multiple locations.
    That's an insane number. There are plenty of other places where the registered capital requirements are far bellow that. Shop around, I was surprised that the difference between Dongguan and Shenzhen was 1.5 million. Believe it or not, Shenzhen was 6 figures and Dongguan was 7. FYI, you don't really need that money. Ask the person processing the license and you will probably find out that their cousin has a "loan business". You put up 2-3% of the capital requirement as a "fee" and they take care of the rest. TIC

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #24 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    This is why a a WFOE or a WOFE would only ever be in Fay's name.
    She would be "the company"

If it was in my name, it wouldn't even get off the ground.

I think company formation for Chinese national, isn't a big deal at all.

Gra.

5. #25 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 

Gra.
    Is she registered in Xinjiang as a "tour guide" As I said Xinjiang and the Big T are a whole new ball game to the rest of China.

"I think company formation for Chinese national, isn't a big deal at all."

Umm maybe still depends on what Gaunxi they have.Well it does in Xinjiang.

Don't forget your business license comes up for renewal every three years and the gift giving starts again and is getting harder as every year passes.

6. #26 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Damo,

I have been told by persons in Xinjiang, that even though Xinjiang is autonomous, they still have rules and laws.

A Beijing registered tour guide can tour guide any where in China, that means in Xinjiang.
    Xinjiang is still China, even though they would like not to be.
    To be honest, I (we) will be scootin' through Xinjiang as fast as possible.

Gra.

edited to add:::::::

There is no need to registered in Xinjiang as a tour guide / travel agency.

From the website "(C) is by training and holds a province, autonomous region, or municipality directly under the people's Governments above qualification certificate issued by the administrative departments of tourism operators; "

So a province qualification certificate, provided it is issued by the tourism dept. will be fine.

Gra.
    Last edited by Graham; 11-13-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123