Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Ok Graham you have finally said it you are/want to set up a tour company.First ChinaV is not being negative he has been in China living and working for a long,long time so he knows what he is talking about and he is correct in what he says.

I have been in and out of China for a long time and Xinjiang for many many years.Xinjiang and the big T are a whole new ball game compared to the rest of China and the way they do things in Xinjiang sometimes well most times does my head in good luck in finding those forms I don't know about them but a expensive dinner and a carton of American cigarettes ain't going to get you those forms.These days guanxi takes along time to establish well in Xinjiang it does one quick trip to Xinjiang ain't going to do it.

I am sorry but what you want to do is probably going to take you many years to establish and you will have to do it from Xinjiang there ain't no quick fix on this one.

2. #12 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Ok Graham you have finally said it you are/want to set up a tour company.
    We are certainly considering setting up a tour company.
    However, it would be tours by "invite only"
    To a selected small group of people that I already know, who all live in UK.
    Not a general "open to every one" type of tour company.
    It may be that we engage a Xinjiang tour company to do the paperwork, and we will use our own registered guide, sticking to our planned route, which would be submitted by the Xianjiang tour company, - just an another option we considered.
    I am thinking that we would run the company for two trips, then close it.

Gra.

3. #13 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    I read some time ago, that since beginning October until spring next year, you cannot even get a tourist visa for this region. China has beautiful landscapes, why must it be always there, where it is the most difficult?

4. #14 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Be positive, don't just say it can't be done, where is the spirit ???????
    My spirit was beaten out of me by the bureaucrats you're going to deal with. From what I've come to understand, this is what is needed.

Temporary Drivers License:
    1, Driver's Passport information with copy.
    2, Original Foreign Driver License Chinese translation.
    3, Age 18 and over.
    4, Health Certificate for driving in China.
    5, 5 Photos (1-inch size)
    6, Certificate from Chinese Tour Organisation.
    7, Temporary Driver Permit (License) Application Form

Temporary Vehicle Import Form:
    1, Vehicle Owner Certificate with Chinese version translation.
    2, Vehicle Immigration Certificate issued by China Customs.
    3, Certificate from Chinese tour Organization.
    4, Automobile Safety & Technical Inspection Certificates, Chinese translation if issued in foreign country.
    5, China "Automobile Liability Insurance" (Covered) Certificate.
    6, Temporary Import Entry China Vehicle Plate & Driving Permit Application Form
    7, Photograph of Vehicle from each direction.

Other:
    Complete itinerary of the towns and time in China.
    Complete list of all items being carried.

Apparently all of this can be done without a tour agency, but you do need the Certificate from a Chinese Tour Organisation.

Maybe you should contact NAVO and ask them for the actual Temporary Import Entry China Vehicle Plate & Driving Permit Application Form & the Application for Vehicle Immigration Certificate issued by China Customs.
    E-mail:en@navo-tour.com

The forms may be self generated at the border crossing areas and maybe that's why you can't get one.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #15 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Graham

I appreciate your ambitions - I was in the same boat 3 years ago. In the end, China won (it always does) - the rules beat me to a pulp, and took a few hundred thousand rmb in the process.

Forms? First, you need a WFOE. No small task, in terms of time, money and effort. Binders of forms.

Government departments? For Beijing, it was 16 different ones, if I recall correctly. My lawyer & agent took care of it. I was constantly signing documents, forms, and credit card slips. This time, it isn't binders of forms, it is boxes.

Shortcut - get your Chinese wife to purchase an existing, registered motorcycle company (or tour company) with broad and ambiguous definitions in its scope of business activities. Then cross your fingers that no one figures out what you are planning. However, this is very unlikely as soon as the word "motorcycle" comes up. No one is joking that the word motorcycle means "peasant" or "criminal" to the vast majority of Chinese people, including the counter people at the various government departments.

Once you have a company, you can start the arduous process of trying to get foreign bikes brought in.

Good luck!

6. #16 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    My spirit was beaten out of me by the bureaucrats you're going to deal with. From what I've come to understand, this is what is needed.
    I am sorry to hear that but I do understand, we do know some good people, “helpful” people, but this is only in Weifang, and they can only tell me the outline procedure, which is not the rule every where :(

Temporary Drivers License:
    1, Driver's Passport information with copy. Yes, understand this
    2, Original Foreign Driver License Chinese translation. Yes, understand this
    3, Age 18 and over. Yes, understand this
    4, Health Certificate for driving in China. Yes, understand this
    5, 5 Photos (1-inch size) Yes, understand this
    6, Certificate from Chinese Tour Organisation. Yes, understand this
    7, Temporary Driver Permit (License) Application Form – I have seen that form, but don’t have a copy of it yet.

Temporary Vehicle Import Form:
    1, Vehicle Owner Certificate with Chinese version translation. Yes, understand this
    2, Vehicle Immigration Certificate issued by China Customs. Don’t know this part yet
    3, Certificate from Chinese tour Organization. Yes, understand this
    4, Automobile Safety & Technical Inspection Certificates, Chinese translation if issued in foreign country. Yes, I know about these, these are issued by the motor vehicle manufacturer, general cost is £81
    5, China "Automobile Liability Insurance" (Covered) Certificate. Yes, PingAn on VIN number
    6, Temporary Import Entry China Vehicle Plate & Driving Permit Application Form – I have seen what the tour company’s use, ie, what you and me fill in for them, but I am sure sure they transcribe this information to a Chinese form
    7, Photograph of Vehicle from each direction. – I was told 8 photos, with number plate clearly visible both back and front.
    1 photo from each side, 1 photo from front, 1 photo from rear, 1 photo from each corner = totally 8.

Other:
    Complete itinerary of the towns and time in China. – yes, understand this
    Complete list of all items being carried. yes, understand this

Apparently all of this can be done without a tour agency, but you do need the Certificate from a Chinese Tour Organisation. This is the issue at hand, so by setting a small tour company, which needs 300,000 RNB holding account, setting up., with an English speaking guide, who has passed the tour guide exams in BOTH Chinese AND ENGLISH

Maybe you should contact NAVO and ask them for the actual Temporary Import Entry China Vehicle Plate & Driving Permit Application Form & the Application for Vehicle Immigration Certificate issued by China Customs.
    E-mail:en@navo-tour.com

The forms may be self generated at the border crossing areas and maybe that's why you can't get one. yes, understand this, that at the end of the search, there might not be a single standardised form.
    I also question if each province needs this information, if traveling "inter-provincial", or is just one submission acceptable, at first province of entry

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Gra.

7. #17 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    This is the issue at hand, so by setting a small tour company, which needs 300,000 RNB holding account, setting up., with an English speaking guide, who has passed the tour guide exams in BOTH Chinese AND ENGLISH
    I see, you are a man on a mission! Lucky UK-Guys to have a friend like you. please keep posting your progress.

8. #18 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    You should be able to enter china on your own bikes. Cars can do it but they do need a full time local to accompany them. You need Carnets, insurance and probably international driving licenses. The best thing to do before next summer is to go to a Chinese Embassy and tell them your plans and ask them what you need. Do not ask if you can do it because they will say no.. . Good luck!!!!

9. #19 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    You should be able to enter china on your own bikes. Cars can do it but they do need a full time local to accompany them. You need Carnets, insurance and probably international driving licenses. The best thing to do before next summer is to go to a Chinese Embassy and tell them your plans and ask them what you need. Do not ask if you can do it because they will say no.. . Good luck!!!!
    If only it was so simple, , , , , , ,

Gra.

10. #20 Re: Where and how to get Temparary vehicle licence 
    I have a question: why dont you take the 300 K you are willing to spend, buy some chinese bikes, plate them in a convenient province. fly your friends in and apply for a temporary driving licence at the airport. there is a way to do it. I dont now how to do it but Chinabiker/Andy does. send him a PM. (here are rental car services also, they will know also) avoid critical parts of this big country, go out on a ride with your friends and enjoy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast