Weird topic, I know. But I am sure that anyone who has run with their headlights on, during the day, in China, has been confronted with "your headlights are on!"

A few days ago, I was stopped by the police for having my scooter's headlight on during the day. I was told that is was against the law, in China, but I was let off with a warning. Whatever.

Thereafter, I had a healthy argument with a Chinese friend, who insisted that having your headlights on results in increased fuel consumption. His side of the argument was based on "everyone knows this, how can you be so stupid?!?!?!"

I'm sorry, but this does NOT make sense to me. Please educate me.

IMHO, whatever type of charging system you have (e.g., stator; generator, alternator), there is NO additional mechanical load when the system is being subjected to an increased electrical load. That is, there is no additional mechanical resistance applied to the engine, as a result of the increased electrical load. The charger (e.g., a motorcycle's stator) is producing electricity at a rate which is affected only by RPM. If your stator/charging system is not producing enough juice, for whatever reason, there is no additional drag on the engine as the system tries to produce more electricity. That is not how the mechanics work in a copper-wrapped generating system. A demand for additional electrical current can NOT cause an increase in mechanical resistance.

This is very different than a car's A/C system, which engages the pump (connected by the serpentine belt) and therefore causes an additional mechanical load. Same with power steering pumps.

As I understand it, charging systems put out a fixed amount of current, affected only by RPM, to a certain maximum. When there is a need for additional current, the regulator provides it - when there is no additional need, the regulator dumps it.

Someone please explain to me how an increase in electrical requirements could possibly cause an increase in fuel consumption. It makes no sense. A stator/alternator is NOT subjected to an increased drag - the magnetic field is constant, the windings are constant, the only thing that affects current production is RPM.

Frankly, I think that riding without a helmet probably creates drag as your hair & oddly shaped face push through the wind! And the big-nosed laowai face is probably MORE aerodynamic than the flatter Asian face! I have never heard anyone say "hey, you're using too much gas. Put a helmet on. Oh, wait, you're a big-nosed laowai - never mind."