Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Bashan is floating images of a bike they claim to be manufacturing, that looks exactly like the Honda Varadero XL125. Actually it is an image of a real XL 125 Varadaro they are using, tsk tsk.

The bike is advertised by Bashan on their Spanish language website.

Then it also is being advertised on chinamotorworld.com as a BS250-18, with an image that seems to show a Yamaha v250 altered into an image of the Honda.
    Apparently Bashan never progressed this model into mass production due to the price

2. #12 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    The factories only make 1-2% profit per unit, many are operating in the red.

I see the prices the wholesaler ask for the 250cc models the prices at wholesale represent prices that cannot support a realistic retail price. They cannot make a few of anything, they have to make tens of thousands to justify production. If it is not something special and they do not have established respect in the market it will not sell.

Bashan created an image and then through third party systems tested the wholesale market and no significant interest existed, that bike for that price…no thanks…we will not be able to sell them.

I would buy this bike in the USA for $3,500.00

But only if it came through supported by a Yamaha dealer and it could, they could make it in china through their joint venture with Jianshe.

I would not pay $4,290.00 for the VX250,

Yamaha only uses that engine in one model, in Japan they call it a Drag Star 250

They make the bike very boring before sending them to the US.

Lifan and Qianjiang offer copies of the VX250, they retail for at or around $3,500.00.
    If you cannot beat them join them, they did already they are joined so they just need to lower the prices on these and manufacture them to China. Bring back the SRV250 and offer it up in the USA for $3,500.00
    Last edited by MJH; 03-06-2013 at 04:46 AM.

3. #13 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    They need to defend their product and they are not, they can introduce the copied products at a lowered price and simultaneous issue cease and desist orders to those violating existing patents. They can track sales by state of the violation and send out legal letters, stop now or we will seek recovery of losses on the sales you made of our products that are patented designs.

Yamaha knows what it patented and they should not bother to file patents if they are not going to follow up in the actual enforcing of them.

If a consumer sees it as a clone….that pretty much confirms a violation of a design.

They should also sell the engines but in that they would notify other manufactures that they cannot configure the engines into copied designs that they have patents on. They can sell the engines and in that stamp them with a purchasers brand and also inform them they cannot use the Yamaha name or they can but must pay for the use of the trademark and then define the scope of the use.

Any engine manufactured before 1993 can be copied, they can not copy the cases if they are protected as ornamental designs.

Unfortunately it seems only the USA that follows this, the international community does not offer indefinite ornamental patent protection.

http://www.wipo.int/hague/en/general...how_to_protect

Be aware though if it look just like something else it likely is violating laws and the more sold represents an increased likelihood of getting a letter stating the violation.

4. #14 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    It is interesting how bad designed website can "hide" interesting motorcycles. A fine example is "Bashan". Only in "Alibaba" I found two of their interesting motorcycles with, shall we say - fresh design. One is the enduro/supermotard marked BS 125-46A, and the other is a simple commuter motorcycle marked BS 125-16 II.

Bashan_BS135-46A.jpg

Bashan_BS125-16II.jpg
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

5. #15 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    Again, common platform, but cute design and nice proportions - Bashan BS 150-16III.

Bashan_BS150-16III.jpg

6. #16 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 

7. #17 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    This time, IMO, copy looks better than the original.

8. #18 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    Not really, Honda has a sportier version that looks as good.

9. #19 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    I don't see this Bashan as copy of Honda's design. I like its design with a series of spindle forms.

About which one look better - degustibus non disputandum. It is good that there is a choice.

10. #20 Re: Bashan 重庆航天巴山摩托车制造有限公司 
    Honda just released those models recently and the Chinese are making copies of them in droves.

I personally prefer the Motorcycle Trabajo offered in Mexico and do not like so much these little sportier versions. I prefer a more conventional style in a small bike, like the Cargo 150, CGL125 TOOL and Supercub 110.

I believe the choice of braking is a matter for governments, some countries have different standards and some may have no regulations for braking at all. The engineers address that, the hp to stopping force and they are chartered for meeting it or exceeding and defining set standards. These all have drum brakes and I bet they work reasonably well on these models.

CGL125 TOOL

Cargo 150

SUPERCUB110

These are all old designs that Honda updated recently. These fill the line for a working class motorcycle fairly well if you ask me.

The GL150 which is basically the same as the Bashan, is an entry level sport bike, categorized by Honda under Deportivas….same bikes different body parts. It can get all the way up to this in different markets…but the bones are basically the same another version is called a Titan 150.

Titan 150

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast