Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi MCMers,

*Moderator, if I posted this wrong I am sorry, didn't know where to go*

It has come to a time where I'm in need of you MCMers updated expert opinions and advice again concerning price and getting plated in Shanghai. I've read plenty of post by bikerdoc and euphonius, how to get legal and plated and such, but couldn't find anything related to my headaches.

I went to this Benelli shop on Pubei Road this weekend (Saturday) and I immediately fell in love with the white Benelli with its red decor. I asked a young guy how much a Hu A plate would cost and he replied 80.000RMB. Today (Monday), when I called back and talked to an older woman (probably the owner or the owner's wife), she said the price plate was now up to 85.000RMB! The price was given to her by a 黄牛 "yellow cow", some guy who deals with plats and related. And to my surprise, it was a Hu B plate(?).

My question is; is the price given legite? I mean, it was 70.000RMB last month and it keeps heading north in a pretty fast pace. And what's the different between a Hu A and a Hu B? According to the older lady in the shop, there is no different. You can still drive in the inner circle with it, just that in the old time Shanghai, Hu A was for some kind of special vehical and then things changed, Hu A was then equal to Hu B. Is this information also legit?

I've been reading a post (I think it was by euphonius') when he got his steed plated and what a hassle it was. So I decided to ask the shop to plate it for me, just to avoid the inconvenience. How does this procedure usually go? I know that the shop charge a fee for doing this but since the plate cost 85.000RMB(!) could the fee already be included? Or are they trying to scam me now that they now I want to buy the beauty?

Some thoughts and advices are highly appreciated.

/Jackie

2. #2 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Sorry, don't know about the differences between Shanghai A and Shanghai B plates (actually, I have never heard of Shanghai B plates).

Anyways, I do know that many bike dealers in Beijing add at least 5K to the market price of a plate (Beijing is like Shanghai, inasmuch as A plates are in the secondary market). It is just pure profit for the dealers, usually inflicted upon foreigners. The dealer for one expensive foreign brand, in Beijing, adds at least 10K.

Wow, 85K ... expensive, but an investment, I guess.

3. #3 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Same here, not heard about a B plate, but it is possible.

We bought a Benelli for my friend at the same shop last month, and had the same problem.
    There are/were no motorbike Hu-A plates avaiable in the market, hence the only (small) supply is from the yellow-man.
    Don't have to tell those how to make money on it, pity for you.

My Chinese friend was in a big hurry to have the plate, not the bike, just for this.
    He predicts it will be 100k soon, guess he is right.

E.

4. #4 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Same here, not heard about a B plate, but it is possible.
    A friend (AJ) has a real Shanghai "B" plate and rego on his BMW 1200GSA bought from Joy Motor (Jimmy)......

5. #5 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info guys and I also did some investigation on my own. Hu A and Hu B are apparently equal, just that when they are running out of numbers on Hu A, they go with Hu B, Hu C and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    He predicts it will be 100k soon, guess he is right.E.
    Yes, that's why I went for it and bought a white one yesterday and coughed up 85000 for deposition and the damn plate. Still got 39800 for the bike and 5200 I didn't really know what I was paying for. Some mandatory insurance and other strange fees I guess. Now I just have to do the driver license switch. That's an interesting adventure too I heard.

However, I can't say that the shop owner wasn't helpful (atleast I guess the older woman was the owner). But on second thought, I'm buying a freakishly expensive toy so why wouldn't she be helpful? Just hoping that the maintenance service there is good and proffesional.

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Wow, 85K ... expensive, but an investment, I guess.
    That's what I'm hoping too...

6. #6 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieYuen View Post
    Hu C....
    limited driving in the suburbs only, not allowed to enter all districts inside the outer ring road (S20) cost under 10000RMB last time i checked during my Jialing sidecar registration.

C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinasam View Post

You can always check with the BMW or KTM shops near the HQ Terminal 2
    Hi, could you give me more details where to find the KTM dealer? Thanks a lot!

Tino.

8. #8 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by td101 View Post
    Hi, could you give me more details where to find the KTM dealer? Thanks a lot!

Tino.
    good selection of China bike shops http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...s-dealers.html

Merry christmas everyone and a happy new year! APrider

9. #9 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi,

I am currently looking into buying a bike for getting out of the city. Being registered downtown Xuhui, I understand that the right way would be acquiring the respective 户A plate. Since I am not willing to spend 5 times as much on the plate (even if it could be an investment), as on the motorcycle, but on the other hand trying to be as legal as possible - I guess going for a 户C plate might be an option.

How do you enable yourself for a 户C plate - register with a friend or company outside the city but within Shanghai boundaries? Does it actually depend on where you are registered?

Does anybody have an update what the current market price for 户C plates is?

Thanks!

10. #10 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    If you can't speak Chinese take a person who can into a local motorbike shop and ask the current prices for the plate you are looking for, what everyone you pick it's going to cost loads.
    The down side of living in SH mate
    The base line is pay up or move out ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast