Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Hey Sven,

I just spoke with a few shops earlier in July and they said the prices currently were

A plates (Inside Shanghai and you can carry a passenger) Approx 160K RMB
    C Places (Inside Shanghai but NO Passenger) Approx 25K RMB

You can always check with the BMW or KTM shops near the HQ Terminal 2 as they are regularly checking with brokers to find available plates for the bikes they sell. I think they currently have 2-3 bikes in their shop that are actually waiting for A plates to come on the market so they can deliver the bikes.
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

2. #102 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinasam View Post
    Hey Sven,

I just spoke with a few shops earlier in July and they said the prices currently were

A plates (Inside Shanghai and you can carry a passenger) Approx 160K RMB
    C Places (Inside Shanghai but NO Passenger) Approx 25K RMB

You can always check with the BMW or KTM shops near the HQ Terminal 2 as they are regularly checking with brokers to find available plates for the bikes they sell. I think they currently have 2-3 bikes in their shop that are actually waiting for A plates to come on the market so they can deliver the bikes.
    I think that the info regarding Hu C plate is inaccurate... rather than not allowing carriage of a pillion (all motorcycles that have a manufacturers spec/certificate that allows for carriage of 2 seated persons, will be plated as such) is probably meant to have been that the C plated bike cannot ride in the SH inner areas (either outer ring road or inner ring road) and nothing to do with how many persons could be carried. Likely as a result of something lost in translation?

As an aside all ebikes and eScooters are certified as for rider only, no pillion carriage allowed. Look around...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-01-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #103 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    From my 15 yrs experience buying and riding motorcycles in Shanghai, that was just my humble attempt at a simple explanation.

If you think it's inaccurate, then ante up and give a full professional translation of the difference.
    Sam --

4. #104 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    For engine displacement larger than a certain capacity you need yellow Hu A or Hu C in order to ride inside Shanghai proper. Yellow Hu A is allowed to travel just about anywhere in Shanghai, except a few marked roads that don't allow any motorcycle traffic, including all elevated highways. Yellow Hu C has a much larger forbidden area. (That explains the cost differentials between those two plates.) There is a post in a Chinese forum that clearly demarcate those restricted areas: http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17246656.htm Unfortunately it is in Chinese.

Other than the area/road restriction, there is no difference in other aspects of riding your motorcycle in Shanghai.

Cheers!

5. #105 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    I think you are confusing the difference between the Yellow Plates and the Blue Plates. The way they explained it to me originally was that Yellow (A & C) plates were allowed INSIDE the first ring road in Shanghai, but Blue plates (A & C) were only allowed OUTSIDE. I have no idea what the B plates represent.

-- I wouldn't go and bet on what a person writes about the law in a local BBS forum, but rather if you can find an actual Govt website source for this explanation that would be more viable.
    Sam --

6. #106 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    I think you are confusing the difference between the Yellow Plates and the Blue Plates. The way they explained it to me originally was that Yellow (A & C) plates were allowed INSIDE the first ring road in Shanghai, but Blue plates (A & C) were only allowed OUTSIDE. I have no idea what the B plates represent.

-- I wouldn't go and bet on what a person writes about the law in a local BBS forum, but rather if you can find an actual Govt website source for this explanation that would be more viable.
    As Milton has responded...
    Yellow 户A MC plated bike 牌照 can be ridden on SH roads inside the inner ring road on those roads not otherwise designated as MC's forbidden. The Shanghai 户C MC plate, is for outside that area (outside the inner ring road). If one rides inside the inner ring road with a Hu C plate, then one can be subject to a fine which is 200cny. Same as what occurs if one rides a 牌照 plated bike from an outside province inside SH inner ring road area...
    One nation of many little kingdo0ms... LOL

Think of 户A, 户B, 户C as equivalent to the area/zone that the MC is plated in. The further one is registered as living the cheaper the plate becomes. Plates 牌照 are limited in number as no new plates being made by the SH government for motorcycles. Consequently yellow motorcycle plates are transferable from one individual to another, unlike what occurs in other jurisdictions on the whole (aside from BJ). The finite supply of SH 牌照 plates is partially responsible for the ascending costs of said plates. Yellow 牌照 plates can be converted to a pair of blue car plates but not vice versa. When this occurs there is one less 牌照 plate in circulation resulting in even more upward pressure on SH 牌照 prices.

Blue MC plates are for MC's with engine displacement <49cc/mL. The blue 户A, 户B, 户C plates still relate to the area/zone the bike (49cc) is registered in.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...tric-scooters)
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-01-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #107 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    FYI: the original local BBS forum did indeed quote from an "actual Govt website", namely http://www.police.sh.cn.

8. #108 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #109 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    I have a a Shanghai Hu Yellow A Plate, and what you guys say above is mostly correct, except you can't ride on ANY elevated roads. I've been stopped and paid a 200RMB fine and got told to leave the elevated middle ring road. One of my friends who has a C plate of his CF650 got fined 200RMB for parking it within the Middle ring road area. The police said the C plate is not allowed within the middle ring road.

Having said that a few guys in my MC have C plates and do ride downtown but not in rush hour when there are a lot of police around.

The yellow A plate is far more expensive that a blue A car plate at the moment.

Another thing I discovered is that if you buy a second hand bike which has been registered with a Shanghai yellow A plate, you can't then put a yellow C plate on it, but you can upgrade from a C to A on a second hand bike.

10. #110 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by anguscharlton View Post
    I have a a Shanghai Hu Yellow A Plate, and what you guys say above is mostly correct, except you can't ride on ANY elevated roads. I've been stopped and paid a 200RMB fine and got told to leave the elevated middle ring road. One of my friends who has a C plate of his CF650 got fined 200RMB for parking it within the Middle ring road area. The police said the C plate is not allowed within the middle ring road.
    Obviously none of you guys read Chinese. A common misconception about yellow Hu C is using inner ring road as the demarcation enclosing the forbidden areas. Actually, the forbidden areas are based on the "qu" 区 (borough)and NOT on the inner ring road. They include 杨浦、虹口、闸北、普陀,长宁、徐汇、卢湾、黄浦、静安以及浦东新区的小陆家嘴、花木行政中心、竹园商贸三 个区域内的道路 (but mostly intersecting with the inner ring though). The link I provided in one of the posts has the map for those forbidden qu, which covers a lot more square kilometers than the inner ring. Having said that, I found that police don't usually stop yellow Hu C outside the inner ring. But then again, they might.

I own two bikes, one with yellow Hu A and the other Hu C, which I do ride into Jingan qu to work frequently. So far I have been stopped once, inside the inner ring road.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast