Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Ai yo, that means the bike has to go with the plates. In that case, anyone want to buy a fastidiously maintained 2011 Yamaha YBR250 w/ Shanghai Hu-A plates, 19,500 km for 95,000 RMB?

I'll post this properly when i have time this weekend...

2012-09-30 14.41.10.jpg
    Fred's YBR 250
    Micha's CF 650NK
    Christoph's JH600

2. #12 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Ai yo, that means the bike has to go with the plates. In that case, anyone want to buy a fastidiously maintained 2011 Yamaha YBR250 w/ Shanghai Hu-A plates, 19,500 km for 95,000 RMB?

I'll post this properly when i have time this weekend...

2012-09-30 14.41.10.jpg
    Why don't you sell the bike without the plates, so that you can keep the highly sort after Hu A plates for your next bike? If you have moved and live in the Hu C area, I'd still be tempted to keep the Hu A plate and apply it to your next bike. Can you not sell the YBR250 second hand, pay the sales tax etc so that the new buyer (if in SH or not) can get issued new plates? Seems to me that surely must be possible. You just need to separate the YBR from that set of plates to transfer to YOUR new bike. It's the plates that have the value, so if it were me I'd flick the bike and keep the plates. Or have I missed something?

3. #13 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Thanks bikerdoc. Background is I've come upon some expenses I need to take care of and I'd like to sell the plates for the cash. Ideally I sell the Hu A and put on Hu C.

But if I separate the bike from plates, the bike can't be replated with either A or C. This also means I'll only be able to get 5-6K rmb for the bike, says my bike shop guy.

The bike was 28k rmb after taxes etc about 18mo ago. So if all this is true, I can either sell plates alone and lose value on the bike or sell bike + plates all together.

Doesn't really make sense. Surely there are plenty of ppl not in SH who would pay 15k for the bike, who don't care about SH plates...

Fred's YBR 250
    Micha's CF 650NK
    Christoph's JH600

4. #14 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    I wouldn't sell my bike to a fellow motorcyclist, even less to a shop owner...

Till the plate is on it your bike value is boosted.

Just refuse to sell separately.

I think there are plenty people in SH who would pay +100K for ur bike and the plate, sell the bike for whatever the shop guy says or maybe even scrap it, and plate a brand new Audi...

I would write an announce on some cars buyers forums, wonder where to find that tho...

- - -

Anyone knows if one can own more than one 沪A plate?
    Last edited by braillce; 11-14-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: 100K maybe not 110...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #15 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    sell the bike for whatever the shop guy says or maybe even scrap it, and plate a brand new Audi...
    .....and taking another motorbike plate of the road in the progress.....
    Anyone knows if one can own more than one 沪A plate?
    short while ago someone told me foreigners can have two motorbike "A" plates now, not sure really, just run them through a company and you can have as many as you like as long you pay the $$$$$'s.....

6. #16 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I think there are plenty people in SH who would pay +100K for ur bike and the plate, sell the bike for whatever the shop guy says or maybe even scrap it, and plate a brand new Audi...

I would write an announce on some cars buyers forums, wonder where to find that tho...

I've said this before, but it seems worth saying again. Every time someone takes a Hu A plate off a bike and puts it on any Audi (or any other car), they reduce the stock of available motorcycle plates by one, thus increasing scarcity and demand and prices. Yes, you are free to do this, but since the government is issuing new plates for cars every month at auction, and the price is the same, it would be far kinder to your fellow motorcyclists to buy a car plate for your new car, rather than reducing the number of plates available for motorcycling.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post

Doesn't really make sense. Surely there are plenty of ppl not in SH who would pay 15k for the bike, who don't care about SH plates...

So really, some one like myself, living in Weifang, Shandong province, where there are no (known) restrictions on plates, could buy your bike, and have it shipped up here for plating?

Or am I off on a stupid mission again ?

Gra.

8. #18 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    So really, some one like myself, living in Weifang, Shandong province, where there are no (known) restrictions on plates, could buy your bike, and have it shipped up here for plating?

Or am I off on a stupid mission again ?

Gra.
    Yeah Graham, I think that would or should be doable. I sold a CF250T-F VIP scooter to a German guy living in SH and he got that registered and plated in SH, even though we did it with a new Ningbo plate in his German name at the time. We did it all legal, with second hand sales tax invoice etc. So should be something that can be done... but as always TIC! User beAware.

9. #19 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    [...] Every time someone takes a Hu A plate off a bike and puts it on any Audi (or any other car), they reduce the stock of available motorcycle plates by one, thus increasing scarcity and demand and prices.[...]
    The price is the same as the car plate.

Increasing scarcity & demand actually don't change it, which I don't really understand.

Probably cause there still is tons of em roaming the streets...

Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    [...]short while ago someone told me foreigners can have two motorbike "A" plates now, not sure really, just run them through a company and you can have as many as you like as long you pay the $$$$$'s.....
    I don't have a company, but I'll ask a shop guy to confirm that two A plates for foreigners rumor...

Thx.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #20 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    The price is the same as the car plate.

Increasing scarcity & demand actually don't change it, which I don't really understand.

Probably cause there still is tons of em roaming the streets...
    Well, they DO change.
    There are hardly any plates available, and the prices on the black market are much higher then the auction prices, perfectly reflecting the supply and demand ....

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast