Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    As 998S noted, in recent months there has been a growing gap between the price of a car plate at auction and a bike plate in the secondary market, and this will continue to be the case. It sounds as if you don't much give a shit about the growing scarcity and how it affects other riders, but I hope others will do their best to keep bike plates on bikes.

In the case of Fred's old YBR250, now in Tuna's hands, the best approach would be to delink the Hu A plate from the YBR, sell the YBR outside of Shanghai -- and we already have a candidate buyer in Weifang -- and then apply the Hu A plate to a new bike. This way Tuna has a legally plated bike that he wants, and continues to hold the Hu A plate, which is a buoyant asset. And Tuna does his bit to keep the pool of Hu A plates from shrinking.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    [..]It sounds as if you don't much give a shit about the growing scarcity and how it affects other riders [...] And Tuna does his bit to keep the pool of Hu A plates from shrinking.

cheers!
    Those laws are a machine to remove legit bikes from town, and its engine is people's taste for money, that is not going to stop.

If no friend of mine wants it when I live, I'll feed the machine and sell it to anyone ready to pay the 2nd hand market price plus my (boosted) bike price...

I'll help a fellow motorcyclist (or even a fellow citizen for that matter) by giving my own blood if it can help, and I give to beggars, but I won't give that money.

U can drive without the 沪A, are all local driving registered vehicles? It's just an investment.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

3. #23 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post

I don't have a company, but I'll ask a shop guy to confirm that two A plates for foreigners rumor...

Thx.
    Hi there,

Yes as a foreigner you can have 2 license Hu A plates under your name. I bought my first Hu A 3 years ago and my second one last August...

Cheers,
    Nicolas
    Yamaha YBR250 + Benelli BJ600GS

4. #24 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolast View Post
    Hi there,

Yes as a foreigner you can have 2 license Hu A plates under your name. I bought my first Hu A 3 years ago and my second one last August...

Cheers,
    Nicolas

I talked about buying a second one with a shop owner on sunday.

Yellow 沪A => 86K this December.

I guess I'll buy either a 80cc (7.5K) scoot or a small 125cc (???K) moto to "attach to the plate"...

What did u plate with ur 2nd 沪A?

He also told me it may go down a bit in Jan & Feb. ???

I think I remember it did go down at CNY period sometime in the past.

I'm afraid I'll wait till Jan, then the shop owner might say:

96K, sorry, didn't think it'd go up.

Any insight?
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #25 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Difficult to say as there is no rules but I also notice that there is some period to buy/sell...July/August are quite low usually and then go up from September to January. Few days before or after the CNY there is a slow down as I remember. if you look your license plate as a pure investment and not in the rush then better ask a real Shanghainese that now more about the strategic timing.

6. #26 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolast View Post
    Difficult to say as there is no rules but I also notice that there is some period to buy/sell...July/August are quite low usually and then go up from September to January. Few days before or after the CNY there is a slow down as I remember. if you look your license plate as a pure investment and not in the rush then better ask a real Shanghainese that now more about the strategic timing.
    Just asked my workmate to help on a little search on some Chinese official website about cars.

Indeed july august is the right time, too late for me now, best do it now.

沪A_Trends.jpg

I bought my 1st plate in November 2010 for 44K, talking about strategic timing...
    Georges Brassens

7. #27 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Interesting trends and you can clearly see that CNY provide lower prices usually but the summer effect is not as important as I thought except this year...Good luck mate!

8. #28 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Am I reading this correctly 。。。 户A plates are now 130K rmb?

Shanghai A plate prices

9. #29 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Am I reading this correctly 。。。 户A plates are now 130K rmb?
    Yes, if you can get a Shanghai "A" plate on the second hand plate market,just before CNY couple of new HD owners (110th. Anniversary HD bikes) just put a lot of $$$'s on the table to get bikes regoe'd before CNY.
    Even Shanghai "C" plates have a waiting list now and they go for around 13-15K now.....

10. #30 Re: Shanghai plates - price and advice 
    Banned
    might affect Shanghai bike plates in some ways.....

City ready to cool market for car plates
    SHANGHAI DAILY NEWSPAPER
    Mar 20, 2013

SHANGHAI is to take further measures to rein in car plate prices if current curbs on speculation fail to cool this month's auction, the city government said yesterday.

The average price for a Shanghai car plate has set new highs for eight straight months, surpassing the 80,000 yuan (US$12,872) benchmark in February and making the little metal plate almost three times more expensive than the cheapest car on the market.

"Car plate prices have recently gone beyond our imagination," Vice Mayor Jiang Ping said yesterday. "We need to take various means to bring them down."

New policies in the works include reserving new car plates for new cars only, organizing separate auctions for individual and corporate participants, and including second-hand car plate trading in the new car plate bidding system.

The first solution, aimed at enforcing a new rule that extends the holding period before a plate can be resold, may further push scalpers out of the game while the second would ease competition for individual buyers as corporates were often less price-sensitive, Jiang said.

The third solution is designed as the next stage of a policy introduced last Friday, which forbids second-hand car plates being sold for more than the latest average price for a new one starting from this month's auction.

To that end, the government is to strengthen its management of used car dealers, and keep a closer eye on illicit methods such as creating two different contracts to hide car plate prices from the authorities.

The government is also trying to improve the online auction system to make it easier for ordinary people, Jiang said.

Currently, many bidders hire proxy agencies. But they have been suspected of using special software to intercept bidding data and calculate the potential lowest successful bid near closing, cutting better deals for their clients at the expense of other participants.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast