Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Money to be made? Pattern parts. 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    We're all aware of how ridiculously high priced Japanese spares are. I believe this is part of the grand plan of "planned obsolescence" foisted on us by the Japs, but invented in the USA as far back as the 1920's... The other is the constant change of models and all their components so that no two bikes share bits. This way you exhaust the patience and pockets of owners and dealers and sell the punter a new bike. Less hassle, yeah?. Sod the Earths resources...plenty more where that came from.

The sample prices in the list below explain how out of the millions sold you'll see precious few Jap bikes older than 5 years about. The spares prices condemn them to an early grave in a breakers yard or back of the garage. They're simply not worth repairing if more than a few components need replacing. I think this stinks and it's not ethical. In these eco-aware days, the Chinese could usefully use statistics like these to encourage their sales. They could claim that although their bikes might not be as good or as long lasting as their Jap equivalents, they could be rebuilt cheaply forever...

The Americans have a perfect example of sustainability in their Harley Davidsons: The design dates back to the dawn of motorcycling, yet it's widely and universally copied by other makers. The bikes tour well, are light on chains, gas and tyres and the simple mechanics and availability of spares means they can be kept running till doomsday. There's no instant obsolescence with Harleys...

Remember British bikes and their "common parts"?. You could fit a 1960's BSA twistgrip to an 1949 AJS if you wanted. You could even make your own bike using bits from various manufacturers and from the accessory and aftermarket makers. Remember the TRITONS?. Home made superbikes using Norton frames and Triumph engines and all manner of off-the-shelf bits.

Having an hour to spare I searched parts prices for some Jap bikes. For example a CDI unit for my Yamaha costs $827...! After picking myself off the floor I decided to compare prices of Chinese bike spares with a similar Jap bike. I chose the obvious: My Qingqi QM200 v Suzuki DR200 as they're very similar. They do share lots of components. With the exception of the exhaust system, the components I chose look exactly the same in the parts books of both makes.

Here's a few examples:

Rectifier-regulator: Suzuki $158 Qingqi $24
    Starter relay: Suzuki $71 Qingqi $11
    Ignition coil: Suzuki $71 Qingqi $23
    CDI unit: Suzuki $351 Qingqi $45
    Exhaust complete: Suzuki $405 Qingqi $172
    Rear shock absorber: Suzuki $761 Qingqi $103

This last item is utterly ridiculous. I'm sure the original Suzuki shocker can't be 7 times better than the one supplied by Qingqi. Even if it was, I can buy 7 Qingqi shockers and pocket another $40 in change...Same with the exhaust system. There's nothing wrong with the Chinese one. It's very well engineered and made from a heavy gauge steel, beautifully welded. It should last as long or longer than the Suzuki masterpiece.

Similar ludicrous differences apply to mechanical parts, pistons, cylinders, chassis, wheels, etc.

To prove that some of these components are probably the same, here's an example: I ordered a genuine Suzuki DR200 foam air filter in the belief that it would be far better quality. On receipt I compared it with the Qingqi's and...exactly the same item. Same material, construction, etc. Curiously the price difference between the genuine Suzuki one and the Chinese filter was only $4.40.

Someone with business sense, and preferably already in the trade, so that bikes and their details could be compared and components even tried out, could see that with some research and finding out which Chinese machines share components with Jap bikes, could establish a business supplying Chinese spares as pattern parts for Jap bikes. I am sure the items above would work just as well on a Suzuki.

Just a thought... I'll sober up in a minute and realise this is all twaddle...there must be a catch somewhere.
    Last edited by forchetto; 12-01-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Mythbuster
    Probably find the Jap companies are getting there bits from the Chinese suppliers ..I have found this to be true in many cases ..and saw parts that were equal to any Jap bit I have tinkered with in Australia..I have been around bikes and the industry for near 35 years now..

I am after contacts ..web addresses and companies in China who will post small orders of accessories to Aust.

Any help will be appreciated...

The snag is creating a accurate cross-referencing database of all the parts and their applications. There's huge money in just that alone and not only for motorcycles but the little 50cc Chinese scooters as well.

In theory, all of these parts would need to be tested before they are sold but I guess some parts could be bought based purely on diagrams alone.

Mythbuster, there are hundreds of small companies who will ship various accessories to Aus but it depends on what you want. Whatever it is, you can probably find it in China. Check alibaba.com if you haven't already. That seems to be the "Holy Grail" for many Chinese manufacturers.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Mythbuster
    Thanks ..I will go nerding into Alibaba tonight ..after dinner and a nice glass of red of course..

A few thoughts and experiences with parts from China.

If you wandered into an export market and wanted to pick up some parts, the prices are pretty reasonable. For a QingQi 200, here are some examples:

Complete clutch lever with perch = USD 4.20
    Oil filter = USD 1.02
    Complete Mikuni Carburetor = USD 35.11
    Complete set of plastic parts (fenders/panels/headlight cover) = USD 45.00
    Complete rear shock = USD 45.00

Three problems you need to confront now that you have your inexpensive parts. Market share, application data, and liability.

How many QingQi 200's are out there? It's a popular bike, but I doubt there are more than a few thousand in any given region.

Application data is very hard to come by. Yes, you can cross reference a lot from the Japanese manufacturers, but even a simple lever program would entail 20 different part numbers. Do the math... 20 Levers X USD 4.20 each X 100 Piece minimum = $8400 USD just to have a good selection of levers. Maybe you can get lower minimums, but you still have freight and import tax to add to your cost, and don't forget your overhead.

Finally, there is liability. What happens if that $45.00 shock breaks and causes an accident? Do you really think an Alibaba trading company is going to have any kind of insurance to back up the product against a legal claim? Even if you were factory direct, I doubt you would have any support. If you do a little research into this, I don't think you can find product liability insurance any cheaper than 25-50k per year and that's some serious overhead to add in the equation.

I agree that some japanese products become obsolete quickly, but give a little credit too... the oil cooled GSX motor has been all over Suzuki's product range for two decades, GSX-R's, Katana's, Bandits etc. And though it may appear easier to swap out goodies on a Harley, I think "rebuilt cheaply forever" is not a byproduct of harley wisdom, but a simple miscalculation by the aftermarket industry that has flooded the market with cheap goods (most coming from Taiwan and China).

When you're buying an OEM Suzuki shock for $761 USD, you're basically getting a $100 shock with $661.00 worth of support and liability. When you buy a $45.00 Chinese shock, you're all alone... which is usually fine for an individual, but a little scary if you're running a reputable business.

I've been trying to figure this equation out for the last two years, but there really isn't a simple answer to get around the investment and liability issues.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    I've recently joined the Triumph motorcycles forum in preparation for my next bike, a Triumph Bonneville SE, and you can't get away from the far East even in that forum. I learn that my "British" classic is made in Thailand...yes really...and today I spot this fantastic pair of saddlebags being praised for their quality and finish. I though, hello? I've seen those bags somewhere before. A quick search shows they're made by Qingqi for OE fitment to some of their cruisers, like the QM250. They're being sold through ebay for around $115, not a word about their origin, but are said to be for Honda, Triumph, etc:

This is them on a Triumph:

And here they are on a Qingqi QM250:

Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

that is great spot forchetto, keen eye for detail.

Just don't tell 'em its chinese and they'll buy it by the truck load.
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

Mythbuster
    I am mainly after stuff for bigger bikes as popular in Aust ..stuff like the fancy mirrors ..billet alloy and plastic...led indicators and tail light replacement bulbs..air pressure indicator valve caps , HID headlight kits like the one I brought home for a mates m109 Suzuki (it now lights up the road ahead like a set of lights at night on a soccer field),small flyscreen fairings, heated grips, etc..
    I have made some contacts in the wife's home city in Henan but most of the good gear seems to come from Shanghai and Guang Zhou etc..if someone there who was interested in a sideline small business could help me..I just want to be posted a few boxes full at a time..
    In Australia I ride a DL1000 V-Strom...brought heaps of bits including a Givi lookalike top box home last trip (actually the box was full of stuff all45 litres of it )

But there is a big market for this stuff and the Dealers in Australia are ripping us off blind for after market accessories.
    Attached Images

MythBuster,

What is the general mark-up for these items in Australia? Take your top box for example? Heated Grips? HID kits? Would you say they're twice as expensive as say the US or Europe? 50% more? I know you guys pay a premium for photographic gear as well.

CC
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    MythBuster,

What is the general mark-up for these items in Australia? Take your top box for example? Heated Grips? HID kits? Would you say they're twice as expensive as say the US or Europe? 50% more? I know you guys pay a premium for photographic gear as well.

CC
    It's hard work living in a convict country the other side of the world...
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast