Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    Banned
    about 1 week ago, i was riding around town (its a small town outside a major city in southern china) with my 150 with my gf on the back with my friend riding my chinese 150

We pulled around a corner of a shopping street, sped up a bit and then BAM, this small shit chinese van jetted out from a sidestreet and stopped in the middle of the street, trying to take up 2 of the 3 lanes on the street. He had seen us coming and thought that we were going fast enough that if he got his van into the road quickly enough, and blocked enough of the road that I would hit him.... well i did not hit him... I am always alert and always ready to break quickly. ... so I did

he then finished turning his right after several seconds delay (probably surpised I stopped and did not hit him) and proceeded to turn another right down the next street... we followed him... he turned another right, and then another right... so we had caught him going in circles, scared a white and black man were now chasing him, he panicked and turned yet another right INTO A DEAD END STREET, so we cornered him in with the 2 bikes and gave him a little scare and then let him go (i do not speak chinese, so I just rage at the F heads in english)

Totally caught the ass, he had gone out with his wife that night to try to cause an accident to try and get some money out of an unsuspecting motorcycle victim.

So... what would you do if this happened to you? Now I always carry weapons on me, to protect myself from a gang doing this sort of thing (as this happens regularly in china, usually it will be a van full of chinese men 3-4 men).

Things that can be done if someone cuts you off and tries to attack you is:
    have a WHISTLE - blow it loud, keep blowing it
    turn on the motorbike alarm, or have a separate alarm on teh keychain
    use pepper spray
    use stun gun
    use baton
    lastly, use knuckles and a knife to defend yourself at close range

What can be done if someone cuts out from the side like that and actually does hit you... since they are still at fault, yet they will probably lie and say you were speeding or something?

I feel like my only recourse would be to beat them to death, as they just risked my life, i could have died... i figure the favor should be returned...

2. #2 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    C-Moto Regular
    "i do not speak chinese, so I just rage at the F heads in english"

Easy tough guy, I'm sure they would have come to their senses and realized your white privilege isn't something they want to mess with.

"I feel like my only recourse would be to beat them to death, as they just risked my life, i could have died... i figure the favor should be returned..."

Overreacting much?

You sound like a special type of bitter expat in China who, after staying for years in the country still can't speak a lick of Chinese but has plenty of hate for the locals. I saw your kind plenty of times when I lived in Beijing. I remember having lunch at Pizza Hut with my gf and my mum who had flown over from the UK and an American was sitting next to us who was sounding off about "Johnny McChink" and his ugly Chinese ways.

3. #3 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    You're talking nonsense Fawkes. If a car hits a bike car pays, that's how it works.

4. #4 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    C-Moto Guru
    Still not entirely sure that "guy fawkes" is trolling. On the one hand he is saying some incredibly ignorant stuff, but on the other he's asked a few legitimate questions. For now I'm just sitting back with a bag of Doritos, catching up on my MCM and watching the fur fly.

5. #5 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    never, ever carry something like a waepon on you!
    shouting is fine enough. I have done this once and it works quite fine. if situations escalated in any way, you should appear as victim and not as agressor.

6. #6 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 

7. #7 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    I watched this the other night, it was pretty good.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/

It's about how creating a fake web persona can go horribly wrong, when fantasy and fabrication collide in a real world encounter. It is behind the new MTV series of the same name.

8. #8 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    Quote Originally Posted by guy fawkes View Post
    So... what would you do if this happened to you? Now I always carry weapons on me, to protect myself from a gang doing this sort of thing (as this happens regularly in china, usually it will be a van full of chinese men 3-4 men).

I'd do what I always do, ride on, focus on what's in front, maybe yell or fake a kick after I've passed them...

I doubt a weapon will protect you from falling off ur bike, nor is necessary when simply following them is enough to scare them.

I've seen people caught stealing or doing scams here, they don't get scared, they'll laugh at you like it's funny.

I'm not sure they were trying a "hit and scam" on u.

Things that can be done if someone cuts you off and tries to attack you is:
    have a WHISTLE - blow it loud, keep blowing it
    turn on the motorbike alarm, or have a separate alarm on teh keychain
    use pepper spray
    use stun gun
    use baton
    lastly, use knuckles and a knife to defend yourself at close range

What can be done if someone cuts out from the side like that and actually does hit you... since they are still at fault, yet they will probably lie and say you were speeding or something?

Doing any of those "things that can be done" would just turn any witness this against u, whether he saw them trying to cause a hit or not.

But if on a non registered scooter with a helmet covering ur face, u probably could get away with it, if acting fast.

For close range, u sound like u could consider this:

WWI-knuckle-nkife.jpg

Doesn't it look overpowered just to "defend" urself against a chinese van driver and his wife?

I feel like my only recourse would be to beat them to death, as they just risked my life, i could have died... i figure the favor should be returned...

I've had that feeling a few times, just from careless right turners.

They had me fear for my life, why not to let them know how it feels?

Because acting like a criminal makes u a criminal regardless of ur reasons...

Just ride on, don't look back but don't forget, that's what riding is about anyways...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

9. #9 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    You're talking nonsense Fawkes. If a car hits a bike car pays, that's how it works.

thats good to know, but I would still want to beat the driver if he hit me

10. #10 Re: Night Rider - Be Cautious of Scammers Trying to Cause Accidents to get money 
    Banned
    Thanks, thats what ive been doing, just riding on after speaking my mind or just showing them with my face (and glvoes)

now that I have gloves with steel protection on the knuckles and fingers... anyone trying to bump me or swipe me quickly retreats once I show the gloves...

I suppose when they know they will die if they want to play games with someone on a motorbike, they smarten up fast

Thats a nice knife. I like the cold steel KOs for boot knives... and now its getting cooler, I can wear boots and bring a boot knive more often, they are really sharp and really good steel

Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post

I'd do what I always do, ride on, focus on what's in front, maybe yell or fake a kick after I've passed them...

I doubt a weapon will protect you from falling off ur bike, nor is necessary when simply following them is enough to scare them.

I've seen people caught stealing or doing scams here, they don't get scared, they'll laugh at you like it's funny.

I'm not sure they were trying a "hit and scam" on u.

Doing any of those "things that can be done" would just turn any witness this against u, whether he saw them trying to cause a hit or not.

But if on a non registered scooter with a helmet covering ur face, u probably could get away with it, if acting fast.

For close range, u sound like u could consider this:

WWI-knuckle-nkife.jpg

Doesn't it look overpowered just to "defend" urself against a chinese van driver and his wife?

I've had that feeling a few times, just from careless right turners.

They had me fear for my life, why not to let them know how it feels?

Because acting like a criminal makes u a criminal regardless of ur reasons...

Just ride on, don't look back but don't forget, that's what riding is about anyways...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast