Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Da jia hao

1. #1 Da jia hao 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey all

I'm from the States, just got to Hangzhou after a year in Shanghai. Determined to get my motorcycle license here. I got the car license in Shanghai but it's easy to get things done there. Anyone have experience with getting a license in Zhejiang? Motorcycles are banned in the city but I have been biking in the surrounding area and it's beautiful.

My bike just got stolen tonight. Will need a bigger lock for the motorcycle.

Cheers
    Carl

2. #2 Re: Da jia hao 
    Welcome.

And my condolences for the bike.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: Da jia hao 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome to MCM, and sorry about the theft -- and your new domicile in a "dry city". I'm thinking it might make sense for you to just get on the gaotie and do your motorcycle endorsement here in Shanghai, rather than going through the whole process from scratch in Hangzhou. The Shanghai license is good nationwide. You'll see in recent threads from Wuhan that since that city banned bikes they don't even issue motorcycle driving licenses any more. Hangzhou might well be the same.

You could do worse than dropping by your local police station, where you registered your residency, and ask them what's possible. And while you are at it, befriend your local cops and ask for a tour of the station. You never know when you'll need a friend in blue. And you'll help reduce the belief among many cops that foreigners think themselves above the law, etc.

Keep us posted!
    Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)