Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: What to buy?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: What to buy? 
    Sabine.. The riding a jialing is like trying to have sex with a limp dick.. Lot of potential, no performance. As far as purpose built bikes go they are boring boring boring. Thus saying, the company is still going and I know a couple guys who have done a lot lot lot of miles on them. They are accountants in government departments by the way...
    The CF will probably be a good bike.. Though probably not as exciting as the jialing, but probably more reliable. Apart from the 250cc scooter, the road bikes and the touring bikes are small. The road bike is not bad.. lots of shanghainese have them but the touring bike really does look rather sad and thrown together. As far as engineering goes, I'd put my money on the CF.. but at the end of the day you have to put your ass on it and ask yourself is it right for you.

2. #12 Re: What to buy? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    What about that used BMW F800GS that Ryan Pyle is selling. Wasn't that bike donated by BMW? I would think he's selling it for a good price?
    With Ryan in Russia this week and probably not reading MCM, let me chime in about the 800GS he's selling. This was decidedly NOT a donated bike; Ryan and Colin purchased both of the 800s they rode in the MKRide, and they've long since sold Colin's bike. (Same with the Royal Enfields they rode in India -- purchased retail.) The F800GS for sale is Ryan's. It definitely took a beating during their China ride, but Ryan had it fully serviced and restored by BMW Shanghai, including plastics, and the bike should be in excellent condition.

You'll get a fair price from Ryan, not a fairy tale price. 沪A plate not included.

As for the Chunfeng dual sport. A lot of us have been waiting/wondering about that bike since the vapor started leaking a couple years ago. Right now it's still a vapor sport bike, and I would not hold my breath.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: What to buy? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Ryans F800gs is CNY170,000 excluding the plate which he wants to keep for his next bike. Ryan rode it fairly hard on his and his brothers round PRC tour etc. But he has added so many extras, and had the bike serviced to the best of his ability by BMW in PRC. It is fairly modified with lots of additional extras. And the two F800GS's were bought, not donated by BMW.

Coincidently if anyone has any ideas at all about importing a NEW motorcycle into China, essentially the PRC government will hold its hand out for 70% of the MSRP (as they determine it which will be a gross price inclusive of any local taxes payable in the source country e.g. VAT, GST, stamp duties etc) added to the 70% will be an additional CNY30,000 as a one off fee, irrespective of bike cost. To those prices one has to factor freighting, shipping and any additional quarantine costs. This information is current and up to date as of yesterday. I know this first hand as I am attempting to import a new XT1200Z from Australia.

Some members might think that the figures and percentages are incorrect as I know that one or two members here on MCM firmly believe that vehicles can be imported into PRC legally and cost only an additional 40% on top of the purchase price. Sorry to burst the bubble, that is pie in the sky wishful thinking.

Just to quantify that the 70% I refer to is based on full MSRP plus any additional and applicable taxes in the country of purchase. Even if one can escape having to pay the GST, VAT or whatever taxes in the source country, the PR China authorities will calculate the 70% on the MSRP GROSS price, not NETT.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-22-2012 at 03:35 AM.

4. #14 Re: What to buy? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    Sabine.. The riding a jialing is like trying to have sex with a limp dick.. Lot of potential, no performance. As far as purpose built bikes go they are boring boring boring. Thus saying, the company is still going and I know a couple guys who have done a lot lot lot of miles on them. They are accountants in government departments by the way...
    The CF will probably be a good bike.. Though probably not as exciting as the jialing, but probably more reliable. Apart from the 250cc scooter, the road bikes and the touring bikes are small. The road bike is not bad.. lots of shanghainese have them but the touring bike really does look rather sad and thrown together. As far as engineering goes, I'd put my money on the CF.. but at the end of the day you have to put your ass on it and ask yourself is it right for you.
    Not to get into a dueling dual sport flame war about the Jialing JH600A, but in my humble (and biased) opinion it's far more than a limp dick boring accountants' bike. Believe it or not, it's thoughtfully engineered, far better built and designed than the Xingyue frankenbike that ChinaV has described, and for most of us who own them it's been quite reliable -- apart from the legendary ECU stalling problems that appear to have affected just one year's production run. Those of us with the JH600 made prior to 2011 have had little or now stalling problems, and those with the JH600A from 2012 forward are similarly unaffected. Those who got the 2011 model suffered badly.

I've ridden very few bikes in my life, so my range of comparison is basically my 2010 JH600 and my 2000 KLR650. Both are dual sport thumpers. Both get me from point A to point B, with huge enjoyment in between. The JH600 is relatively heavy, just shy of 200kg, and this means its power and torque must work harder to put it into play. The KLR at 170kg is a gazelle by comparison, and being carbureted rather than EFI'd seems to make it much more responsive. But both bikes will do 120-130kph on the expressway (a big asterisk in China) for hours and hours without breaking a sweat.

I'm delighted that we are starting to see more choices in the China market -- Benelli/Qianjiang, CFMoto/Chunfeng, and, soon (fingers crossed), Triumph at favorable-duty made-in-Thailand prices. But when it comes to mid-sized dual sports (i.e., 400-800cc), the Jialing remains a very good and reliable choice. You can, as many of us have, ride most any road in China, including dirt, mud, sand and gravel roads, with little fear of failure, and tons of riding enjoyment. It's not a kilobike or pocket rocket, but, with apologies to Jonsims, I don't turn to my motorcycle for thrills that might be compared with having sex. (Plenty of better options for that here.) But for the sheer joy of being able to go just about anywhere, even up small roads and even trails, without giving up the ability to cruise effortlessly at speed down the open highway, there's really no rival to the JH600. Yet.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #15 Re: What to buy? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    ....the Jialing remains a very good and reliable choice. You can, as many of us have, ride most any road in China, including dirt, mud, sand and gravel roads, with little fear of failure, and tons of riding enjoyment. It's not a kilobike or pocket rocket, but, with apologies to Jonsims, I don't turn to my motorcycle for thrills that might be compared with having sex. (Plenty of better options for that here.) But for the sheer joy of being able to go just about anywhere, even up small roads and even trails, without giving up the ability to cruise effortlessly at speed down the open highway, there's really no rival to the JH600 Yet.....
    agree 100%, the JL JH600 bikes (solo / sidecar) beat most of the other crappy "bigger" MIC bikes out there.....

6. #16 Re: What to buy? 
    I already contacted Ryan some days ago. Thomas is not willing to pay this high price and thats why I opened this thread.
    another idea, just for "Fun". in Munich we visited KTM this Summer. I sat on a fine bike which name I forgot. similar to the 800/650 GS. I could get both feet on the ground and I liked it on the spot.

7. #17 Re: What to buy? 
    Let's make it the other way round, for what do I need a bike.
    We plan to make a long distance ride next year. Lanzhou to the west, 600 km along the south of Gobi desert, crossing the mountains to the Qinghai Plateau, riding down Gansu Province to north Yunan and back to Lanzhou. 2800 km, 10 days. Rough road condition, long time sitting on the bike. Thomas has now his 1200 GS and I need something lighter but not weak.
    I can do the trip with my sidecar, no problem, but I will need a lot of power to bring the heavy beast home again

8. #18 Re: What to buy? 
    Thomas just told me the bike has ca. 900cc and is named Adventure

9. #19 Re: What to buy? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Thomas just told me the bike has ca. 900cc and is named Adventure
    A few of them KTM 990 Adventure bikes around Shanghai (legal import and Shanghai "A" plate / rego).
    Two of my mates have the Paris-Dakar Limited Edition in blue with orange frame.

http://www.ktm.com/travel/990adventu...l#.UK4euaVr25A

10. #20 Re: What to buy? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikefox View Post
    all right - we have some experience for this bike - 3 years sell it in Ukr - if you have questions - tomorrow will reply
    Before 2008 year this model had sale in Ukraine by our competitors and had big problems with gear box. now we sell 400cc bikes from Xingyue co with next versions :

Dakar

Dakar Sport

Dakar Cross

these three models has same frame and engine, and models Dakar and Dakar Sport has also same wheels, sh absorbers and many others parts (most big difference only for plastic)

we have Forum on our web site , but it has only russian language, and we can check situation for quality for these models directly from buyers ( bikers) .

many bikers write about next : after 3-4 thousand kms and repairing chinese illness for new bike - these models show good characteristics , small vibration of engine and give to rider only good emotion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast