Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: What to buy?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: What to buy? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    We plan to make a long distance ride next year. Lanzhou to the west, 600 km along the south of Gobi desert, crossing the mountains to the Qinghai Plateau, riding down Gansu Province to north Yunan and back to Lanzhou. 2800 km, 10 days. Rough road condition, long time sitting on the bike. Thomas has now his 1200 GS and I need something lighter but not weak.

Your trip plan overlaps quite a bit with what Motokai and I did last July. Both of us were on JH600. Our jialings performed amicably without breaking a sweat on highly varied road conditions in that part of the country, including expressways. The trip lasted over 5000 km in 17 days. The Jialing has more than proven itself.

The link:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...sha-to-Ürümqi)

By the way, you don't want to miss Qilianshan right along the Gansu and Qinghai boarder for your trip.

2. #22 Re: What to buy? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Thomas just told me the bike has ca. 900cc and is named Adventure
    The new price of the KTM 990 Adventure models is even more than that of a F800GS I think, so I doubt you'll find any of those for a reasonable amount of money in China!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #23 Re: What to buy? 
    Based on what bikerdoc said, here's a great option for China roads. I know Ducatis, KTM's, and BMW's are beautiful, but when it comes to bang for your buck and real world performance, you really can't beat the 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom.

The V-Strom 650 was named one of the "ten best" bikes under $10,000 by Motorcyclist (USA) magazine, October, 2007—beating out, among many others, the V-Strom 1000. In a September 2006 article, Cycle World magazine wrote "the DL650 may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today."[11] A 2004 article from MotorcycleUSA.com said "it was hard to imagine another machine with a competitive versatility-per-dollar ratio."[7] Twice consecutively, the DL650 has earned the title "Alpenkoenig", winning German Motorrad magazine's trans-alp multi-bike test in 2005 and 2006.[12]

Fortunately, Hong Kong is right next door and sells the V-Strom, so you won't have to spend much at all to get it here.

Purchase Price: ¥57,892.81
    China Tax of 70% = ¥40,524.97
    "One Off Fee" = ¥30,000
    Transportation = ¥2,500
    Necessary upgrades for China touring and abuse = skid plate, hand guards, hand warmers, centerstand, side & top cases, crash bars = ¥10,000
    Total = ¥140,917.78

That's less than half the price of the majority of the Harley's, Ducati's, KTM's, & BMW's you would ever have a chance at getting here.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #24 Re: What to buy? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I know Ducatis, KTM's, and BMW's are beautiful, but when it comes to bang for your buck and real world performance, you really can't beat the 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom.
    I rode one here in BJ about a month ago, and must say it's a really nice bike to ride indeed. Definitely wasn't used to having so much power in low rpm after driving my JH600, which I need to keep in higher rpm. You can easily stay in one gear higher and the 650 V-Strom will still have plenty of power to pick up.

I had no idea it's possible to get it for that price in China, think it's time I start saving money haha!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #25 Re: What to buy? 
    Triumph Street Tripple 675
    Triumph Tiger 800

it seems a "new" player is soon here. looks nice and, maybe, the price could be OK. I really hope that soon China thinks about the hight taxes

6. #26 Re: What to buy? 
    The V Strom seems to be a great bike. After reading the German bike magazine report I should review my intended purchase activity. It got a unbeaten high score.

The V Strom looks like a real good option.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #27 Re: What to buy? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    ...you really can't beat the 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom ... Just a thought.
    Qili motors (Beijing) has just posted on a Chinese forum that it will "soon" be offering the 2013 V-Strom 650 (guess-timated in the 70K range).

Now, we all know "soon" can mean anything in China, and the estimated price can be significantly "revised" on delivery.

I personally might know more "soon", as there is a GW event at Qili tomorrow (sponsored by Suzuki-China, with some Suzuki bigwigs apparently in attendance) and four of us laowai GW owners have been invited to give feedback of our foreign-experience. Apparently Suzuki is offering free food (noodles?), and Qili will also giving each of us a test ride on the new Loncin/BMW 650 ... therefore, all of us will certainly be going. Hey, Mr. Motokai ... some of the girls' riding club are joining us 4 old guys ... quick, catch a flight ... you can be the youngin!

Hopefully, will have an update "soon."

Link

8. #28 Re: What to buy? 
    this price can't be real!
    The bike on the photo is a 2013 Version and cost 8700 Euro = 71300RMB

we getting closer by adding
    + dealer profit
    + import duties
    + import bike tax
    + QIC fees
    + plating service
    + ???

... we might end up at 120k RMB + plate costs

VStrom2013.jpg
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #29 Re: What to buy? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    this price can't be real!
    No idea, but I suppose it is possible, given that it looks like it will be built in China (Haojue Suzuki). Not yet on its website, but there have been press releases (for whatever that is worth).

Same situation with the Haojue Suzuki GW250 - cheaper in mainland China than Hong Kong, Europe, etc.

Anyways, we'll see. First, the bike has to arrive. Although, in my experience, Qili Motors is pretty good about not making an announcement unless things are pretty firm.

10. #30 Re: What to buy? 
    if its going this way .... let me know where to queue up for getting rid of cash :-)
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast