Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Just thought I'd share this information;

The cost of importing a NEW motorcycle into China as at 2012-Nov-21. The PRC government will hold its hand out for 70% of the MSRP (as the PRC authorities determine it to be, no matter how much one might pay or the invoice produced, which will be a gross price inclusive of any local taxes at the source country e.g. VAT, GST, stamp duties etc if any) added to that aforementioned 70% of MSRP will be added an additional CNY30,000 as a one off fee, irrespective of bike cost. To those prices one has to factor freighting, shipping and any additional quarantine costs, and does not include any costs associated with plating or insurance. This information is current and up to date as of yesterday. I know this first hand as I am attempting to import a new XT1200Z from Australia.

Some members might think that the figures and percentages are incorrect as I know that some members here on MCM firmly believe that vehicles can be imported into PRC legally and cost only an additional 40% on top of the purchase price.
    Sorry to burst the bubble, that is pie in the sky wishful thinking.

To quantify, the 70% the PRC authorities calculate is based on the source countries MSRP plus any additional taxes (e.g. VAT, GST etc) which is then the GROSS price, which is what the 70% is calculated on, irrespective if one has to pay said additional taxes at source or not. The PRC authorities will not calculate the 70% on the NETT price. If ones invoice shows a figure not in line with the MSRP PRC authorities expect then they make up their own MSRP. Remember too that this for importing a NEW motorcycle, not used (which are not allowed in).

This information came directly from the authorities to me yesterday. It also explains why foreign sourced motorcycles bought through legitimate dealers cost so much in PRC, after all they are in business for profit. Essentially the price of a new legal imported Harley, BMW, Kymco, Suzuki <insert your make, model here> is double to sometimes triple the cost here in PRC as what it might be in many overseas markets. It's not so much price gouging by local dealers, but rather reflects the 100-110% taxes and duties paid just to get said bike landed inside PRC. It also explains the rampant black market.

There are a few special circumstances, and caveats to all this, country of origin, the country of manufacture and whether or not there is any FTA in place, who is importing said motorcycle and what country that person is from, what work unit one is attached to and so on.

Also to import a motorcycle also requires a special importation license, which I have access to. So while there are many contributing factors that can alter the above "figures" the reality is that for the majority, figure on around 100-110% of the regular MSRP of a new motorcycle in non-refundable duties, taxes and additional fees to get the bike landed in PRC.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-22-2012 at 03:14 PM.

2. #2 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    Tit for Tat. The other countries should do the same with every exported chinese bike

3. #3 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    There's no point in getting annoyed with the Chinese authorities. It's the other countries governments that allow the Chinese government to have their cake and eat it. Damn they must be laughing their asses off. We export millions, but you can't export into the worlds largest economy unless you pay us.

4. #4 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Interesting information - thanks bikerdoc.

Perhaps your information might apply to private individuals, doing a "pure" import. There are other situations, however, to allow a foreigner who is the registered owner of a WFOE (under certain circumstances) to import a vehicle for personal use, at substantially reduced rates. And, in a few cases, at zero rates.

Also, there are WFOE categories that allow the importation of goods under reduced rates if certain conditions are met (and within business scope and purpose). It also depends on where the goods are landed (e.g., Tianjin). A registered WFOE with an import license has a separate schedule for import tariffs (different than private individuals).

There are also provisions to allow the importation of a private vehicle for extended work visa categories. I was once shown a guy's 2 year residency permit in his passport that identified a Porsche 911 as having come in with him. Long story, but the car is not being driven by him. It is zooming around the snow-covered lanes of Heilongjiang, driven by the Chinese big-boss.

It has been a while (pre-2005), but I recall that the US Embassy was actively involved in the original HD story, re duties and tariffs potentially contravening WTO provisions ... this was apparently quite a contentious issue, as China had only recently been included in the WTO. I have only heard rumors that the "HD deal" was "special circumstances" and has grandfathered through recent changes.

There is a guy in Beijing who is bringing in HDs, legally, and able to legally plate them, with a price about 15 - 20% less than the official HD dealer - the wrinkle is, however, HD China does not recognize them as eligible for warranty service (no surprise there, as this also happens back home between Canada & the USA). I've seen a couple of his 2012 bikes. Obviously, I don't know much about the inner workings of his financials, but he is managing to somehow do it (and presumably turn a profit). He's also the "unofficial" Triumph, Kawasaki and KTM "dealer" in Beijing ... legal bikes.

Oh, I think it also matters on which country the vehicle is coming from (e.g., presumably the Thailand Triumphs will be less "taxed" under the two countries' FTA).

Nevertheless, 99% of us here would be trying to privately import a vehicle, so your info is very helpful. Tx again.

5. #5 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    There is a guy in Beijing who is bringing in HDs, legally, and able to legally plate them, with a price about 15 - 20% less than the official HD dealer - the wrinkle is, however, HD China does not recognize them as eligible for warranty service (no surprise there, as this also happens back home between Canada & the USA). I've seen a couple of his 2012 bikes. Obviously, I don't know much about the inner workings of his financials, but he is managing to somehow do it (and presumably turn a profit). He's also the "unofficial" Triumph, Kawasaki and KTM "dealer" in Beijing ... legal bikes..
    We have 3-4 motorbike "importer... dealer... distributor" around Shanghai region doing exactly the same as you write in your post, warranty and service work is the main obstacle but they are legally imported brand-new bikes and they can be plated and registered in Shanghai or elsewhere.....

6. #6 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Just had a very quick telephone chat with a riding buddy, who used to work at a senior level with China Customs, and is now with a major consulting firm. His specialization is advising corporations on vehicle importing. Among many other things, he was involved with setting up a major foreign motorcycle manufacturer's entry into China (I shouldn't name it without his permission).

Anyways, the very condensed version is:

1) Import duty on new motorcycle is 30% since 2005 (was 50% previously). Is scheduled to be lowered to 20%. There are, however, commercial (and diplomatic, of course) exceptions to this rate (i.e., lower), but it is quite complicated.
    2) There are many other charges/taxes, over and above the duty, most notably the Chinese VAT of around 17%.
    3) There are many restrictions about what private individuals can import, and "agent" and "broker" fees can be extremely high.

His closing comments were:

1) It purposefully isn't easy (or inexpensive) for a private individual to do it. The government isn't concerned about foreigners doing it - they are concerned about the one Chinese family member studying in the USA, buying HDs comparatively cheap, and each of that student's 100 relatives back home in China importing "one each".
    2) He'll try to get me some pdf docs over the coming weeks (which, in my experience with his promises, would mean months) that outlines everything, step by step.
    3) His final comment in our quick conversation was ... "F man - your hair is already turning grey - why bother jumping into the grave sooner? Just buy one here. You'll thank me for my advice!"

I'll try to get more info, but probably by the time all is said and done, 70% seems ballpark.

7. #7 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks Bikerdoc,

Well that 70% has well and truly burst the bubble of any thoughts of me bringing in my own motorbike.
    Any way, I think, any used bike isn't allowed to be imported any way, so that's a double burst bubble.

Can one bring in a motorbike for a set period? of say 12 months or any thing?

Gra.

8. #8 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Can one bring in a motorbike for a set period? of say 12 months or any thing?
    NO​......

9. #9 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks TB,

I thought as much.

Really is a dead duck situation, whichever way one looks at it.

Gra.

10. #10 Re: Importing motorcycles from abroad into PR China 
    Product description: CB500R
    Product category: Engine Capacity: 501 - 800 cc - Exceeding 500 cc but not exceeding 700 cc (87114000)
    Product value: US$5500.00
    Country of manufacture: United States
    Total customs value: CH¥44533.68
    - Duty: CH¥17813.47
    - Consumption tax: CH¥6927.46
    - VAT: CH¥11776.68
    Total import duty & taxes due: CH¥36517.62
    Total landed cost: CH¥81051.30
    at USD/CNY exchange rate of 6.2285

Calculation notes

Notes on duty & taxes rates

• CB500R has an import duty rate of 40% and VAT rate of 17% , Consumption Tax rate is 10%.

Notes on import taxes due

• Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast