Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Arrived in Shanghai Friday 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi MCM....
    Just arrived from Detroit Mi for a work assignment planned to last 2-3 years. We've been planning the move for a few months as I'm sure many of you have done. My Family and I are looking forward to the many new challenges and adventures. I will miss my avid hobby of off-road riding that was very accessible in Michigan and as we'll as my other severe distractions of Touring ( typically 6-8k miles/year) and the occasional track days. I'm hoping to learn more from the forum what types of riding and the requirements to do so here or on vacation trips in the region. I've already started to hatch a plan for a New Zealand tour via rental bike...I shipped my touring and track day gear just in case...the dirt bike gear was left home. Any advice welcome...I'll be surfing the threads more in my spare(?) time.

2. #2 Re: Arrived in Shanghai Friday 
    Banned
    well i'm sorry to hear you had to come here... but thats how things are when all the labor jobs get moved to here, eventually the rest of us western workers have to follow cause all the damn jobs left north america and europe...

its either that or they bring the retarded chinese labor to north america, and hell, people wouldnt deal with that kind of stupidity around them...

so its go where the work is...

you can get a bike here, though im not sure about where you can and where you cant, but if you want to do the cross china thing, you will need to regsiter the bike or get someone to register the bike for you atleast. You probably dont Neeed a drivers license, but you can generally get that for about 1000$ no requirements other than passport and cash and put your name on a test paper or something.

you can also get a stronger than 250 cc bike, you just have to check import stores, if your in shanghai, there should be some around there. I've been contemplating getting some faster more powerful road and sport bikes myself..

3. #3 Re: Arrived in Shanghai Friday 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by guy fawkes View Post
    You probably dont Neeed a drivers license, but you can generally get that for about 1000$ no requirements other than passport and cash and put your name on a test paper or something.
    You mean 1000 RMB not USD right ?
    Shanghai Apartments for Rent and Sale!

4. #4 Re: Arrived in Shanghai Friday 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Engeng,

Warm (belated) welcome to MCM and to Shanghai. Please ignore one of the earlier posters, who already has been harmonized. We've got an active circle of riders here in Shanghai, and ride through the winter. Winter also provides ample opportunity for (No-)Bike Nights and other fellowship.

Hope you'll spring for a bike here in Shanghai, and earn your stripes as a China rider.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Arrived in Shanghai Friday 
    Welcome, please dont feel you have to give up any of your riding passions just because you are in Shanghai. I tour on my bikes, I do track days, off road riding (albeit less then what you are used to) moto-camping and other bike related events all throughout Shanghai and the rest of China. Most of us here on MCM do many if not all of those things every weekend and we often do bike trips in groups. So please dive in and look around most of your questions have been answered at nausium even before you got here! Get legal get a bike and join us.... Let your China adventure begin