Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Beijing-Kashgar-Shanghai, need some moto love to help me get there 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'd like to first start off by introducing myself to the China Moto Community. Name is Andrew, soon to graduate student from the University of Michigan in the U.S, howdy! Also wanted to say how happy I was to find this forum, because I think it will save me and my friend a lot of headaches if we are to really do this trip.

How to begin? Well after five years of school I'm ready to move back to China, get a job (fingers crossed), and traverse it on bike, something I've been dreaming about doing for a long time. My friend Jon and myself are applying for a travel grant that will award us with $3000 to put forward towards our trip. The group awarding the money is called Wild China http://www.wildchina.com/, a pretty cool group if you ask me. At any rate, the award will be awarded to the group with the most 'novel' and 'exciting' travel plan in combination with the most social media 'hype' (likes, views, etc.) garnered. So we are reaching out to the China moto community for a helping hand. I know that not everyone has a vpn in China but for all those that can and are willing to help us out, could you check out our youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej_Ux...ature=youtu.be and facebook http://www.facebook.com/ARideAcrossChina pages and like them both? I'm usually a heckler for spaming people but every thumbs up/like really will make a difference. Thank you guys for all your help and support on that front!

Now on to the reality of our trip. For starters you can check out the summary of why we're doing this and where we will be going in the youtube clip (if you can view it). For those who can't we will be heading westward from Beijing into Inner Mongolia and Qinghai. From Qinghai going north into Xinjiang, where we will stop in Kashgar. From Kashgar we will head into Tibet, stopping in Shigaste, and then onto Yunnan, finally ending in Shanghai. For a complete route I can upload a google map link if anybody is interested.

This is just a start on the thread but we would love to hear any personal advice about what we should know before we tackle this journey. Most importantly, I will be most likely with a Z visa by the time we start our trip, how easy / or possible is it for me to get my friend to be legal to drive throughout our trip? With a tourist visa is it possible for him to ride if I have plates on the bikes? Secondly, has anybody ridden bikes through Tibet? Beyond the TTP permits, is there anything above and beyond that a motorcyclist would need to apply for?

These are just starters for now, but I know I'll have a lot more once the time gets closer. I want to sincerely thank everyone for their support and help.

Andrew

2. #2 Re: Beijing-Kashgar-Shanghai, need some moto love to help me get there 
    Search button.

The odds are against you. You won't be able to get your friend legal without a long term visa. You won't get into or through Tibet without a licensed guide (poof goes your $3000 dollars).

Looks like the WildChina 2013 Explorer Grant ended November 16? If the 2011/2012 winners are an indication of your competition, a motorcycle trip pales in comparison to what they did.

Good Luck.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Beijing-Kashgar-Shanghai, need some moto love to help me get there 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks China V!

We have been told by a friend in Shanghai that there are ways to get around the 'licensed guide', but that is all hear-say. We're going to keep going for it though.

Cheers
    Andrew

4. #4 Re: Beijing-Kashgar-Shanghai, need some moto love to help me get there 
    It would be highly unlikely you would be able to get through the big T even with a "licensed guide" it was closed to foreigners this past summer season and I just read about more protests.I don't think this issue is going away any time soon.

There is no way to get around the "no licensed guide"People have done it in the past but things have changed big time.

Running check points now would not be wise.

Try doing a search of this site here is one to start you off http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ssing-Question

5. #5 Re: Beijing-Kashgar-Shanghai, need some moto love to help me get there 
    I'm planning almost the same trip next summer. About Tibet I think there was some psot about two guys stopped in Tibet without the permit. They kept their bikes and sent them straight back to their country.
    JH-150GY-3

6. #6 Re: Beijing-Kashgar-Shanghai, need some moto love to help me get there 
    Hey there, I hate to be pessimistic but I think the colleagues here on MCM have a point.

You could try and contact http://www.ridechina.com/ These guys seem to know what they are doing and can help organize rides in the Tee-Zone. But you have to go with them, so they would be your licensed guide.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3