Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    Congratulations on surviving the ordeal. I am sure you will enjoy the telling the whole story for the rest of your life. There is some great riding for sure. Ride safe.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

2. #22 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi All,

Back again.

OK, first thing this morning we went to the translation office.
    We got my UK licence translated with the additional categories.
    Their excuse was, "well with getting a car licence, we didn't think you wanted a motorcycle licence also"
    So my wife laid into them saying, why the hell they just didn't do a correct translation first time, instead of "what they think" - a translation is a translation, and should not have bits added, nor removed.

So then back to traffic dept.
    Great girl on the desk, so my wife explained to her, regarding the incorrect translation, and that we would like to add "D" to the "C1"
    The girl said there is 3 ways it can be done.
    So she made a few phone calls, and said, it might be able to be done, or might have to take the test again, to add motorcycles.
    She said, but don't worry.
    1/ She will refer it higher, first wait to see how the "higher up the chain of command" say.
    This could take up to 2 months, they might just add it on out of good will, as I got my motorbike licence way back in 1996, some 16 years ago.
    So she has our contact details, and all the required photocopies.
    She said if that fails,
    2/ Then I can go to another traffic office, pay 400 rnb, and do a shortened test, and then it can be added.
    or.
    3/ Cancel my new C1 licence from yesterday, and sit another exam tomorrow, which will include car and bike questions, costing about 65 rnb.

First she said, "we will try the free way, takes a bit of time, but who rides a bike in Weifang in the winter !!"

We agreed, no rush for the "D" licence just yet, the "C1" is OK for now.

Attachment 9369

A few more licenses from around the world.

Gra.
    When and if you go to Xinjiang to get your tourist business happening and they give you the old come back latter story do not be surprised that the person you spoke to has disappeared ie never was here,moved to different Govt dept,never heard that name etc etc but probably the response will be start all over again.

In relation to your license I think you just got blown off ie they hope you will go away and forget about it because they will.

I showed them quite a few licenses that I had they couldn't of cared one bit unless they were Chinese.

3. #23 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I'm with BD on this: If you have not heard back from them in 48 hours, I'd go back in and ask for option 3 -- cancel the C1 and start from scratch on a C1D or C1E. The longer you wait, the more frustrating it will be.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I'm with BD on this: If you have not heard back from them in 48 hours, I'd go back in and ask for option 3 -- cancel the C1 and start from scratch on a C1D or C1E. The longer you wait, the more frustrating it will be.
    cheers
    +100%

5. #25 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    C-Moto Regular
    Totally agree - don't wait to long...push them. Otherwise it will never happen!!!!
    Same thing happend to one of my friends here in Beijing - he pushed hard and got a new license with C1E one week later.
    Dont accept a NO for an answer!!!
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

6. #26 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    I have learned one thing in China: go ahead! take action and dont relay on promises

7. #27 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    I have learned one thing in China: go ahead! take action and dont relay on promises
    Must do so smiling

8. #28 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I passed my Chinese driving licence test.
    Gra
    Hi all,

Little more on my drivers licence.
    As a recap.
    As you can all see, this is just a "car" licence ie "C1"
    So the following day we went back to the test station, and questioned the error, "why didn't I get the C1D or C1E.
    So the girl checks through, and on the driving licence translation, from their "approved translator" there lies the error.
    They had only put down the car licence, totally missing off all the other categories, including motorbikes.
    A quick return, and the correct translation was issued, then right away to the vehicle test station.
    The girl, made a few phone calls, and asked a few colleagues, then told us, the appeal would be sent to Jinan, which is the capital of Shandong, main traffic department.
    The wait would be 3 months.
    To see if my new licence could be amended with the added motorbike the category.
    As it is middle of winter, at the moment, I don't have any plans to ride a bike any way.

Question, is this just a "fobb-off" or on production of the corrected translation, copies of my other licenses, etc, can motorbikes be added to my C1 licence?

Gra.
    Last edited by Graham; 01-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.

9. #29 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Graham,

Sorry to see you being put through this. You are giving the system way too much credit. I'd bet my last nickel that at the end of the three months, no one will remember this request and you'll be right where you are now, with a license that does not make you legal on the bike. And spring will have arrived, and rather than getting out and enjoying Taishan and so many other great riding places in Shandong, you'll be stressing about getting your license -- all over again.

My advice, since you asked: Now's the time to do it, and get it right. In your previous round with these idjits, one of the options was to cancel the C1 and start the process anew, making sure this time that they don't "improve" your application by ignoring your request for the C1D or C1E. You know the process now. The test questions are (relatively) fresh in your memory. The cost will be a couple hundred RMB. And you'll fruitfully use your winter downtime to get ready for spring. Just be damned sure that when they cancel your C1, you can immediately and without question apply for the C1D or C1E. Do it while you are there, on the spot, and don't leave till the application is accepted.

I do think they are yanking your chain, and their efforts will come to naught. In China's system, kicking something upstairs is the standard way of washing hands of responsibility. Nothing will happen, then in three months time you'll go back and hear those lovely words: 没办法. Mei banfa. Can't be done. If there were a banfa, the deed would have been done by now.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #30 Re: Hip ! hip ! horay !!! - Got my Chinese Driving Licence 
    This lies in the cultural or lack of mentality of China. This is what most people think and why by accident or on purpose your motorcycle entitlement was left off:

1. Motorcycles are rubbish, everyone had one back in the day when they were poorer. (They had a garbage POS China 125cc bike with rock hard tires).
    2. A car shows that 'you've arrived' no face can be gotten by giving someone a lift on the back of a bike.
    3. Chinese are generally in love with cars, keep you warm in the winter, cool in the summer, you can impress your friends with your poor taste in lossy Chinese/Italian techno music or Kenny G, overpriced seat and steering wheel covers and awful taste in mirror and dashboard kitch adornments.
    4. Motorcycles are dangerous, there is no word in Chinese for exciting or thrilling. It is either safe or dangerous and dangerous is bad, unless you are drunk out of your mind. Plus with Chinese rider training standards or lack of they really are dangerous.
    5. Most Chinese are quite happy 'in the box' matching baseball cap group tour travel, factory work, never leaving their apartment or city seems not to make them yearn for nature, get itchy feet or escape for a blast in the country.
    6. Laowais are rich therefore rich people like cars and buying cars supports the Chinese economy and helps the government maintain harmony (unsustainably).
    Written in jest with underlying cynicism.

Honestly the best way to fix this is with backdoor guanxi, should be quite easy in a city with so few foreigners. If you are a teacher find a student with a parent who works for the Gong An make friends and explain your problem and ask if there is a way it can be fixed. If you work in a Chinese company find a colleague with a spouse who works for the Gong An.

Also I wouldn't let this stress you too much. You have a car license and that is well enough for me to happy with if I were living in Weifang and everything else was legal, I might still ride in the spring, maybe not in the cities, but possibly in the countryside if everything else was legal, as you'd be 'riding out of class' this is still illegal and punishable quite severely. Now I'm not saying that you should, I'm saying I might or probably would, although ideally I'd like to fix this and get motorcycle entitlement.

Best of luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast