Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 needing to replace drum brake shoes 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm needing to replace my drum brake shoes but aint sure where to measure. Would it be the drum in the wheel that I measure or the actuall shoe? I have no idea what size shoes I need.

2. #2 Re: needing to replace drum brake shoes 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Sorry your question has gone unanswered, and I suspect it's for lack of information about what you are looking for. I had a quick look through your earlier posts and saw references to a Lifan Hibird QH250GY. Is that the case?

Here in China, drum brakes probably remain more common than disc brakes, so shoes and other parts are widely available (not that Chinese riders are highly conscientious about brake maintenance). So far as I know, drum brakes on China bikes use a narrow range of brake shoe sizes, and this should be pretty obvious if you pull the drum open and extricate the shoes. They'll likely have legible markings that will indicate a model or size or both, and maybe a brand.

Your profile does not say where you are, which also makes it difficult to help. Here in China it would be pretty easy to find what you need, but not so much if you are in Tahiti or Timbuktu. If you take your shoes into a decent parts house you may find what you need, especially if they deal with any volume of China bikes.

See if these 520 shoes in Taobao don't look about right?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: needing to replace drum brake shoes 

4. #4 Re: needing to replace drum brake shoes 
    C-Moto Regular
    I looked over the info both sent, I dont remember a bar on the shoes that moved. I think it's just two shoes with two springs. I'll get a better look pretty soon when I take it apart and measure the drum for just incase. I was thinking maybe have them rebuilt, I think some companies use to do that. Just take them in and they redo them, I'd guess any brakes but don't know.

I'm in the USA as in Arkansas. There was a parts dealer in Oklahoma but now I'm having to search the internet and I'm finding very few parts that are easy to order. For one my motorcycle is a Lifan Hi Bird 250, and I just can't find parts. I can look at what I'm needing visually and size them up, and then make a guess. But it's pretty complicated.

Any leads on getting Hi Bird parts for my QH250GY much appreciated.

Thanks

5. #5 Re: needing to replace drum brake shoes 
    It seems to me that you have rear drum brake, which is standard, for what I call, "generic Chinese enduro". At first glance, I'd say I have the same wheel hubs and brake shoes on my lil' tiller. Measure the inner diameter of the drum and let that be a starting point for your search.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...