Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 quite confused in choosing the right one... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello to everyone,

I'm less than 12hrs old in this forum and so glad to know it exist and very happy to see filipino riders sharing infos from our side of the globe. Anyways, I've been in the process of choosing a bike for my general riding need. I'm planning to use it probably to go to my work place, get around the city and probably do some weekend rides with some friends. I owned a Kawasaki KR150 since its release sometime 2003 and have a very wonderful riding experience with it till the typhoon "Undoy" hit the metro and unluckily me and my KR were one of the poor victims of the flood. I was able to revive and get her back to normal riding condition with the great help of the people from Kawasaki Phils. for replacement parts and "Dan" a mechanic friend from a local bike shop in Mandaluyong City. I sold the KR to my friend's son for some financial reason after and from there on I was deprived of my riding hobby. Now, i was again planning to get a bike with a limited budget so I was planning to get a China-made unit. I was hovering a lot on our local websites and forums hence I notice some names in this forum very familiar. Infos were vast but not direct to the point and sometimes one sided when a product is the issue.
    I would like to ask for help in making a final decision on what model and make to get and what Im looking into for the next 5 years or so with the unit I may decide on to get. Choices have been narrowed down to these parameters:

250cc CPI GRX250 vs MCX Renegade 250

200cc Motorstar MSX200-II vs CPI GRX200

150cc Motorstar R155 vs Racal, Rusi, ?????

I'm looking into the supermoto (motard) set-up for a different riding experience and looks, thanks and all your inputs and suggestion would be highly appreciated. More power to this forum and God bless everyone!!!

2. #2 Re: quite confused in choosing the right one... 
    hi there i would suggest the CPI GRX200 in my opinion it looks the best and it being based on a DR200 engine there are quite a few parts to pep up the motor, but i would ask around for people who would know more about these bikes.

Kennon

3. #3 Re: quite confused in choosing the right one... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
    hi there i would suggest the CPI GRX200 in my opinion it looks the best and it being based on a DR200 engine there are quite a few parts to pep up the motor, but i would ask around for people who would know more about these bikes.

Kennon
    Thanks for your suggestion Kennon, it definitely would be taken into consideration. I would like to add additional factors for comparisons, pls. correct me if I'm wrong with these infos. All inputs would be of great help. Another issue is: If I would go below 250cc, would it be costly to upgrade the wheel set of the MSX200-II to a motard set-up? will it be at par with the GRX200 in terms of performance? would it's air-cooled 200cc motor perform better than the R-155's water-cooled engine considering the 15"vs17" rear wheel configuration? sorry guys, this really getting into my nerves and can't afford to feel sorry after the purchase :) thanks to all!

250cc GRX250 /P106K SRP / motard set-up with 17" alum.alloy rims, handle bars, swing-arm, (motor by Qingqi i suppose?)
    MCX250 /P 89K SRP / motard set-up with quick-throttle, 17", no exact info on type/make of engine ( unconfirmed rumors is by Zongshen)

200cc GRX200 /P 88K SRP / motard set-up, air-cooled 4-stroke engine (no details due to non-availabity of display unit)
    MSX200 /P 67K SRP / dual-sport set-up with 17" steel rims, alum.alloy handle bars, steel swing-arm, air-cooled 4-stroke engine by Zongshen

150cc R-155 /P 65K SRP / Motard set-up with 17"F/15"R alum.alloy rims, handl bars, steel swing-arm, water-cooled 4-stroke 155cc engine by Zongshen

4. #4 Re: quite confused in choosing the right one... 
    depends on what sort of rims your looking at excel ones would be expensive but of very high quality so its up to you what change you would do to the MSX200-II. on my supermoto i have cast wheels which would be cheaper perhaps to get than spoked wheels if you wanted to do a change, i would check the bhp/kw ratings for each bike to see what offers the most power but these are probably taken in a colder climate so may differ in the phillipines normally i would say go for liquid cooling but liquid cooling does mean more parts to go wrong than a air-cooled bike.

also going to see the bikes in person will also give you a better opinion on quality and just the general feel of the bike with your weight on it, i understand what you mean it took me two years of looking to upgrade motorcycle and i'm really happy with my bike but time has come to change it next summer for me.

Kennon

5. #5 Re: quite confused in choosing the right one... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
    depends on what sort of rims your looking at excel ones would be expensive but of very high quality so its up to you what change you would do to the MSX200-II. on my supermoto i have cast wheels which would be cheaper perhaps to get than spoked wheels if you wanted to do a change, i would check the bhp/kw ratings for each bike to see what offers the most power but these are probably taken in a colder climate so may differ in the phillipines normally i would say go for liquid cooling but liquid cooling does mean more parts to go wrong than a air-cooled bike.

also going to see the bikes in person will also give you a better opinion on quality and just the general feel of the bike with your weight on it, i understand what you mean it took me two years of looking to upgrade motorcycle and i'm really happy with my bike but time has come to change it next summer for me.

Kennon
    Kennon, i was thinking 4.25x17(rear)/3.50x17(front) probably some mid-price Taiwan brand like "Performance" so as not to go over budget. It is really quite tough to test drive this units here in Manila unless you have some friend's who already owned one. The showrooms would seldom let us do a test ride for some reason. probably due to theft issues which is becoming common with our local cities. Anyway, GRX200 would be my best bet as for now though a bit high on initial cash out, it would be an off the shelf purchase and ready to use but having said so, the water-cooled R-155 looks promising but again the 200cc engine of the MSX is a factor to consider plus wheel mods. It's a pros and cons comparison really I'm playing around here not to mention parts availability which bring me back to the GRX200 as a good choice as you suggest. Thanks again Sir...