Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    Harbinsteve was looking for maps in NW China.My google maps in my smart phone in Xinjiang was sketchy.My Garmin with City Navigator China NT card had the offset and I tried to fix it but couldn't( I'm no tech head that's for sure)I used the Garmin out in the country and my smart phone in the cities.

China might have good coverage for mobiles but in the countryside in Xinjiang they still have some ways to go.

2. #12 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    I had GPS. GARMIN Maps. But now I just use GOOGLE MAPS on my phone and ask directions. It's a good excuse to chew some fat with the natives.

Quote Originally Posted by HarbinSteve View Post
    Sorry if this post is redundant, but after searching for awhile, I haven't found a clear answer.

What is the best gps system for using in China? I'm particularly interested in maps of the NW. After discovering that paper maps are all horribly inaccurate (at least in NE China) I decided I'm gonna invest in a GPS. I'm in America for the next 3 weeks, so I wanna try and buy a good one while I'm here. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or useful experience.

I read about people using cell phones, but I think in the end I wanna get a good water/dust/vibration proof unit that I can stick on the handlebars, and read in bright sunlight.

Thanks.

3. #13 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    ....ask directions. It's a good excuse to chew some fat with the natives....
    Mate, most of the people out there in the great China Outback don't know left from right and point you in the wrong direction due to "face" issues as they won't admit they don't know.....

SEASONS GREETINGS

4. #14 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Mate, most of the people out there in the great China Outback don't know left from right and point you in the wrong direction due to "face" issues as they won't admit they don't know.....
    SEASONS GREETINGS
    Bang on! Ask ten people for directions or <insert your question here> and you will get ten different answers, usually most will be contradictory. I've lost count the number of occasions where different individuals point in opposite and opposing directions... even road signage suffers the same fate in China at times... thanks but no thanks, I've used maps, asked for directions, followed road signs... thank gawd for GPS. At times GPS might not be 100% accurate and occasionally suffer some brain farts, but 99% of the time GPS has got me to where I want to go. Way more dependable than any other option especially in mainland China. Each to his/her own though... YMMV.

5. #15 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    After a bunch of reading, I ended up going the smartphone route. I got an iPhone. I needed a new phone anyway, and it seemed like there was so much overlap between the smartphone and the GPS unit that buying both would have been a waste.

Can anybody recommend good GPS software for an iPhone?

You do not need a data connection to use the GPS. You can download data when you are on WiFi at home and then access that data when you are travelling.
    What phone/software combo are you using? Also, I have just been using China Moble (中国移动)and doing the prepaid, but since I have a smartphone now I think I'll get a data package. What mobile service are you using?

6. #16 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Start by downloading Google Maps through iTunes. I have a couple of Chinese GPS apps, like AutoNavi, which is maybe $10, but have not really used them much. This will depend to a great degree on your level of Chinese.

Keep us posted.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    Last time I checked, the Google Maps Navigation was activated in China mainland, it works without mods now. My suggestion is use WIFI to cache regions of offline data.

中国移动 is by far has best EDGE(GSM) coverage, compare to its 3G (TD-SCDMA standard, not compatible to 联通CDMA). For gprs usage, ask their customer services, its price normally 5kuai for 30mb 10kuai for 70mb per month.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Start by downloading Google Maps through iTunes. I have a couple of Chinese GPS apps, like AutoNavi, which is maybe $10, but have not really used them much. This will depend to a great degree on your level of Chinese.
    hi jeff, have you managed switching AutoNavi's user interface language, I tested and switched to English for its android version, it could be done.
    同志仍需努力

8. #18 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I am always using nokia phone, the maps are accurate and never had any problems with the GPS here in Zhejiang. Might be a different case in rural areas...dunno.

How do you solve a problem with using GPS and not being able to go on highways (motorcycle ban)? Im sure those devices always show you the most convenient way and this must be on highway.

9. #19 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    How do you solve a problem with using GPS and not being able to go on highways (motorcycle ban)? Im sure those devices always show you the most convenient way and this must be on highway.
    Adjust your settings to "avoid tolls", and your GPS will steer you away from highways.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Best gps for in China use 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    i never dig into options. thanks, i found it there hidden away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast