Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Exhaust can for Qingqi QM200GY (aka Qlink, etc) 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Here's some photos of the "Universal Stainless can" marketed by Xian Racing (UK) fitted to my Qingqi QM200GY-BA.

Apart from the cool looks and errr...robust sound...the main difference is the performance. You will not believe the difference in throttle response, acceleration and general driveability.

This stems from the elimination of the restrictive catalyser insert inside the factory system and associated Secondary air injection gubbins. Up till now I was most dissatisfied with the sluggish throttle response which I put down to the CV-type carb and even considered changing it for a slide-type carb.

No need. The engine now responds instantly to the twistgrip and the rev-counter can't keep up...

These oxidation catalyser systems have been adopted by makers using old-fashioned engines and carbs as a quick, easy and inexpensive measure to comply with European emission regulations, never mind what they do to performance and driveability.

This is a similar situation that the cars of the late 80's had when the primitive catalyser systems knocked off as much as 8 bhp on small European car engines. God knows how much power large American V8's lost. Nowadays well-researched and developed 3-way catalysts, Lambda probes and electronic fuel injection do not have such problems.

You will get all sort of spurious claims for power increases with after-market items such as this exhaust, but in the case of this 200 cc range of bikes I figure the power gained is in the region of 2.6 bhp, that's nearly 15%.

The only other mods have been the increase of main jet from 122.5 to 125 and the slow jet from 32.5 to 35. Suzuki Part numbers for these jets are 09491-25010 and 09492-35008 respectively. If you buy them from a Mikuni dealer, the carb type is a BST28.

The fitting is incredibly simple with virtually no mods required and its stainless steel construction means it will outlast me...

I have been researching about this bike, as I do with all my vehicles, and have found that the South American versions do not have the emissions gear. Everything else remains the same. The quoted power output is 18 bhp. The units destined for the EU only make 15.4 bhp. This is all due to the restrictions imposed by the emission laws.

This is the link for the can. I don't know wether they'll ship abroad, but you could ask (they now will ship abroad, see message number 8). The price is £64.99 which is considerably less than other makes I can think of:

http://xian.west-wire.co.uk/index.ph...d&productId=13

I hope nobody minds if I repeat here the list of alternative names these bikes are sold with. This is to enable Google searches to find this forum and this information. Here goes:

In USA it's the QLINK XF200
    In Brasil STX 200 Motard Sundown

In the UK it appears as:

Pulse Adrenaline 125 (XF125GY-2B)
    Sinnis Apache QM200GY
    and Superbyke RMR200

In Chile/Colombia QMT200 or GXT Euromot
    In the Philippines it's a Sinski Motard 200R
    In Paraguay Genesis GXT200 B
    In Honduras a KMF
    In Spain it's marketed by Qingqi importer direct or I-moto as a Tiger sm 125
    In Turkey it's a Ramzey QM200GY
    In Checkoslovakia it's a YUKI 250 SM
    In Russia it's called QINGQI DRAGON 200 SUPERMOTO
    In France Hooper 125 SMR
    In Germany it's imported by Kreidler as a Supermoto 125 DD
    In Australia Arqin motorcycles RT200SM
    In Sweden and Norway they call it a TMS Supermotard 200cc
    In the Ukraine its a SkyMoto Dragon-200
    In South Africa its a Viper 200
    Last edited by forchetto; 02-08-2009 at 03:21 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Forchetto, the new can looks really good, not to mention the performance improvement. I would love to get one. Unfortunately for me, The Xian Racer team don't ship outside of UK (Europe), at least not yet. Which is a real shame.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

Forchetto,

That's a sweet lookin' can. Did you try riding with the stock jetting before you went from 122.5 to 125 and 32.5 to 34 ? Just curios how well the bike runs with a new can and stock jets.

Nice work!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Exhaust Qingqi QM200GY Jetting changes 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    The bike ran perfectly with the stock 122.5 main jet but being a bit anal I increased it a little bit just in case. It seems the thing to do when modifying inlet or exhaust elements.
    I read somewhere about a rule of thumb requiring a 10% jet increase when removing airboxes and fitting pod-type filters and a further 5% for a freer-breathing can.

The idle jet had already being changed to cure a weak mixture condition that meant the driveability and tickover suffered due to the usual weak factory settings to comply with emissions.
    The idle screw came 2.5 turns out already from the factory and had no more adjusting range. With the 35 jet the screw is around 1.5 turns and has its full range of adjustment.
    Last edited by forchetto; 12-09-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmarty45 View Post
    The Xian Racer team don't ship outside of UK (Europe), at least not yet. Which is a real shame.
    I got to know the owner, Gareth, through another UK based forum and begged him to send me the can to Spain. Luckily I was able to arrange secure transport through a carrier that my company already uses to bring goods from the UK.

That's their real problem, they've had problems with parcels getting lost in the post and, as a small company they say they can't afford such loses. I suppose if they used "quality" carriers such as UPS, etc the cost of their products would increase dramatically.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Within China itself, these cans area available for only 20-30USD and come in a wide assortment of colors and materials. Some are also produced in Taiwan. Maybe worth contacting an exporter and seeing what minimum shipping quantity is?

CC
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

I emailed Gareth at Xian and he said he that they do not ship internationally. However, he also said that "when people take the time to enquire we try and help where we can". Which is fantastic news for me. I will likely order a new can in the new year.

I was thinking while I was at it I could order a few other things from the website. The HT lead caught my eye, so did the CDI. I haven't checked either of the stock on my bike so I am not sure if they even fit. I just want more toys.
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

C-Moto Noob
    Hi Forchetto,
    I emailed Gareth and the good news is now he is shipping worldwide . Just a question Forchetto, do you have a sound sample? Is it really lounder than with the original one? And finally, does it come complete? I mean do you need to buy something else to install it?

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi34 View Post
    Hi Forchetto,
    I emailed Gareth and the good news is now he is shipping worldwide . Just a question Forchetto, do you have a sound sample? Is it really lounder than with the original one? And finally, does it come complete? I mean do you need to buy something else to install it?
    I don't have a sound sample yet, but it's a lot louder than the factory item. At town speeds and small throttle openings, or in a high gear, it's not too bad and far from offensive. Single cylinder four-strokes rarely are. The sound increases considerably when you open the throttle, but overall, it sounds like a big thumper or KTM...I suppose in time the sound-deadening mineral fibre filling that surrounds the absortion perforated pipe will disappear and the sound will become harsher. The sound-deadening filling will have to be replaced. The end plates are pop-riveted on, so it won't be too difficult.

The inlet pipe on the can has a 33 mm bore and the bikes pipe 32 mm outside diameter. In theory it should fit straight away, but in practice, and due to tolerances, tubes slightly out of round, etc it pays to remove burrs from both edges and smooth the inside of the can and outside of the downpipe with a bit of emery cloth. You can simply ram it on, twisting and pushing, but it might seize on and be very difficult to remove in the future. Just remove enough metal to ensure a tight, snug and gas-tight fit.

The inlet stub on the can is designed to be held on to the downpipe by one of those cool springs like the racers, it has no slots cut into it to enable the use of a clamp. It comes with a welded-on loop for the spring but no spring is supplied.

Here's an image of this type of spring fitting:

The fit is so good and tight that you could even fit it without any means of clamping and still have a well-fitting and gas-tight joint, but I decided to have a conventional clamp.
    The Qingqi has no place to anchor a suitable spring, so I ground off the spring loop, cut two slots using an angle grinder fitted with a thin cutting-off blade (20 seconds), de-burred it, and fitted a stainless steel exhaust clamp, size 34 to 37 mm. Google "Mikalor supra w2 hose clamps" to see it.

The can comes with a rubber-lined fixing strap that wraps around the can and serves to fix it in any suitable position. The factory item is fitted using two bolts. The first one, nearest the engine is fitted with a sort of rubber anti-vibration mounting, very complex and not very effective due to lack of compliance of the rubber parts. Strangely enough the second mounting point is fixed solidly to the frame, so the effectivenesss of the first mount is negated IMHO.
    I have opted for introducing a bobbin-type of rubber mounting, between the strap and the first mounting point. This mounting has two M8 male threads that fit the already threaded mounting on the bike. These bobbins are popular in the car world where they're used for exhaust mounts.
    Curiously enough the vibration levels felt by the rider have dropped considerably. I know it sounds silly but I have had the same results on several vehicles, like my PGO Buggy (fitted with a scooter engine). Makers tend not to think of the vibrations that can be transmitted to the rider via the exhaust system. Car makers take this much more seriously, witness the way car exhausts just hang there by all sorts of flexible mountings. Grab a car's tailpipe and wiggle it about to test this.
    I know that cars have flexibly mounted engines and so the exhaust has to be fully floating to stop breakages but, on bikes, the engine vibrates and the exhaust transmits this vibration to the chassis. Even though the chassis should, in theory, vibrate at the same rate as the engine that's solidly attached to it, in practice the vibration rates and frequency varies due to the different masses and as I've said, I have had surprising results with this method. The Qingqi was no exception.

With the extra width of the new mounting the can just touches the plastic side panel. A little notch has to be cut to avoid this. It's invisible once fitted on the bike.

If yours is fitted with a secondary air injection (SAI) device, it can be done away with. It's no longer any use as it was fitted to compliment the oxidation catalyser inside the original silencer. I have removed the reed valve housing fitted to the downpipe and blanked-off the fixing flange using an alloy plate and the original gasket.

IMPORTANT: the SAI device shown on the photo after the following diagram is only fitted to the 200 cc models. In other parts of the world, where 125 learner laws exist, Qingqi and other re-branded models have a completely different system of air injection for the 125cc engines. It's basically the same effect, but they also have a connection to the inlet manifold, a vacuum connection to regulate the air that is pulsed into the exhaust according to engine vacuum. You can leave both types of system on with no ill effects. I have removed mine because it's easy to do and stops the banging in the exhaust on the over-run that is characteristic of these systems.

Here's an image of the catalyser insert. No, I didn't cut open my exhaust, but someone else on another forum did. It shows how it restricts the exhaust flow by plugging the silencers inlet pipe.

The carb had the slow running jet increased to 35 from 32.5 to enable better driveability. This is usually ruined by over-lean mixtures to comply with emission laws. The main jet was increased from 122.5 to 125, both items coming from the Suzuki DR200 parts book.
    Suzuki Part numbers for these jets are 09491-25010 for the 125 main jet and 09492-35008 for the slow-running jet. If you buy them from a Mikuni dealer, the carb type is a BS28. To improve the mid-range the jet needle was placed on the fourth groove from the top. Standard came in the middle or third groove from top.
    Last edited by forchetto; 04-06-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Noob
    Cheers Forchetto,
    Contacted Gareth who confirmed me that now he is sending worldwide which is an excelent news. Just a question, why did you use such a huge silentbloc when those are available much smaller?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast