Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 250 motorcycle plug wire at the coil replacement 
    C-Moto Regular
    My mototrcycle is having trouble with the coil and has lost spark, I've ordered a new one but was wondering if the plug wire will come out of the small coil with two wires and the plug wire is in the back, it has a boot on it and isn't sealed tight from moisture so I was assuming it does, but haven't tried it. I think that is where the spark is failing. I'd guess rust, the boot is all ozone damaged.

Thanks,

2. #2 Re: 250 motorcycle plug wire at the coil replacement 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Sounds possible that the connection is failing or, also possible, that the voltage is grounding out through/around the damaged cap (happened to me on an old car). It doesn't have to be visible damage for a wire to fail, entirely or partially, but visible damage points in the direction of a faulty plug wire.

When you say "lost spark", do you mean that there is no voltage coming out of the plug's end of the wire?

3. #3 Re: 250 motorcycle plug wire at the coil replacement 
    C-Moto Regular
    Yes lost spark, the engine turns off like flipping a switch. Happen last night about a mile from home. Thought it was fixed. I redid both ends of the plug wire. The cap's screw at the spark plugs end twists when you apply to much force. But I think your right I need to replace the plug wire too $2 for 2 feet at the motorcycle shop. I ordered a performance coil, orange coil and wire from Ebay, suppose to be much better, it said. But after I ordered it I read somewhere else that other parts need undating when you upgrade the coil. But read here someone upgraded the coil and liked it.

4. #4 Re: 250 motorcycle plug wire at the coil replacement 
    C-Moto Regular
    I also tested the plugs end of the wire and no there was no spark.

5. #5 Re: 250 motorcycle plug wire at the coil replacement 
    C-Moto Regular
    I first replaced the plug wire while I wait on one comming from Ohio via Ebay, and it ran and ran pretty good for the NAPA part that was probably for a high performance lawn mower. The plug wire did the trick. So my coil made it yesterday and I installed it today, it worked and worked perfect. It's a high performance coil and aint sure if my cdi is going to need upgraded since I put this on, but it's suppose to do better in the rain and cold. But I'll have a spare coil just incase I want to revert it back to the old coil. I think it was the coil spark plug wire the whole time.

Thanks for all the help.