Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Basically KTM-BAJAJ could develop a line of bikes with the same engines as the DUKE line and offer those in the retro stylized bikes as Husqvarna. So that is a 125cc, 200cc, 390cc and 690cc, but the 690 today in the USA seems to not be selling well with a near 10k price tag, its not made in India.

The 125cc has to be under 4k
    200cc under 5k
    390cc under 7k
    690cc under 9k

They may be able to attain that with adding in higher volume sales on the lowered prices?
    I understand that KTM enjoys being an industry leader and sets prices high because people really do like what they offer but the 10k 690 is simply not selling, if it is placed at lower price point and set next to lesser more affordable offering it then conjures more interest and becomes an eventual upgrade to those entering the market with the lesser cc bikes, they become an item on a wish list. They pay off the lesser bike and then sell it and use the resale equity towards the next model.

This same method could be used on the Husqvarna and that brand could add in its own engines and in ultra light dual sports and motards that have less aggressive styles then the DUKEs, more traditional looking more or less retro modern, like the Moab and Baja.

I would not assume that the 125cc Duke would not sell in the USA, if priced under $4,000.00 it would get some interests from first time buyers/learners and commuters that want to make a statement. The 15hp 125cc would move through the city street and traffic just fine.

2. #22 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Interesting article from the summer of 2012, it seems BMW has been reviewing the motorcycle manufacturing in India.

Some bits I gleaned from the article:

TVS builds their engines in a clean room, that is pressurized to keep out dust.

VW evidently according to this article own the rights to DKW, but they do not have a low cost production partner with small displacement engines already in production, they have Ducati engineers, but something tells me that they may be to pious to embrace developing affordable products? WHY because the developing markets are expanding and KTM is proving its profitable. But they have to protect brand equity and having the rights to old brands offer and opportunity for resurrection.

But here is the thing entry level and recognized brand names work well for everyone if done diligently.

Hero is number one, Bajaj second and TVS third, in unit sales.

Bajaj is already affiliated with KTM, they actually own 47% of KTM.
    Hero is independent and TVS is being courted by BMW.

Triumph is developing a single, they are setting up an assembly plant in India.

If BMW sold Husqvarna then will they still have potential with TVS?

BMW did not sell to KTM they sold to the CEO of KTM?
    That seems so odd to me, KTM is publicly traded. Its CEO now owns his own motorcycle company? Also in the article it states that TVS has switched its racing engines to Husqvarna from KTM.

I think Pierer cannot stay CEO of KTM, how can he it seems like huge conflict of interest?

3. #23 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    I think it be a real mixed up world that allows a CEO to own a competitive brand, I think Pierer will head Husquvarna and also own it, but in that have ties to BMW and likely is going to be working with TVS? The reason for Kawaski at the table is Loncin and the 650 production center?

4. #24 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Coming in 2013 officially to China: http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en/
    Doubt it now http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...rouble-varese/

Gee could have BMW stuffed it any worse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123