Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Husqvarna / China 
    Banned
    Coming in 2013 officially to China: http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en/

2. #2 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Isn't Husky owned by BMW these days? What's your source? is there some mention in the Husky site? Is this part of a broader BMW-Motorrad strategy? As you know, they kind of bellied up with their previous strategy of handing the business to Chinese importers.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Here's a recent Husqvarna press release that shows they do have something strategic afoot in "Asia" -- whatever that means.

cheers

Changes in Husqvarna's Group Management21 December, 2012 08:30
    Effective January 1, 2013, Husqvarna Group has decided to divide the business unit ‘Sales and Service Europe & Asia/Pacific’ into two new business units – ‘Sales and Service Europe’, and ‘Sales and Service Asia/Pacific’. Frida Norrbom Sams has been appointed Executive Vice President, Head of Sales and Service Europe and will become new member of Group Management.

The change will enable further concentrated efforts in the European region while at the same time putting a stronger focus on the growing markets in the Asia/Pacific region.

The change will not imply any changes in the external financial reporting, i.e. results will still be reported for the current business area Europe & Asia/Pacific.

Frida Norrbom Sams joined Husqvarna in 2011 and has broad experience from sales and business leadership on a global and a European level as well as in the Nordic region. Most recently, she has held the position as Vice President for the Nordic and Baltic regions within Sales and Service Europe & Asia/Pacific.

“Frida has deep knowledge of the different markets where we operate, which make her ideal for driving sales in the European region,” says Hans Linnarson, President and CEO of Husqvarna Group.

Hans Linnarson, President and CEO of Husqvarna Group, will be Acting Head of Sales and Service Asia/Pacific.
    jkp
    Shanghai

4. #4 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Never mind my previous post. That seems to be the rump portion of Husqvarna that was not purchased by BMW, and makes chain saws and sewing machines. Maybe not even sewing machines any more.

Sigh.
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Isn't Husky owned by BMW these days?

Yes

source?

Let's just say a very reliable one for the time being....

is this part of a broader BMW-Motorrad strategy?
    Yes

As you know, they kind of bellied up with their previous strategy of handing the business to Chinese importers.
    just wait and see 2013 developments, trust me.

6. #6 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    BMW sales are up 10.4% over previous years as of November, Husqvarna delivered more unit to dealers YTD actually nearly 20% more then they did in 2011.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__6628

Literality sales and delivery to dealers are not the same, HD was sued in 2008 by its dealers for accounting for delivery to dealers as sales. That change in accounting raised stock values and destroyed the value of dealers inventory which was not selling. They settled and under a gag order, I suspect they gave back profits to dealers, that had to cut prices to clear inventory.

Husqvarna is holding excess inventory over last year, rumor is they are off by as much as 12% in sales.
    They will likely send that inventory to Asia and to existing BMW dealers in China?
    Last edited by MJH; 01-02-2013 at 05:15 AM.

7. #7 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    BMW sales are up 10.4% over previous years as of November, Husqvarna delivered more unit to dealers YTD actually nearly 20% more then they did in 2011.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__6628

Literality sales and delivery to dealers are not the same, HD was sued in 2008 by its dealers for accounting for delivery to dealers as sales. That change in accounting raised stock values and destroyed the value of dealers inventory which was not selling. They settled and under a gage order, I suspect they gave back profits to dealers, that had to cut prices to clear inventory.

Husqvarna is holding excess inventory over last year, rumor is they are off by as much as 12% in sales.
    They will likely send that inventory to Asia and to existing BMW dealers in China?
    How many Chinese are going to purchase a TE,TXC or TC.Come on.

They will most likely send there excess 2012 stock to Australia again.Great. Cheap TXC's again.

8. #8 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    I think they may send the new street bikes, I think that they are trying to extend the brand into street bikes.
    I think the sales of the Street bikes Nuda, Strada and Terra are slow.

I believe they target a primary market and then have secondary markets they ship to in case the demand does not meet production in the primary target markets, they do that because if the demand is good in the primary market they will not run out, if it is not then excess flows into the secondary market.

China is good to sell into, limited supply brings higher prices. I read that excess inventory of luxury cars BMW, Mercedes etc are being shipped to China, sales are languishing in Europe.

9. #9 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    MJH Do you think BMW/Husqvarna are going to go to the trouble,expense and process of getting a limited number of Husqvarna street bikes homologated for the Chinese market.

The rich Chinese want name brands.The average rich spoilt son of a cadre would never have heard of Husqvarna and if by some remote chance he had it would be a dirt bike that he associated the Husqvarna brand with.

The average rich spoilt son of a cadre don't ride dirt bikes.A BMW would be to per see for them.

10. #10 Re: Husqvarna / China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo
    MJH Do you think BMW/Husqvarna are going to go to the trouble,expense and process of getting a limited number of Husqvarna street bikes homologated for the Chinese market.

The rich Chinese want name brands.The average rich spoilt son of a cadre would never have heard of Husqvarna and if by some remote chance he had it would be a dirt bike that he associated the Husqvarna brand with.

The average rich spoilt son of a cadre don't ride dirt bikes.A BMW would be to per see for them
    I agree.

I'm not saying I'm a genius of marketing in China, however I would suspect that if you got the most expensive overweight BMW touring motorcycle like a K-1600 added every extra you could and then anodized it red and gold and called it a 'special edition' and charged double for it you might make a heap load more money than trying to sell Husqvarna road bikes.

Alas in China the most expensive is nearly always considered 'the best'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast