Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Happy New Year, fellow riders!

January 1, 2013 brings some new and/or amended traffic laws. According to the Global Times, this is a summary:

1 point:

• Failing to carry a driving license or vehicle registration
    • Failing to display a roadworthiness certificate on vehicle
    • Failing to display an insurance certificate on vehicle
    • Driving without the correct lights

2 points:

• Using a mobile phone while driving
    • Driving an vehicle overloaded by up to 20% over capacity
    • Overtaking and cutting into a line of traffic
    • Using the wrong lane at a controlled intersection
    • Driving without seatbelts on an expressway

3 points:

• Driving recklessly when approaching a pedestrian crosswalk
    • Overtaking on highway ramps
    • Ignoring road markings
    • Failing to give way to pedestrians or vehicles when making a turn
    • Failing to give way to an oncoming vehicle making a left turn, when your vehicle is turning right
    • Driving up to 50% over the speed limit
    • Failing to give way to emergency vehicles
    • Overtaking when it is prohibited or driving on the wrong side of an expressway
    • Driving in the wrong lane of urban expressways

6 points:

• Driving with a suspended license
    • Using the emergency lane on expressways when traffic is congested
    • Running a red light
    • Failure to give way to a School Bus

12 points:

• Driving in reverse on highway, driving on wrong side of highway, or making a U-turn on a highway
    • Driving at more than 50% over the speed limit
    • Driving while under the influence of alcohol, or driving while intoxicated
    • Leaving the scene of an accident
    • Failure to properly display license number plates, obstructing number plates, defacing number plates

==========

I haven't been able to do a line by line comparison old/new, but I think the above are the key modifications to the existing Traffic Code. For example, I think it is already the case that you get 12 points for using fake or copied plates, whereas it used to be 6 points for not properly displaying legal plates, obstructing plates (e.g,. on motorcycles, placing a heavy chain/lock over rear plate), or "defacing" plates (I think that means changing a number with black tape). That 6 points has been doubled.

I think there are also changes to the attached fines, but I have not been able to find any info on that.

As we all know, the key to the new laws will be year-round enforcement.

Again, Happy New Year to all. Wishing you a safe & prosperous 2013.

2. #2 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Two big bones of contention here: 6 points: Running a red light. Hmm lights setup every 100-200 meters on city streets even on T-sections with very very long cycles with filters taking forever. Yield through two in a three year period instead of slavishly waiting and it's goodbye license?
    12 points: Driving while under the influence of alcohol, or driving while intoxicated. In China the alcohol limit is zero because allowing a minimum amount is just 'too difficult' so you have a glass of beer and goodbye license, hello detention center and massive fine?

3. #3 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    C-Moto Regular
    I am told, that en general "all points vill be double" from beginning of 2013 - but fine will be the same.
    All old points standing from 2012 will also be doubled - one of my friends went to clear up his 12 points before New Year....500 people in que in front of him....
    I am happy with the new rules, but will the police do anything........???
    Happy new year to everybody!!
    Torben Vester - "Morfar"
    KTM 530 EXC-R -08
    KTM 625 SXC - 04
    Honda Transalp XL600V
    Suzuki RMX 250

4. #4 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Driving recklessly when approaching a pedestrian crosswalk
    Overtaking on highway ramps
    Ignoring road markings
    Failing to give way to pedestrians or vehicles when making a turn
    Failing to give way to an oncoming vehicle making a left turn, when your vehicle is turning right
    Driving up to 50% over the speed limit
    Failing to give way to emergency vehicles
    Overtaking when it is prohibited or driving on the wrong side of an expressway
    Driving in the wrong lane of urban expressways
    It's these 3-pointers, especially the one's I've highlighted, that go to the heart of China's chaotic driving culture, but the key will be enforcement.

The two items in red have the potential to really put motorists, finally, in their place, forcing them to defer to pedestrians and cyclists who are crossing legally in zebra stripe crosswalks. Current practice for cars is to blow your horn to clear out the pesky pedestrians, and barrel through your right turn against the red. This must kill or maim thousands of people every year.

I'm more worried about the item highlighted in yellow, which could have the effect of further indulging motorists who are turning left against oncoming traffic. As we all know, current practice if you are making a left at a simple traffic signal (without designated turn arrows) is to jump out and make your left before oncoming traffic has a chance to enter the intersection, thus creating the classic China conga line in which every left-turning vehicle behind you attempts to use your car as a screen, even if it means the conga line shifts ever further to the left in the oncoming traffic lane. Yes, oncoming traffic turning right should defer to cars making a left, to ensure the left turn cars clear the intersection as efficiently as possible. But if this rule emboldens the left turners beyond their currently amazingly bold levels of boldness, it will make gridlock even worse than it is now.

One final thought: By turning the emphasis to points rather than fines, the traffic police seem to be addressing the fact that many of the most flagrant offenders do so because the fines, to them, are effectively meaningless. When the Supercar Club kids drive through Beijing in their pink Lambos with their plates concealed, they are hardly stressing about the 200 rmb fine, which to a Lambo owner means about as much as a sheet of toilet paper. In general, I am strongly in support of these stricter point penalties and hope they are enforced, though I guess many of the flagrant violators come from major or minor princeling stock and have other means to keep their licenses, points be damned...

Happy New Years!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    I'll admit there are some good ideas, but generally the feeling I get is 'lets use the law to be able legislate as many people as we can off the road if we want to', unless they have connections and are rich in which case they'll be OK, also the police are gonna make a killing back-door 'rounding down' or not applying points from scared rich guys worried about losing their license. So really whose this going to effect? Lower end less wealthy people who drive mian-bao che's and similar. ie migrants or poorer locals trying to climb the greasy pole.

You can see the desire to legislate other people of the road in a kind of over population induced schadenfreude because China is one of the only countries in the world where color-blindness can prevent you (technically) getting a license and have some of the youngest license expiry ages for cars and especially motorcycles.

The message is clear more than ever: Leave your car or motorcycle at home for short trips around town or risk your license.

6. #6 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Failing to give way to an oncoming vehicle making a left turn, when your vehicle is turning right
    What is this supposed to mean?

And indeed all the best wishes to all.

E.
    Last edited by 998S; 12-31-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo

7. #7 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    What is this supposed to me?
    I am not 100% sure, but I think this is the situation where the right-turning vehicle has to yield to an oncoming left-turning vehicle that is already in the intersection (essentially, not cutting off the oncoming car). But I am guessing.

I wish there was a law about how to use a roundabout - the drivers that exit from the innermost lane make me crazy, and should get at least 6 red stars. I wonder if the driving schools teach that as the correct method?

I remember watching a CCTV video somewhere about a driver in one of those minivans, facing the wrong way on an expressway, but he was going in reverse (same direction as traffic), in the fast lane. He found a break in the separation fence, and backed into it, stopped, and started going forward, only to be rear-ended by some car in the fast lane. The minivan driver got out and was obviously totally drunk (uninjured). If he did this post 01/01/13, he'd probably win a prize with all the points. Oh well, just another day in China.

8. #8 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Banned
    Bad drivers facing tougher penalties

Source: Xinhua | 2013-1-2 | NEWSPAPER EDITION SHANGHAI DAILY

CHINESE drivers are facing harsher penalties after a revised regulation came into effect yesterday, with many motorists being caught out.

Under the revision, ignoring traffic lights will result in six penalty points, double the previous punishment. The penalty for improper display of license plates is now 12 points.

According to the new rules, 52 different kinds of violations can result in penalties, up from 38 under the previous regulation. Online, the new rules were dubbed "the strictest traffic regulations ever."

Each violation is associated with penalty points, based on how severe the offence is. If a driver receives 12 points in a year, they are required to attend a seven-day training session and have to take a written exam before they can get back on the road.

"On the first day of the revised road rules, I fastened my seat belt, didn't smoke or make phone calls. I gave way to a school bus with no students on it," said one microblogger.

As the new rules came into effect, various violations by China's drivers were exposed online.

A car owner surnamed Wang in eastern Anhui Province, who did not have a vehicle license plate, was fined 12 points, said local traffic police on their microblog.

"I came across a traffic jam in the city and found half of the drivers hadn't fasten their seat belts," said another blogger.

"I just ran a yellow light twice this morning and then was reminded it's the first day of new traffic rules enforcement," said another driver in an online post.

A photograph of a wedding car whose license plate was covered over was posted online. "12-point deduction," said the Internet user who posted the photo. "A wedding is no exception."

In 2011, 62,000 people died in road accidents, according to statistics from the Ministry of Public Security.

In a poll on Sina.com, 67 percent of more than 1,000 participants supported the revised traffic rules.

Some have suggested pedestrians should also be made to conform to the road rules, as they often crossed roads while ignoring red lights.

"We used to have some bad habits but now we should be more careful given the tough penalties of the new rules," said Tang Limin, a taxi driver in Shanghai.

"We hope that both drivers and pedestrians can fall into the habit of strictly abiding by the rules to create a good traffic environment," Tang added.

9. #9 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    How about mandatory prison sentences for:
    Child in car without car seat.
    Child sticking head out of sunroof.
    Child operating bicycle or riding on moto/scooter without helmet.

Most of this just sounds like lip service, the rich can easily transfer the points to other peoples licenses as the majority of traffic offences are enforced with cameras and not actual police.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #10 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    how about 12 points for:
    -Reversing semi trailer into major highway
    -massively overloading a truck and spilling all sorts of crap onto the road and damaging the road surface
    -Driving the wrong way down any road or freeway
    -Running red lights without looking

how about 1 point for:
    -yielding at a red light and going if there is bloody obviously nothing coming
    -honking unnecessarily
    -parking a car in a cycle lane or on a footpath
    -parking with over a meter of car sticking into the road

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast