Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    The mentality here is "PASS THE TEST" and then do what you like. The problem is very few people "learn" how to drive. Their objective is to pass the test. ....
    Second that, however I am not entirely of the belief that its all their fault, I mean after all for what is most likely the vast majority of new car drivers its not only their first car...its the first car in the family. I grew up in America, was driving an F150 truck on my Uncles farm at 13 and had a temp permit at 15 to drive. My parents brought me home at birth from the hospital in a car and like most westerners grew up in a car culture. Not so here in China. They take the same mentality in driving as they do walking, which is as best as I can tell...."I was here first so go around me."

Its not that I think most don't know how to drive, or stand in an orderly like its just what everyone else does so that's how it works. The government placed several dozen new cameras in my small town (in a highly visible manner) and within a week there was a NOTICEABLE difference in driving skills on display, a halving of red light runners and even moto-taxis started wearing helmets (albeit with the chin strap undone)

Much like anywhere else in the world, people here know better but the police appear uninterested in enforcement of traffic laws...maybe that would change drastically if the police got 10% for every citation, not that I advocate the idea. I clearly remember taking my Chinese wife to Hong Kong for the first time and maybe within an hour hearing here say to me....they drive really good here! Out of nowhere such a keen observation, and she does not even drive yet.

And to reply about the test...that IS the Chinese way for students...its ALL about passing tests. Sadly little independent thought is involved and its about memorization, not critical thought or problem solving. Many students at my friends English school say they hate this method, memorize, test, memorize some more....test....etc.

I am pleased to see the government begin to address the matters, the number one cause of death in China is automobile accidents, then cancer. Given the number of actual cars on the road, that is amazing to me and gives me pause for my yearning to get a bike...ok, pause over still getting a ride.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

2. #52 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lain View Post
    Graham,
    How big is the new 2013 test book they gave your wife? Is it something that can be easily translated? I would love a copy if you have a digital (PDF/Word) version that I can have translated. If I can get my friend to translate it I most certainly will upload a copy here for all to share. In all honesty I am tossing out any thoughts of the previous test material after my friend said the new test had NONE of the old questions. He is Chinese, but speaks perfect English AND French! At the moment I am just getting ready for everything, doing the research, obtaining prices on several models of bikes and trying to disseminate fact from fiction about Chinese bikes which I will most likely end up with...the wife's not to pleased about the idea of me spending 40~55,000 rmb on a bike. She is hinting (loudly) at about half that amount....

Your comment about the SS Street, ya I know. I had to sell my 72 Mustang , 514 stroked motor drag car when I found that it was impossible to import it here...took it to the strip and wasted a set of tires and 4 nitrous bottles before I gave it to the new owner, sad day...but did manage to rip a 9.32 @ 149 its 3rd best run ever.

Some things I will forever miss here while I live in China, a good steak, carpeted floors and highly modified street legal cars.
    Hi Lain,

The new book is 23cm x 18,5cm
    There are 73 pages
    Too much to scan and translate.

Really, I would just learn the pre January 2013 questions, learn them off by heart, and have a go.

I would like my Corvette here or my WS6 Trans Am here, but sold them prior.

This is the front cover of the book.
    Should be easy to buy, I guess it doesn't cost more than 50 quai.

Chinese Driving Book 2013.jpg
    Random Page.jpg

Gra.

3. #53 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lain View Post
    Second that, however I am not entirely of the belief that its all their fault, I mean after all for what is most likely the vast majority of new car drivers its not only their first car...its the first car in the family. I grew up in America, was driving an F150 truck on my Uncles farm at 13 and had a temp permit at 15 to drive. My parents brought me home at birth from the hospital in a car and like most westerners grew up in a car culture. Not so here in China. They take the same mentality in driving as they do walking, which is as best as I can tell...."I was here first so go around me."

Its not that I think most don't know how to drive, or stand in an orderly like its just what everyone else does so that's how it works. The government placed several dozen new cameras in my small town (in a highly visible manner) and within a week there was a NOTICEABLE difference in driving skills on display, a halving of red light runners and even moto-taxis started wearing helmets (albeit with the chin strap undone)

Much like anywhere else in the world, people here know better but the police appear uninterested in enforcement of traffic laws...maybe that would change drastically if the police got 10% for every citation, not that I advocate the idea. I clearly remember taking my Chinese wife to Hong Kong for the first time and maybe within an hour hearing here say to me....they drive really good here! Out of nowhere such a keen observation, and she does not even drive yet.

And to reply about the test...that IS the Chinese way for students...its ALL about passing tests. Sadly little independent thought is involved and its about memorization, not critical thought or problem solving. Many students at my friends English school say they hate this method, memorize, test, memorize some more....test....etc.

I am pleased to see the government begin to address the matters, the number one cause of death in China is automobile accidents, then cancer. Given the number of actual cars on the road, that is amazing to me and gives me pause for my yearning to get a bike...ok, pause over still getting a ride.
    Thank you for this "Understand China in 2 minutes".
    Perhaps you should publish it.

4. #54 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Thank you for this "Understand China in 2 minutes".
    Perhaps you should publish it.
    Thanks for the warm, fuzzy feeling of sarcasm. Do ya feel better now?

5. #55 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi Lain,

The new book is 23cm x 18,5cm
    There are 73 pages
    Too much to scan and translate.

Really, I would just learn the pre January 2013 questions, learn them off by heart, and have a go.
    I would like my Corvette here or my WS6 Trans Am here, but sold them prior.

This is the front cover of the book.
    Should be easy to buy, I guess it doesn't cost more than 50 quai.
    Gra.
    Thanks Graham, your reply is greatly appreciated.

Hmm, well 73 pages is a bit much to scan but still a translation might be possible with a little time. I am sure there are many pages that can be scanned using OCR to speed things up a bit, even if not perfect in Chinese. After the Chinese New Year my wife will be enrolled in the driving school down the street, so I am sure to get a copy of it. After she passes her exam I will remove the pages and scan it into my system. I have a sheet fed scanner with OCR, so it will go quickly. I will do what I can to get a translation...but time will tell if I still feel inspired to share it here?

Sorry to also hear about the cars, I am hopeful now as I saw a new Dodge Hemi Challenger a few weeks ago in Zhonghshan, not sure if imported or now available, maybe Mustangs soon?

It just hit me as I look at the book cover, but I do find it rather appropriate that the car is driving left of center!!

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Lain; 02-03-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add photo
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

6. #56 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    C-Moto Noob
    Sorry but have to revive this thread. Does anyone know what has to be done when you actually reach the 12 points? I know they will be automatically reset at the end of the year, but what happens when you reach the 12 and you really need your license half way the year.

7. #57 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene184 View Post
    Sorry but have to revive this thread. Does anyone know what has to be done when you actually reach the 12 points? I know they will be automatically reset at the end of the year, but what happens when you reach the 12 and you really need your license half way the year.
    You buy points on other people's driving licences.. You they are from 100 to 200 rmb each.. You don't put the points on your own driving license..

8. #58 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    In most countries you lose the points three years after you receive them. China, being a copycat type country probably has the same or similar rules.

9. #59 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    In most countries you lose the points three years after you receive them. China, being a copycat type country probably has the same or similar rules.
    If you want to talk about most other countries you can but here in China it's one year.

You buy the points on other people's licenses and it solves the problem of you going over the 11 pts

There are other ways.. I used to share stuff but I'll keep this one for myself..

10. #60 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    If you want to talk about most other countries you can but here in China it's one year.

You buy the points on other people's licenses and it solves the problem of you going over the 11 pts

There are other ways.. I used to share stuff but I'll keep this one for myself..
    One year seems way too lax, but checked it, you're right.

Other people selling points cannot be legal so if caught the punishment will be much worse than the original crime.

Most points are gained from running reds and speeding, nearly all cameras facing forward you've got to be pretty idiotic to build up 12 points in a year or even three on a bike. Although if you drove a car everyday you could easily gain points very quickly.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast