Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
The mentality here is "PASS THE TEST" and then do what you like. The problem is very few people "learn" how to drive. Their objective is to pass the test. ....
Second that, however I am not entirely of the belief that its all their fault, I mean after all for what is most likely the vast majority of new car drivers its not only their first car...its the first car in the family. I grew up in America, was driving an F150 truck on my Uncles farm at 13 and had a temp permit at 15 to drive. My parents brought me home at birth from the hospital in a car and like most westerners grew up in a car culture. Not so here in China. They take the same mentality in driving as they do walking, which is as best as I can tell...."I was here first so go around me."

Its not that I think most don't know how to drive, or stand in an orderly like its just what everyone else does so that's how it works. The government placed several dozen new cameras in my small town (in a highly visible manner) and within a week there was a NOTICEABLE difference in driving skills on display, a halving of red light runners and even moto-taxis started wearing helmets (albeit with the chin strap undone)

Much like anywhere else in the world, people here know better but the police appear uninterested in enforcement of traffic laws...maybe that would change drastically if the police got 10% for every citation, not that I advocate the idea. I clearly remember taking my Chinese wife to Hong Kong for the first time and maybe within an hour hearing here say to me....they drive really good here! Out of nowhere such a keen observation, and she does not even drive yet.

And to reply about the test...that IS the Chinese way for students...its ALL about passing tests. Sadly little independent thought is involved and its about memorization, not critical thought or problem solving. Many students at my friends English school say they hate this method, memorize, test, memorize some more....test....etc.

I am pleased to see the government begin to address the matters, the number one cause of death in China is automobile accidents, then cancer. Given the number of actual cars on the road, that is amazing to me and gives me pause for my yearning to get a bike...ok, pause over still getting a ride.