Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Curious if anyone has a study manual source for the NEW drivers exam in English? I have only vaguely made attempts to locate one, no avail. I was studying for the old test, some really F'd up question on that one...had to learn the WRONG thing to do in many situations. As if I am going to lay down on my bench seat in the event of a head on collision, assumes that I have a bench seat and totally defeats the purpose of those new fangled devices (Seat belts & Air bags) and I guess that I will never know the real reason why I need to honk my horn, and stop for a person wearing a cotton padded hat and long cotton coat. I mean, it could be wool, or nylon ya know...(yes real questions on practice test.)

Maybe the new test will actually be easier for westerners? Assuming they have modernized the "correct" actions for accidents, which I hope do not still include jumping out of the car in a side impact accident. Again, yes that was a real correct answer for the old test.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

2. #42 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lain View Post
    Curious if anyone has a study manual source for the NEW drivers exam in English? I have only vaguely made attempts to locate one, no avail. I was studying for the old test, some really F'd up question on that one...had to learn the WRONG thing to do in many situations. As if I am going to lay down on my bench seat in the event of a head on collision, assumes that I have a bench seat and totally defeats the purpose of those new fangled devices (Seat belts & Air bags) and I guess that I will never know the real reason why I need to honk my horn, and stop for a person wearing a cotton padded hat and long cotton coat. I mean, it could be wool, or nylon ya know...(yes real questions on practice test.)

Maybe the new test will actually be easier for westerners? Assuming they have modernized the "correct" actions for accidents, which I hope do not still include jumping out of the car in a side impact accident. Again, yes that was a real correct answer for the old test.
    I think you are asking for the impossible.
    My wife has just got her 2013 book, (Chinese)
    I really don't think there will be any English books any time soon.

Just learn the previous set of questions, and take the computer test, and see how you do.

You will just have to get used to the unusual way the questions are asked,
    Whether the answer in your mind is right or wrong, or just plain stupid, doesn't matter.
    Just give them the answer that gives you the point.
    Get 90 of the points, get the licence.

Gra

3. #43 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    +1 to Graham's very current assessment.

Lain, you clearly have been working from extremely outdated or nonstandard materials. The MCM thread on getting a Chinese motorcycle license includes the latest information, as well as offers by me to provide the universal question bank (in Chinese and English) that was official until 1 January when a new question bank was promulgated. You'd do well to spend time with materials that are as current as possible. There are a few questions that beggar logic, but actually not that many. Most of the questions are perfectly sensible. One hopes that the new question bank harmonizes even more with international practice.

You'll also see in the license thread that some guy is offering the new question bank in Chinese only for 1 rmb on Taobao. This is probably where Graham's wife found her copy. Given that your wife also reads Chinese, this could be your best option at the moment for learning current law in preparation for getting a license.

As ever, advanced search is your friend. The things you are hypothesizing about are largely covered in the MCM archives.

Good luck to you.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #44 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    As ever, advanced search is your friend. The things you are hypothesizing about are largely covered in the MCM archives.

Good luck to you.
    Not to be rude, but I did do a search, which yields so many results as to be about useless depending on how many different ways you perform the search....which I did, and led me to this thread. If every time I post a question and the reply is to find the answer using a search, it would not only frustrate new members, but defeat the entire purpose of having this forum. I mean why should I make an account and ask about anything if all I need to do is read the entire forum and have all my questions answered. (sarcasm) Again, not trying to be an ass, but 3 times I have been told to use a search rather than have a discussion..it is after all, a forum?

Graham, my wife will also soon attend driving school (car) after the we return home from the Chinese new year. Not sure if the driving school is up to teaching for the new test as I have heard about many complaints. Depending on how long the book is, I may have my friend translate it and post it here for everyone. He has an English school and give each of his teachers some pages to lighten the task of translation, he has done this before for my business documents. He just took the driving test, was shocked that virtually ALL of the questions were NOT from his study manuals and out of the 14 other students that took the test, he and 3 others were the only ones to pass.

Memorization of the test answers is all that matters, even if the correct answer is NOT the right thing to do. As a person who has raced cars (SS Street) and an avid MTB rider, I find the driving here to be an affront to my sensibility....but its strangely amusing and even fun. Inside Xiaolan the police do not care that I drive my little 50cc scooter around without a license but I am exceptionally mindful that its only inside my little town and the restriction to this little space is killing me. I am sure that when I take the test soon, it will not be difficult but I like to be as prepared as I can and all the changes make me hesitant.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

5. #45 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Not to be rude, but I did do a search, which yields so many results as to be about useless depending on how many different ways you perform the search....which I did, and led me to this thread. If every time I post a question and the reply is to find the answer using a search, it would not only frustrate new members, but defeat the entire purpose of having this forum. I mean why should I make an account and ask about anything if all I need to do is read the entire forum and have all my questions answered. (sarcasm) Again, not trying to be an ass, but 3 times I have been told to use a search rather than have a discussion..it is after all, a forum?
    Sorry to give offense, Lain, but your sarcasm and indignation are misplaced. I've not kept track, but I think I've personally responded to several of your posts with detailed information, and I'm not the only one. So I think MCM has been a friendly and supportive resource. Yes, in each instance I've probably hinted that the information might have been found through your own search.

That said, I too have been frustrated by MCM search. It's not perfect, though advanced search when used properly can get what you need. And pleased don't bother with the basic search window that appears on every MCM page (upper right corner), which is useless. Another excellent and perhaps superior approach is to use Google. I just done separate google searches for "chinese motorcycle license" and "motorcycle license in china" and -- bang -- the first item either way is paydirt -- the MCM thread titled "Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License".

I appreciate your offer to help get the new drivers license question bank translated, and hope that Graham or another member can provide it to you if you cannot source it yourself through Taobao. It remains to be seen whether there will be a motorcycle-specific test. There supposedly was before, but none of us who took it was able to discern whether we were getting a general C1 exam or something specific to C1D and/or C1E. And as you go through the process of getting licensed, I'm confident that your posts about your experiences will be welcomed by all.

Bear up, friend.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #46 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    No problems, and while I am a noob to this site...and even having a motorcycle (anywhere in the world) I am not a noob on forums having operated and hosted them on my own servers. Even my new company website will have a well integrated forum and social media platform that has been merged to operate seamlessly with the Magento e-commnerce system..I am an expert in websites, and you are correct the basic search is about useless. However the advanced search offers up too many results to be very useful, and if you use more than 3 words it often returns nothing. An advanced search using basic search words/phrases is frustrating at best. I do not fault the folks here, vBulletin is not really that good, especially since its a commercial product. Personally I prefer phpBB3, Kunena (Joomla) but I am a coder so I like "open" platforms. Also it could be more useful to have the site moderators merge subjects that are similar so searches return more accurate results.

The problem with Google searches are that, like so many issues in China, it greatly depends on where you live as to the correct answers. A forum is a good place to build a personal relationship with folks who may have and share real experiences from the area in question. Also I see that while there is a degree of user activity here, many of the search results are dated, often by several years. There is little useful information to be gleamed from a 3 year old post in a country where everything changes while you sleep. That said, yes you have replied with useful information and I am thankful, and as mentioned was not trying to be an ass.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

7. #47 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Lain,

Folk here really are good guys.
    I wouldn't have passed my test without the help from here.

My wife Fay bought the download off Tabao as mentioned earlier. Just 1 quai.
    Fay is Chinese, which is just as well, as the downloaded material is in Chinese.

I then enrolled Fay into a driving school just last week.
    She go's for her computer test on 6th Feb.
    They gave her a 2013 book to study.

If you want a copy of the Tabao download, just ask.
    I have the pre January car and the pre January bike test questions if you want, in English.

You said earlier "Memorization of the test answers is all that matters, even if the correct answer is NOT the right thing to do. As a person who has raced cars (SS Street) and an avid MTB rider, I find the driving here to be an affront to my sensibility..."

Forget any thing about SS Street, get that out of your mind right away.

Good luck,

Gra.

8. #48 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Banned
    No problems, and while I am a noob to this site...and even having a motorcycle (anywhere in the world) I am not a noob on forums having operated and hosted them on my own servers. Even my new company website will have a well integrated forum and social media platform that has been merged to operate seamlessly with the Magento e-commnerce system..I am an expert in websites, and you are correct the basic search is about useless. However the advanced search offers up too many results to be very useful, and if you use more than 3 words it often returns nothing. An advanced search using basic search words/phrases is frustrating at best. I do not fault the folks here, vBulletin is not really that good, especially since its a commercial product. Personally I prefer phpBB3, Kunena (Joomla) but I am a coder so I like "open" platforms. Also it could be more useful to have the site moderators merge subjects that are similar so searches return more accurate results.

The problem with Google searches are that, like so many issues in China, it greatly depends on where you live as to the correct answers. A forum is a good place to build a personal relationship with folks who may have and share real experiences from the area in question. Also I see that while there is a degree of user activity here, many of the search results are dated, often by several years. There is little useful information to be gleamed from a 3 year old post in a country where everything changes while you sleep. That said, yes you have replied with useful information and I am thankful, and as mentioned was not trying to be an ass.
    what's next? drum roll..... sales pitch trying to sell your service or forums....

9. #49 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    what's next? drum roll..... sales pitch trying to sell your service or forums....
    Well I am starting to witness a pattern of similar behavior. Nice to know how you make new members feel, um...welcome.

There will be no offers for services that I don't provide. I host my own companies and feeder sites. I will refrain from commenting on your "PMS" issues, though it is is tempting given your remarks.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

10. #50 Re: Jan 1, 2013 Traffic Law Amendments 
    Graham,
    How big is the new 2013 test book they gave your wife? Is it something that can be easily translated? I would love a copy if you have a digital (PDF/Word) version that I can have translated. If I can get my friend to translate it I most certainly will upload a copy here for all to share. In all honesty I am tossing out any thoughts of the previous test material after my friend said the new test had NONE of the old questions. He is Chinese, but speaks perfect English AND French! At the moment I am just getting ready for everything, doing the research, obtaining prices on several models of bikes and trying to disseminate fact from fiction about Chinese bikes which I will most likely end up with...the wife's not to pleased about the idea of me spending 40~55,000 rmb on a bike. She is hinting (loudly) at about half that amount....

Your comment about the SS Street, ya I know. I had to sell my 72 Mustang , 514 stroked motor drag car when I found that it was impossible to import it here...took it to the strip and wasted a set of tires and 4 nitrous bottles before I gave it to the new owner, sad day...but did manage to rip a 9.32 @ 149 its 3rd best run ever.

Some things I will forever miss here while I live in China, a good steak, carpeted floors and highly modified street legal cars.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast