Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    Inspiring!

Are you going to put the plate back on it? Maybe mount it on its side following the shock?
    Love the seat how did you do it/get it from?

2. #22 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    Dude,

Totally blown away with how fast you put that together. Nice Work!!!

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #23 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    BRILLANT!!!
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #24 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    A huge thank you for all the support and kind comments, I suppose a combination of some time off during the holidays plus some serious motivation managed to make this project happen, I'll upload all the videos to youku so that my fellow China bikers can see the whole project as it unfolded. I've been so inspired by this last bike that as soon as it's 100% (waiting for some last little touches like a speedo etc to arrive from taobao), I'll get started on a new project :)

5. #25 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    You obviously have way too much time on your hands.. Taking a crap chinese bike and turning it into a good looking crap chinese bike. You deserve to be slapped!!!!! Keep the posts coming. Actually I know of a very very old Chinese CZ knock off . .the 250cc two stroke.. It is complete but very very tatty. .now.. how much spare time do I have????hmmmm

6. #26 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Inspiring!

Are you going to put the plate back on it? Maybe mount it on its side following the shock?
    Love the seat how did you do it/get it from?
    20130114_122325.jpg

Well it did have a plate buried under all the dirt, but it's a front plate, and well the frame VIN number has actually half rubbed off from all the friction of the clutch and brake cable being dragged back and forth over it for years.. and the new engine has no numbers on it... I'm guessing this is just going to be a fun bike for me to mess about on in my area, maybe go on short little trips to the beach or something, if it gets confiscated then I won't be too upset since the experience of building it was the real reward, I learnt a lot, drank a lot of beer, got covered in grease from head to toe, I may try to mount that plate to see if I can get the styling right (also may be a good idea to look at least a little legit :)

Here's a breakdown of the costs:

Original purchase: RMB550
    New unpainted tank, petcock and mounting rubbers (incl delivery): 124RMB
    New 250cc 6speed engine, Mikuni branded PZ30 carb, wiring harness, grips, throttle with kill switch and starter button, carb adaptor (that rubber thing that allowed me to adapt the bigger carb to the smaller original airbox hose) (incl delivery): 2270RMB
    Cafe Racer seat specifically made for CG125 bikes (incl delivery): 490RMB
    New exhaust, new swingarm, new battery, new front mud guard, new CDI (the one sent with the engine was the wrong type?), new 428 chain and a new front sprocket (all bought at my local pikey bike shop): 380RMB
    Engineering job to machine a new stem for the triple clamp, plus new head bearings: 225RMB
    Paint, black spray paint glossy (for panels and tank) matt black for the frame, clear coat: 38RMB

There are probably a few odds and ends I'm forgetting here, clutch and accelerator cables, engine oil etc etc, so let's add 200RMB for misc stuff.

Total project cost: 4277RMB

20130114_120147.jpg
    (Captain Pikey came round to see if his wheels had been put to good use)

Keep in mind that I did get a set of free front forks, wheels and tyres from my friend Tom (Captain Pikey). This is awesome and now I have enough bits left over to start a new bike :D

7. #27 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    Does that engine have a counter balancer? 6 Speeds hey...how fast on the ol' GPS?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #28 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Serpentza,

Amazing work, and an important tutorial in how to say "no" to the naysayers!

As for your plate, why not at least see if there's any record for the front plate that came on the bike, then see if the seller (donor?) has any paperwork to match the number. It's a longshot, but it would be over-the-top awesome to actually make that beast street legal!

Looking forward to your video posts!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #29 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Does that engine have a counter balancer? 6 Speeds hey...how fast on the ol' GPS?

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    It doesn't have a balancer, the engine with the balancer costs 500 more.. you certainly feel the vibrations, but it's just such a fun little package, lots of grunt and pull. I have yet to test the top speed (I haven't hooked up the rear brake properly yet so I'm a little chicken to take it all the way up), I estimate that it'll be reasonably good, at least over a hundred, it has a really good solid pull through all six gears... can't wait for the speed test (will probably do it on Saturday or Sunday, just waiting for some parts to arrive so I can sort the brake). I did hoon it a bit the other night and with its stiff suspension it's really flickable...

10. #30 Re: The Crap Bike Chronicles Challenge 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Serpentza,

Amazing work, and an important tutorial in how to say "no" to the naysayers!

As for your plate, why not at least see if there's any record for the front plate that came on the bike, then see if the seller (donor?) has any paperwork to match the number. It's a longshot, but it would be over-the-top awesome to actually make that beast street legal!

Looking forward to your video posts!

cheers
    Well I basically bought this bike as a piece of scrap, it would be awesome if it were street legal, but I think finding any paperwork would be impossible, I'll try that with my next project, I've got a fantastic idea for what I want to do next, I'll probably buy a registered crap bike and fix it up as legal as possible :)

Videos will be up as soon as possible, and I'll take it out for a ride with the GoPro this weekend and get some footage of how it rides for you all to see, it's just such a fun little thing.

20130114_124224.jpg
    I found an original version to park next to as a comparison ;)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast