Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Brice,

Great report and pictures! Sorry to hear about the clutch but it could also have something to do with being heavily loaded and run in deep mud.

That mud looked pretty thick. How many kilometers of mud roads was there?

CC
    No more than 10km of mud but the road was really bad since 50km. My first though was that I've been too harsh with the clutch to avoid the bike to stall. It was hot this day so it is possible that I burnt the plates.

B,

Looking forward to knowing how you solved the problem! I loved the concrete room you stayed in.... that's REAL China travel for you!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

B,

Looking forward to knowing how you solved the problem! I loved the concrete room you stayed in.... that's REAL China travel for you!

CC
    This is solved Carl, read the last part of the RR again...

I take 2 hours to find an hotel, take a shower and go to the local WangBa (internet cafe) to check my emails. When I come back to the mechanic shop I have the surprised to find him on the bike. He tried some used plates from a 125cc Suzuki and they are the same. The clutch is working nicely. I decide to keep them for now but will wait for the new ones next day to have some spare parts in case of another problem. More 6000km later this is still the same used 125cc plates...

After 3 days in this village, a repaired clutch, a brand new custom bag rack and a cleaned bike it is time to leave.

A last pic with the mechanic.

A kiss goodbye to this sweet little blonde who cries to see me (leaving).

To avoid the muddy section of the road along the large river, I take some detour. There is still some little adventure to spice up the jaunt, a 30cm deep river crossing.

Locals with their bikes normally go by the foot bridge but it is too narrow for me.

This back road across the hills is perfect for dirt biking.

After 20km, I'm back on the main road, the dust and its cohort of trucks and buses.

Villages rhythm the ride.

This is morning, farmers and villagers gather to the market.

Not sure but I think this gate indicates that I'm leaving GuangXi and entering Guizhou province.

It is getting more mountainous. This is now Miao country.

No place is left untouched.

Two best friends.

Traditionally Miao women wear black clothes.

Next morning, I visit the local market in RongJiang to buy some fruit and cakes for my breakfast.

I spot this dirt bike from Zhongshen.

More villages.

And bike's pics.

By the end of the afternoon, I reach Leshan, a nicely decorated small city. This is a tourist hub for people who want to explore the Miao county.

I didn't expected to stop more than an hour on my way to Kaili a larger city 40km north but once again the bike needs some attention.

After stopping to buy a drink, impossible to restart the bike. The neutral light is on but the electric starter seems dead. Quickly I realize that I have no lights, no horn.
    I remove the bag and the seat to check the fuse, the battery connectors, all is fine. The gps directly connected on the battery shows there is some juice. I'm starting to worry about having some electronic box dead.
    I ask some guy if they know a bike shop around. There is one 300 meters. So I push the bike to the place and the mechanic rechecks like I did before.

We open the front light to check the cables inside and miracle, the turn lights flash! After few minutes of investigation, we find a cable cut.

Half an hour to put everything back, a pic of the shop's owner and it is already too late to go back on the road.

Once the hotel settled, this is already dinner time. I venture in the streets until I find the right place to fill up my belly. When this is possible and tempting, I'm always go for local specialties.

Tonight this will be: galettes de pomme de terre, tofu aux herbes et sauce epicée (potatoe pancakes, tofu with herbs and spicy sauce).

To be continued...

Really enjoying this, keep up the good work!

Seems really exotic to me, because I live in north China!

Whoops! Looks like I missed something.

You said the cable was cut. Was it cut by a person or did it just break naturally?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #27 Nice picture show 
    Master of Thump
    Nice picture show extravaganza, you have definately captured my attetnion this morning . Is nice to wake up and look at this journey your on , I was right there with ya ( I wish ! ) in my mind . I find it easy to day dream into your guys journeys . I am envious for sure.
    Good luck and be safe , and may God clear the way for you and keep you safe from stupid people that want to run you over .

Enjoy, I know I am !!!!
    Thanks, Snortin Norton

Whoops! Looks like I missed something.

You said the cable was cut. Was it cut by a person or did it just break naturally?

CC
    This is a cable in the bundle that goes from the front light to the battery. It seems it was too short and it was linked with another cable without proper connector. Not a big deal but touchy to find because it was inside a plastic tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Snortin Norton View Post
    Nice picture show extravaganza, you have definately captured my attetnion this morning . Is nice to wake up and look at this journey your on , I was right there with ya ( I wish ! ) in my mind . I find it easy to day dream into your guys journeys . I am envious for sure.
    Good luck and be safe , and may God clear the way for you and keep you safe from stupid people that want to run you over .

Enjoy, I know I am !!!!
    Thanks, Snortin Norton
    Unfortunately, you'll read later that no one has kept me to run over somebody...

10. #30 Chickens 
    Master of Thump
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Unfortunately, you'll read later that no one has kept me to run over somebody...
    I am betting you have already run over your share of small animals , how could you not ? So much road kill , so few recipes .

Later, Snortin Norton

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast