Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all,

We are considering an overland trip from UK through Russia, Mongolia, and into China for a month.
    Then depart and return to UK.

I am trying to find the offices that deal with temporary import of vehicles.
    Like, when one exits Mongolia at Zamiin Uud, and enters China at Erenhot.

I know this isn't strictly motorbike stuff, but it is regarding temporary vehicle registration, which could also be applied to bikes as well as cars, may be some one knows this stuff.

Then there is the customs import office, where is that in Erenhot?

Also, does any one know how to go about temporary vehicle insurance, for the month we will be in China in our UK registered vehicle?

Gra.

2. #2 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Wish you good luck with that one, helped a mate and his group of USA BMW GS riders in the early 2000's to ride 6 weeks around China and absolute nightmare to get permits back in the days (red tape galore), talking about temporary bike import, driving license, insurance, special visas (Big T Travel). Premium bonds had to be paid to assure the bikes and all gear (clothing , tools, helmets and spare parts) were exported after the 6 weeks travel period. We had to get a government licensed "guide" involved but thats a a totally different story as we ended up very lucky but the whole adventure was very costly due to all the permits and difficulties.

Doubt the authorities will make it any easier and cheaper these days, keep us informed.

FYI: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com is a good read about worldwide vehicle travels.

edit: have not checked HU for ages and just read this about China: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/newsletter/2012-11 and http://www.ekke-audrey.ca

3. #3 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all,

Well as I would have expected.

Just so much contradicting information.

I can jump in my car here now, and drive to Yantai, Qingdao, any where I please, without a guide, without even a passenger.

Yet, I am told, if I enter my UK registered car temporary into China, then i need a permanent guide to show me around, and to stop me going places I shouldn't be going.

WTF !!!

I need to contact the border PSB, even trying to find people to talk to (no me talking but the wife) is proving a nightmare.

So today we need find the Erenhote PSB to talk to.

Gra.
    I found this which seems to explain it quite well.
    TIC = This is China!

1. Everything is possible in China.

2. Nothing is easy.

3. Patience is the essence of success.

4. The answer "yes" is not necessarily an indication of agreement or confirmation.

5. "You don't understand our country" means they disagree.

6. "Provisional regulations" mean they can change the rules any time they want, even retroactively.

7. "Basically, no problem" means a BIG problem.

8. "Signing a contract" means the beginning of the real negotiation.

9. When you are feeling optimistic, think about rule number two.

10. When you are feeling discouraged, think about rule number one.

4. #4 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yes Graham as you are working out nothing is that simple in PRC. The easy things in Ch!na are often complicated and the complicated things in Ch!na are simple.

You are correct in your assumption that even though you are in PRC currently with a visa that might entitle you to stay here for a year or so, however if you were to go out of the country to pick up a vehicle (any vehicle) and return with it on a carnet' then YES YOU MUST HAVE AN APPROVED TRAVEL GUIDE. The guide will have to come from an approved list, and all fees and costs associated with the guide must be paid for by yourself. If the guide needs to travel in their own vehicle then you will be paying for this too.

A very good friend of mine been in China 20+ years with one of the first foreign companies setup in the area I reside (special economic and trade development zone) employing many Chinese nationals including many at grass roots village level, bought 3 brand new Land Rover Defenders (bought somewhere in Europe). He paid cash for them, then spent a considerable fortune fitting them out for the trip from the EU to PRC late 2009/2010. He was accompanied by a German? couple in a MAN 4wd truck that they had retrofitted as a mobile home, and have been travelling the world in. This friend had asked me if I wanted to fly out to meet them at the border they intended to cross into PRC, to be one of the 4x4 drivers. I was enthusiastic, and with loads of 4x4/4wd experience at hand, was looking forward to the experience. Unfortunately the circumstances changed, after one of the defenders rolled near the Chinese border and despite remedial repairs was eventually sent back to Europe prematurely.

So even my friend has the best Guanxi and all that, having lived here for 20+ years, he still had to have a Carnet and was required to be accompanied by a Guide (mandatory). The guide had his own 4x4 (4wd) which he travelled in, staying in all the locations, at all the same hotels etc. The vehicles and occupants could not really deviate too much from the planned route from what I recall, which had to be submitted/provided to the authorities beforehand. From what I recall, the vehicles had to be at certain places at certain times, and more importantly had to be at the border on time to exit the country or substantial fines (bureaucratic red-tape) would have followed. It was apparently quite strict considering he and a few of the other participants have lived in PRC so long. From memory they were not allowed into areas deemed sensitive, though the guide was quite amenable to a point.

Still despite it all, he got it done, and two of the three defenders (albeit the other defender was badly damaged in the rollover) are parked outside his house this morning (he's a neighbour) complete with PRC license plates etc. That cost him considerable amount of money and effort. The cost for the trip itself was substantial. All the vehicles were full, with people paying for a seat to participate to the best of my knowledge. I'd have hit him up for some info for you Gra, but my friend and neighbour is away overseas at the moment. When he is back I will attempt to chew his ear for you, but he is a busy man, travelling often.

You can read about the exploits here (it is in German though)

Tried pasting photos of some of the trip but for what ever reason MCM is having a brain-fart over it... so no photos.

4x4 tents.jpg

5. #5 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thank you very much bikerdoc,

A good insight to some issues.

My Chinese wife has recently passed her "English Speaker Tour Guide" exams.

As I have a Chinese driving licence, and a Chinese car, I can, almost drive, wherever I want.

But the minute I want o drive a foreign registered car in China, it becomes a money exercise, to see how much money the Chinese tour guides can screw out of foreigners.

There must be a way,

Perhaps I need to get Fay to be "Employed" by a recognised tour company, however without pay, or may be even some money heading in their direction.

May be pay the tour company to do all the paperwork for us, but not provide one of their guides, and "employ" Fay, in that way, it may be possible?

Gra.

6. #6 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    "But the minute I want o drive a foreign registered car in China, it becomes a money exercise, to see how much money the Chinese tour guides can screw out of foreigners.

There must be a way,"

Ok this is why these companies charge lots and lots of money to organize foreigners to travel through China with there foreign registered cars.

They have gaunxi you and your wife/partner don't.Well not in the areas that you think you do other wise you would not be asking how to do it here.

Don't worry many people have tried and failed and in years past it was easier than now.

7. #7 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    "Perhaps I need to get Fay to be "Employed" by a recognised tour company, however without pay, or may be even some money heading in their direction.

May be pay the tour company to do all the paperwork for us, but not provide one of their guides, and "employ" Fay, in that way, it may be possible?"

All reputable tour companies the guide(that is there guide) hold all the tourists paper work and visa's etc,etc

The money you would probably pay the company for "Fay" to be employed as the guide would probably be the same as the money you pay the company to use their guide.

8. #8 Re: Any one up in Inner Mongolia? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Wow, Damo,

Quite abrasive there, cool down.

Gra.