Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    @bigdamo: I don't like the train idea, I'll try to ride all around. What do you mean by Urumqi west? West side of the city?

@China V: I got on my bike to Wutai mountain area without paying last year with Lobotomus, I'm kind of proud of that. By the Huangshan do you mean just the mountain? It would be enough for me just to pass by the area. The view should be good enough, same with Guilin. I don't know if it's possible as I've never been there but I don't need to get to the top.

@Graham: Can you tell me some of those places please?

Qinghai province is kind of a mystery for me so far. Has anyone been there? I havn't even heard about it before.
    "Yulshul Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, commonly known as Yushu, is an autonomous prefecture of southwestern Qinghai province, Western China."
    Can I go there? Or is it like Tibet?
    JH-150GY-3

2. #12 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Banned
    -T- Plateau, Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang would be on top of my personal riding list, OK, I am biased as I have been several times in the regions.
    Might do a Shanghai - Sanya ride in 2013 with a Guangzhou / Dongguan stop-over but it's different for me as I run a business on Hainan Island and Southern China and that gives me a few reasons and excuses…...

3. #13 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    I'm checking out Qinghai now. looks amazing. There are no Tbetan kind of restrictions there?
    JH-150GY-3

4. #14 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Hey Filipu,

it seems like Pat came through Qinghai on his commute to work: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...t=commute+work

Same for Roadrunner in his Around China in 100 days: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...t=commute+work

Both ride reports say that Yunshu is still a huge tent town after the city was basically razed during an earthquake.

Everything outside Tibet and some far-western parts of Xinjiang should be OK for foreigners. Then again, a friend of mine was just denied travelling to Xiahe (tibetan populated) in Linxia (Gansu). So you never know.

Pick places you want to see and screen ride reports here for especially scenic rides but don't plan to much in advance. You will not be able and willing to stick to a fixed roadbook for 3 months.

Just my two cents.

I posted my plans for Easter this year. Your in?
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

5. #15 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Hey! thanks for the links and advice. I'd liek to go with you but I've handed my notice, I will finish my job in 2 months and I don't think I will get any holidays before that especially there is no holidays in my Korean office;) It should be warm soon, so maybe some one day trip some day?
    JH-150GY-3

6. #16 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Do you think it's possible to get something like trip approval? Is there some tourism office, ministry where I could go and show my plan? I'm still working on the route and there are some suspicious places. On my polish paper map, with little detail I've found a road going east from the Karakoram highway. It would be good to take it that I don't need to go twice the same road, but on the baidu.map the road doesn't exist. What is more, the Karakoram highway itself, also doesn't exist. So there is a chance that there are some secrets, you never know. I know it's less adventure to check that, but having an interrogation somewhere in the mountains near Pakistan border... well it's kind of big adventure ;)
    JH-150GY-3

7. #17 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    So this is the my plan. 20800km. Maybe too many. Qinghai lake would probably already satisfy me.
    ma.jpg

This is link to my blog with main points in polish.
    http://www.iloveyourmici.pl/chinski-...-plan-wyjazdu/

Anyone who would like to join?
    JH-150GY-3

8. #18 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Im going around China and possibly to Mongolia too starting around May from Zhejiang province. Going north first. I got 2 months off work so got kinda the same plan as you ;) Maybe we can meet somewhere on the road or ride together a while.

Im also Polish!!! hah

9. #19 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Siema! Sounds great. Tell me more details about your plan. When will you leave? You have a precise date? I'll be back from Poland on15th of may, I need two days to get over jetlag or sth and I'm ready to go. It would be great if we could go some of the road together. Whats your bike? Where do you want to get in 2 months? What do you do in Jiaojiang?
    Filip
    JH-150GY-3

10. #20 Re: 18.000 km around China in 2 months 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    -T- Plateau, Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang would be on top of my personal riding list, OK, I am biased as I have been several times in the regions.
    Might do a Shanghai - Sanya ride in 2013 with a Guangzhou / Dongguan stop-over but it's different for me as I run a business on Hainan Island and Southern China and that gives me a few reasons and excuses…...
    when will you be going to Sanya? maybe we can meet up in GZ!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast