Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Makes me think about the character Charlie Babbit of the movie Rain Man. An importer, they can likely get you anything you want for a price? A special import would have to go through all kinds of hoops and each one of those hoops represented by a gate keeper, with their hand out, wanting it to be greased.

The CB400 retails in Japan for $8,400.00 for the Super Bol D’OR
    685,000 Yen for the Super Four, that’s $7,622.00 USD, the Super Four is the standard version of the CB400

I sure would like to have a CB400, but not for that price of 110,000 RMB that is $17,683.00 USD, but if you have that to spend and you can get it….then why not? At the price they quoted it seems like they would have enough cash in hand to get one through all the hoops into China?

http://www.honda.co.jp/CB400SF/

I would suspect if you could get a Ninja 300 it be about half the price of the CB400 or about 55-60k? That’s if the valuation is not changed by Chinese customs, I heard they can do that, claim it worth more then what you paid for it.

I do not think that Charlie Babbit offered service mechanics, his clients likely made their own arrangements? So warranty claims and recalls would be a deterrent.

Funny thing is that once an individual pays to get it through regulations, if that happens all other like models for that year would or should also be able to come through with less resistance? For example if I paid to get an EPA certificate for an Estrella into the USA then others could use that existing certificate, unless I had to make alterations to the vehicle to make it compliant, but that is only emissions, in this country they also require a statement from the manufacturer that the vehicle meets all FMVS standards…in China that would be CCC standards, it likely would but the statement would not exist its a label from the factory, a statement by the manufacturer that the model meet the countries safety standards.

None of the many countries with formal systems are that much different, there are only so many ways to peel an orange? The importer should be able to address all these issue any reluctance to discuss how may be because they break rules or are paying off the process, that being they bribe the gatekeepers.

2. #22 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Seems bad news for us then,. Well.... If thast the case ill go for the next best thing "cbr250"... If im not mistaken u mention that he have it on display or something?

3. #23 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Quote Originally Posted by xtoss View Post
    Seems bad news for us then,. Well.... If thast the case ill go for the next best thing "cbr250"... If im not mistaken u mention that he have it on display or something?
    u sure ? xD

4. #24 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Haha apologies maybe some other thread/store.... But they more likely to import it since its available honda thailand.....

5. #25 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Honda only imports their large displacement bikes.
    http://www.honda.com.cn/product/motor-import/
    You could inquire with them as to importing other models? Ask if there are any intentions to import the production models they manufacture in Thailand. I am so sure they frown on unauthorized imports.
    What is the price on the GW250 Suzuki or YBR250 Yamaha, I wonder how many get sold in a year the CBR250 would be at least twice the price if imported.
    Its true the Chinese are prestige motivated and the market for big bikes is for certain people that want brand names that make them feel exclusive in their own minds and in the minds of those in their social circles. I would like to know how many of the 1100-1300cc bike Honda sells in China in a year?
    As for getting a grey market CBR250, you will be asked for money up front and could be told while waiting for it the price keeps going up and up, then it could take a long time, one of the gatekeepers could hold out for more funds, problem with gangsters is they like to extort funds. They also see foreigners as outsiders and surely will take all they can get out of you.
    Unless the bike is right in front of you and all you have to do is pay and ride off then forget it, even then you could discover its not really legal? It could be stolen, it could be or have fake papers or be part of a government insider ring selling favors outside of regulations?
    I would say unless your Chinese and or can think in Chinese you should just follow the rules as they are or you could get involved in something you may regret.

6. #26 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Sup bro?.... Is there any update with the ninja 300? Hopefully good news:)

7. #27 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    [...] you will be asked for money up front and could be told while waiting for it the price keeps going up and up, then it could take a long time [...]
    I trust Murata, but I can't talk for all gatekeepers u mention...

Not a nice thought, but quite realistic.

He wouldn't be able to plate a stolen vehicle though.

No news from him, I'll go again this week, this time I'll tell him I have a friend who'd like a 300 too, see if this helps.

- - -

GW 250 & YBR 250 were both near 26000 RMB in december, didn't bargain.

I've seen a couple cops on brand new GWs this week end, it's always a good point...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

8. #28 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    i see, i dont know for sure my sched this weekend but probably i might see u there, quite interested bout his legit bikes, worst comes to worst maybe ill settle for GW 250 if our precious ninja 300 wont be possible:) thumbs up to u man for having the same enthusiasm to have the bike u really want and get it as legal as possible, im tired of hearing these guys that has negative impression bout bikes that is not listed in china. "impot" guys "IMPORT"! Anything can be imported (unless its a threat and harmful for the society) as long as your willing to pay for the extra $$$$ and have it registered then whats wrong with that?! id rather drive an e-bike rather than settle for anything less just because its convenient to get/buy/register.

We're riders aren't we? we are here because of our common interest about bike and ofcourse to consider the safety/legality of driving one. So instead of discouraging others and making "us" looks like an outlaw here how about be supportive and come up with some solutions. Sarcasm and behaving like "self righteous" individuals doesn't help. Why would i even bother joining this forum if i have no plans to get some usefull information how to get legit?

Im more into sports bike.
    Cruisers, street, dirt bikes etc. doesn't appeal me much but i share the same passion that these people have coz im i biker too. "sports bikes seems to be useless and dangerous to drive in shanghai" yeah! if you going to drive in QIPU LU! ninja 250 is one the lightest, most nimble bike on its class... why do u think it's the NO.1 low end displacement sports bike for more than a decade? And yet not a single member here seems to mention the advantages of the bike. Regal raptor, yamaha ybr 250 or whatever bike that is famous in this forum is heavier than the ninja 250. It might not have most upright driving position but when it comes to maneuvering in traffic and corners it can go head to head with other leading street bike out there.

And just for the record its not the "exclusiveness" im after, its all about performance,style and passion. I dont give a damn what bike people around me is driving and id like to think its vice versa. Its my personal preference and i know the capabilities of the bike (i used to own one back home '08 model) just want to experience again riding one and see whats the new model has to offer. To make my point short, " my bike my business" .

ride safe everyone....

9. #29 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    I feel u, especially on the "import" & "legit" point of view.

But some people on this forum with negative insight can save you years long trouble.

2 years ago, I wish someone told me: Don't u buy a Regal Raptor u cheap ass fool! What u save in $, u'll pay in time pushing and taking cabs to get parts from the shop till where it broke...

Like what MJH said about how dodgy it may be to import while a 1st payment is required, and then what?

That's kind of what happenned to me last month when I bought a scooter to invest in a plate, the guy sold me the scooter (I should not have take it before the plate was on it), told me he had a plate, then had me wait 1 month and increased the price of the plate by 5000 when I was on my knees with a scooter without plate...

Another factor to consider when thinking of importing a bike; parts.

A Ninja 300 or 250 would rock in SH, that's for sure.

But I may very well drop it on its side the 1st week, and then would have to wait 2 month for new fairings to get shipped here, and the price of that would be quite... Unpleasant.

YBR 250 is the obvious smart choice, parts are here, it's reliable, kinda light weight, no fairings, big tank, low consumption, powerful enough, and it comes in black (though lots of grey parts)...

But true, the YBR 250 and the Ninja 250 have little in commun, and now comes the Ninja 300...

U clearly have a point, my bike my business as u say, I will not settle for a second choice ever again.

This time, I'm looking at all options and measuring the weight of each bike's downsides since december while planing to buy in April, if I end up getting a YBR, it'll be my 1st choice then...

By the way;

Last year Murata could get the Ninja 250, I remember it was over 40K though...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #30 Re: Sport bikes 250cc and up 
    [QUOTE=braillce;52373]I feel u, especially on the "import" & "legit" point of view.

But some people on this forum with negative insight can save you years long trouble.

2 years ago, I wish someone told me: Don't u buy a Regal Raptor u cheap ass fool! What u save in $, u'll pay in time pushing and taking cabs to get parts from the shop till where it broke...

exactly man......... do u see anyone here actually saying it? till now?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast