Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Faria,

Thanks for doing this project, and thanks for sharing it with us. I really like the message inherent in your post, which is that we need not take too seriously all the overspecialization that rains down on our sport from manufacturers who what us to feel that we need multiple bikes to do multiple things. Sure, I would not want to take a low-slung "sport bike" up a mountain trail, and a dirt bike, even if licensed, would quickly become uncomfortable riding at speed on a highway. Our objective is to get out and ride and have fun and improve our skills and safety, which clearly is what you are doing with this little Qingqi.

That said, I really love the whole dual sport concept, which for me started with my chance purchase of a KLR650. It's an amazing weird bike -- heavy and powerful enough to ride endless hours on the expressway, yet tall and light enough to perform well in a huge variety of off-road settings. The standing joke about the KLR is that it's not great at anything, but it's good at everything. I'm not out to set speed records or do dangerous first ascents in the wilderness, so that kind of bike works just great for me. You seem to be achieving something similar with the Qingqi. Congratulations!

One word of caution about is your exhaust system, which is dangerously exposed under your frame to rocks and logs and other objects that you'll encounter on trails. One hard hit and you'll at least have a hole in the pipe; worse yet it might crack at the head, or even damage the head as the impact is carried along the pipe. Your next step might be to fashion some kind of skid plate to protect the bike's underside.

So how much difference did you feel in the ride and handling with the change of tires, higher bars and increased clearance? Were you able to stand on the bike for long stretches and still feel in control?

It's wonderful being able to see your corner of the world, though I wish you could get the autofocus on your camera to calm down and behave itself better. Can you manually set the camera to a small aperture and a long focus?

thanks and cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    Faria, have you thought to install front fork and swinging arm of Qingqi enduro, together with its wheels?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #13 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Faria,

Thanks for doing this project, and thanks for sharing it with us. I really like the message inherent in your post, which is that we need not take too seriously all the overspecialization that rains down on our sport from manufacturers who what us to feel that we need multiple bikes to do multiple things. Sure, I would not want to take a low-slung "sport bike" up a mountain trail, and a dirt bike, even if licensed, would quickly become uncomfortable riding at speed on a highway. Our objective is to get out and ride and have fun and improve our skills and safety, which clearly is what you are doing with this little Qingqi.

That said, I really love the whole dual sport concept, which for me started with my chance purchase of a KLR650. It's an amazing weird bike -- heavy and powerful enough to ride endless hours on the expressway, yet tall and light enough to perform well in a huge variety of off-road settings. The standing joke about the KLR is that it's not great at anything, but it's good at everything. I'm not out to set speed records or do dangerous first ascents in the wilderness, so that kind of bike works just great for me. You seem to be achieving something similar with the Qingqi. Congratulations!

One word of caution about is your exhaust system, which is dangerously exposed under your frame to rocks and logs and other objects that you'll encounter on trails. One hard hit and you'll at least have a hole in the pipe; worse yet it might crack at the head, or even damage the head as the impact is carried along the pipe. Your next step might be to fashion some kind of skid plate to protect the bike's underside.

So how much difference did you feel in the ride and handling with the change of tires, higher bars and increased clearance? Were you able to stand on the bike for long stretches and still feel in control?

It's wonderful being able to see your corner of the world, though I wish you could get the autofocus on your camera to calm down and behave itself better. Can you manually set the camera to a small aperture and a long focus?

thanks and cheers!
    well thats about it, i agree with you, the market want to make the ideia that you need a bike really specialized in every area, i put my hand into the fire that 99% of the persons that possesse big trail bikes never had done off road with them because its the appearences that count and if you have a big trail most peaple will think that you are a big adventurer....bollocks, at 3/4 months ago i have an gsxr 750, an suzuki marauder customized by me and this little 125cc, at this moment i have only the marauder because its my build and i like it very much, and have the "go anywere qingqi" because its really a bike that will do about everything, its not the bike, its the rider....

4. #14 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Faria, have you thought to install front fork and swinging arm of Qingqi enduro, together with its wheels?
    yes i have think about it, but at the moment the standard forks done the job just perfect, and the original wheels just look good on it, now im in process of build an skidplate and some raisers to put into the rear shock, in future i will make an rack to put some luggage..by the way in all the videos im with stock tires, i dont have a chance to try on the new set of tires....

5. #15 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

6. #16 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

7. #17 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

8. #18 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

9. #19 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    Yet you have not made ​​a complete madness, as some have done it ...

Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

10. #20 Re: Qingqi qm 125 dual sport project.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi, news developments to the project, a 14T front sprocket to get a little more torque, an Kamikaze PRO CDI, and a new front fairing that im expecting from japan, meanwhile testing the new sprocket....

the fairing is this...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast