Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    What are your thoughts for a fun runabout, not designed to cross China on, but rather for hours of entertainment close to home?

2. #2 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Percentage of road vs off road use? 17"/17" wheels or 21"/18"?

Galaxy doesn't really make the TGR anymore, heard they had a couple left over from an order a while ago, but parts are getting harder to get.

Liger- QM200 or QM250? Big difference, but neither are very good for off road.

Shineray is a bit expensive for what you get.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Banned
    personally for the Lingshui / Hainan area would get a JL600, gets you easy down to Sanya or up to Haikou on the G98 expressway and should be good enough for trail + beach riding but I am biased.....

looked at Shineray once over at the big Pudong (Shanghai) shop and wasn't very impressed.

4. #4 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    ChinaV, you're not giving me many options.
    21 by 18"wheels. 250cc not 200. All roads here are rural and I'd prefer to get into the hills or on the beach and off the paved roads with it, so 75% dirt.
    G 98 is a freeway and does not allow murdercycles. So to get to Sanya or Haiku on back roads would take hours of zig-zagging without any real route to follow and traffic in those cities not condusive for Freewheeling Freddy. It would be more for local hill climbing. The Dingaling 600 is a street bike and doesn't interest me at all unless there was an enduro version. It wouldn't do well on the sandy beach here.

5. #5 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingtiger View Post
    G98 is a freeway and does not allow murdercycles. So to get to Sanya or Haiku on back roads would take hours of zig-zagging
    Hmmm.... everyone I know that owns a half decent size bike takes the G98 Sanya - Haikou and so did I with my JL sidecar to get to the nicer spots quicker... none of the cops standing around or going on the expressway in cars blinked an eyelid.....

Some of my mates live in Sanya but work around 100k's out of Sanya and take the West Expressway every day to and from work with HD, BMW, CJ......

edit: forgot to mention the Chinese riding bicycles (mostly Dahon foldable ones) on the G98 expressway...

6. #6 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingtiger View Post
    ChinaV, you're not giving me many options.
    21 by 18"wheels. 250cc not 200. All roads here are rural and I'd prefer to get into the hills or on the beach and off the paved roads with it, so 75% dirt.
    G 98 is a freeway and does not allow murdercycles. So to get to Sanya or Haiku on back roads would take hours of zig-zagging without any real route to follow and traffic in those cities not condusive for Freewheeling Freddy. It would be more for local hill climbing. The Dingaling 600 is a street bike and doesn't interest me at all unless there was an enduro version. It wouldn't do well on the sandy beach here.
    Cool! Another newb who thinks he's smart enough to piss on ChinaV and TB-Racing. If you know all the answers already, why ask the questions? Since when is it ChinaV's responsibility to give you options? Spend a few hours in MCM you'll see that ChinaV has owned and hammered pretty much every bike of any substance in China, and he's already offered what anyone else would recognize is sterling advice.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    QingQi Liger - you're not going to be happy with it off road. I doubt you can even get the QM250, and you will need gaunxi to get it registered.

TGR - Contact Galaxy and see if they still have any of the left overs. I think they're asking around ¥12,800, but maybe you can negotiate a better deal. The TGR is simple enough to maintain, and the power to weight is great for enduro use. I like the air cooled TGR engine compared to the liquid cooled engine in the Shineray (same motor I had in my Yingang).

Shineray - I think the X2's are going for almost ¥17,000 now. That's a fair bit of coin, and I think the 125kg weight is a little optimistic. However, it's not like you have a lot of choices. If you're a big guy, I think you need to get a stiffer spring for the rear. You can find more info on it buried in MCM.

Agree on the JH600, it will never be a capable enduro machine, it is far too heavy. Not saying it can't be turned into a good adventure tourer or gravel road runner, but it just wasn't designed for bashing about in the woods.

If you're only interested in dirt roads and not trails, why not the new Shineray 400. Somebody needs to figure that mess out.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Wow! Lotta pent up anger being released in that post. Don't know where that came from but not worth worrying about.

Thanks for that ChinaV. I am going by the road signs on all the exits and never having seen a murdercycle on that freeway before. The bicycles, as you say, are on the shoulder everywhere. Last contact with Shineray factory said the 400 was coming and to stay in contact with the dealer. The dealer in Haikou had no idea when but suggested not until next year, so its anybody's guess.

9. #9 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Cool! Another newb who thinks he's smart enough to piss on ChinaV and TB-Racing. If you know all the answers already, why ask the questions? Since when is it ChinaV's responsibility to give you options? Spend a few hours in MCM you'll see that ChinaV has owned and hammered pretty much every bike of any substance in China, and he's already offered what anyone else would recognize is sterling advice.
    Bit cranky lately?
    Suffering from the pollution?
    Got to accept not everyone wants a Dingaling 600 LOL

10. #10 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Shineray - I think the X2's are going for almost ¥17,000 now"
    I was at the factory in December..i too was not impressed and the price is predicted to be higher than 17K..more like 19 wthout saddle boxes..the bike looked 'rough' as i was invited into the factory...because of 'foriegner face'....the factory was far more impressive than the Galaxy factory... but not worthing buying from what i saw.
    the XTR 250 i have had too many bugs to work out etc...and zero customer service...vibration is not good etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast