Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    What gets me about Qingqi is that they never figure out how to get 20hp out of the 199cc?
    That is the rating on a stock DR200 SE, I understand a DR200SE would not meet Chinese emissions? But just seems like that engine configuration is what Qingqi needs and a full line of bikes based on that engine for export. They must have some problems in some way or for some reason not to be able to bring a version more powerful version of that 199cc to the markets?

You can get a 200cc engine for the bike in china, but you cannot get what is needed to get it to 20hp not in China anyway.

What is the difference between the two engines is it just the carburetor or does it have a different head? The two add up to about $800.00 in parts.

So if you can track down a plated version of a 200 maybe you might be able to modify it up to 20hp? I am just not sure that engine in the Qjingqi is the same as the engine in the DR200 SE? Maybe it would break apart with a 20% increase in power, maybe it would tear up the engine parts?

2. #12 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    im wondering about the new Shineray x5.... i want a bike to ride around China on and it looks good for this just am not sure about reliability, it might break somewhere in the middle of nowhere and ill be in trouble.
    Thinking also about Yamaha YBR250, i know that its a street bike but maybe with a skid board and windshield it can do that trip. What you guys think?

flyingtiger - sorry for stealing the atention but i dont want to start new thread

3. #13 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    I think Qingqi is cheap until it hurts and also misguided and misdirected. They spent a ridicules amount of money developing the 250 that they never brought to the markets. A bigger heavier engine and never took the time to refine what they already had in hand.

I am sorry but a refined version of the Motard with an improved power rating would have been logical while they had peaked in 2008-2009 but instead they got all caught up in fan fair and simply dropped the ball and its still dropping.

I would bet that their powers that be are still cutting crucial marketing budgets and sales people and language translators. Then they channel all their business leads to Pioneer? Who then adds lesser parts and undercuts them in the markets at a lower level of quality. Then they sell parts out the back door to taobao agents when they could be selling parts direct themselves.

I would say the leaders are childish and often want so bad to be brilliant leaders autonomously that any ideas that are not theirs right or wrong are not taken seriously or they simply do not have the knowledge to validate a business process, they take some hair brained approach that actually makes bad worse. It takes allot to change direction. More then dropping famous brand names as partners.

4. #14 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    With all the praise the Dingaling 600 is getting, should we have included their 250 enduro in the group? I haven't heard much about that at all. I didn't know they had one until yesterday. Is it as trouble free as the 600?

5. #15 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingtiger View Post
    With all the praise the Dingaling 600 is getting, should we have included their 250 enduro in the group? I haven't heard much about that at all. I didn't know they had one until yesterday. Is it as trouble free as the 600?
    Dear flyingtiger,

I apologize for my impatience in a recent post. We get a lot of newcomers to MCM who, in their justifiable enthusiasm to ride, start peppering the forums with lots of questions without first spending a bit of time getting acquainted with the already very rich contents that can be found with the advanced search system (though not with the simple search window that's found on every page).

We all see ChinaV as something of an oracle in this forum, as he's made an amazingly systematic effort to identify, own and put to the test pretty much every Chinese enduro of any potential. If you use MCM to find all of the threads that ChinaV started, I think you too will be astonished by the depth of his passion for our sport, and for his determination to find the gems among the general dross of Chinabikes. He does that for all of our benefit, and for that alone he deserves vast respect.

So that post of yours that opened, "ChinaV, you're not giving me many options," even if meant in jest, rang in my ears like, "ChinaV, I'm unsatisfied with what you've told me; try again." I probably would have started with the words, "Thank you, ChinaV," or some other expression of gratitude.

As I'm wont to say, I'm not trying to be a prick (it comes naturally), but civility and courtesy go a long way when someone is, after all, asking for the help of people who essentially strangers, with our passion for motorcycles as the only real link between us. (I may be wrong, and you may be mates with ChinaV, but a general reader wouldn't know that.)

Oh, and as for your now-chronic misspelling of Jialing, surely also meant in jest but still nonetheless a bit offensive to those of us who own Jialings and work hard to love them, and generally still regard them as a high-water mark in China's too-slow march toward better quality, if you'd spelled the name correctly in advanced search you'd not be so surprised to learn that Jialing does indeed make a quite respectable enduro, though it's a 150 not a 250. In fact, the JH150GY-3 is owned and loved by quite a few MCM members, a few of whom have posted generously in these pages about wonderful epic journeys across western China where the little bike just gave and gave, albeit with sufficient TLC from their owners. It would be a shame if you missed these threads, since that might be just the little runabout you are looking for. It brought those guys not just hours of entertainment, but days and even weeks and years.

Jialing does make 250cc bikes, but I don't believe I've ever seen one in China. You'll find posts (again, through advanced search) from MCM members in Africa who understandably beat the shit out of them over there, and grow to love them for the way they hold up.

Thanks for your understanding!
    Cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 01-24-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Ok I,ll bite.
    The shineray X2 might look a bit rough,I assume you are talking about the stickers.
    Pffffft to the stickers i reckon.It has a gem of an engine, good suspension, not ohlins or white power but better than any other bike from China.

Its a dirt bike so its going to get covered in , well, dirt i guess.
    We can be sure it weighs more than it,s claimed to weigh, but it isn,t very heavy

Its damm uncomfortable to ride all day and its too noisy..

Is it worth the extra money over the other options?
    Hell yes it is.

Is there a better 250 dirt bike available from China?

I dont think so , your opinions may vary.

FYI. mine just clocked up 9000km might be time to give it a wash...

7. #17 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Euphonious...thanks for your kind words. I don't think flyingtiger was dissing my reply, I think he was just disappointed that the options are so limited.

MJH... QQ is a clusterfuck, plain and simple. You're far too considerate with your assessment. It's depressing, as they have so much potential and the QM250 has been tweaked into a delightful motard.

Zhu... very passionate response about the X2, I agree with many of your thoughts, but wonder how much time you have spent on a TGR. The suspension is almost identical to the X2, and being that the TGR is at least 15-20 kilos lighter, I think it handles better. Given that I've clocked a fair bit of time on both bikes, I really think it's tough to justify the extra ¥5,000. If it's your main bike, hands down, X2 is the better choice. But if you're looking for a weekend thumper for bashing through the jungle, the ¥5,000 saved and 15-20 kilo advantage of the TGR is tough to beat. I would also note that the X2 has way more top end power while the TGR pulls like a tractor down low. You're not going to get more than 80km/h out of the TGR before your teeth fall out, but it will climb a wall in first gear. Neither bike is remotely comfortable.

flyingtiger... I think you know where this is headed, you're never going to get what you want. TIC and you get what there is and make the best of it.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #18 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    China V .... seems like some sort of competitive event would be in order then.
    a drag race
    a top gear roll on (I,ll concede that now)
    a hill climb, sealed
    a hill climb ,dirt
    a bit of a ride around on the road , just 300km or so
    a few dirt tracks here and there
    a bit of kart track motarding
    a bit of mx tracking
    a weigh in (probably concede this too)
    concours de elegance..yeah just kidding on that one

Sound like a good weekend?
    Last edited by zhu; 01-24-2013 at 04:50 AM.

9. #19 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    Ok I,ll bite.
    The shineray X2 might look a bit rough,I assume you are talking about the stickers.
    Pffffft to the stickers i reckon.It has a gem of an engine, good suspension, not ohlins or white power but better than any other bike from China.

Its a dirt bike so its going to get covered in , well, dirt i guess.
    We can be sure it weighs more than it,s claimed to weigh, but it isn,t very heavy

Its damm uncomfortable to ride all day and its too noisy..

Is it worth the extra money over the other options?
    Hell yes it is.

Is there a better 250 dirt bike available from China?

I dont think so , your opinions may vary.

FYI. mine just clocked up 9000km might be time to give it a wash...
    shinray.jpg

at the Shinray factory... by "rough" I mean the metal finishing on the frame and other parts...like shfit and brake levers at your feet etc... but again...its a $20k bike....without side bags...the 250 is a good engine size but i have been to the Canton Fair in GZ twice and i have seen better bikes..most at the fair are for export... Im hoping CFmoto builds a dual sport damn soon.
    shinray1.jpg

10. #20 Re: Galaxy TGR 250, Qingqi Liger, or Shineray X2? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    Im hoping CFmoto builds a dual sport damn soon.
    Is CFMoto planning a 250cc enduro? Everything that's been reported in MCM suggests the CFMoto dual sport -- if it ever comes -- will use the same 650cc EFI twin as the 650NK and 650TR. Welcome competition to the JH600, the Benelli/Qjiang 600 and the Loncin 650, if it ever emerges from the vapors.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast