Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    C-Moto Regular
    Gonna order this or the A version with the standard forks next week. I much prefer the springer front end, but I really need rider input on this version about the ride and any mechanical problems with the springer forks.

2. #2 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    I'd go back and post in Barnone's thread, that noob doesn't own it.
    I know for a fact ur concerns were addressed there, I had lots of questions about handling when I first got my springer, questions were asked.

BTW, there aren't any 'problems' with the springer that I'm aware
    Its a simpler system than oil forks so if anything the should hold up over time just as well or better.
    Chinese chrome isn't known to be the greatest, but nothing on either vmodel is. I keep mine out of the rain, that alone keeps it as new as the day it arrived.

But I have a feeling u might be more concerned with the ride. Well, its a hard tail springer, don't expect anything that handles any better.
    You feel everything and should be aware of the road. Takes getting used to.
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

3. #3 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thank-you for your response. I am concerned a little about the ride but this, like most Chinese bikes/scooters, is more hobby than transportation. With that said, and this being a new release, I was more concerned about issues with the springer front end. You're sure right about the chrome. I looked at the warranty on a trike I had interest in, and the chrome was warranted for only 10 days. Hate the z-bars, but that rise makes it a little easier to add short apes without trying to find cables and hoses. As for the noob, I just figured he was an only child, but why disrepect the rest of the forum by getting into a rucus. Really, after over 500 posts the thread is: 1) check the chain and valves. 2) Install a 35t sprocket. 3) Maybe: swap jets, fix the headlight, or replace the shift rod. That is a very positive statement as to the quality of these bikes. So is there a thread started that deals with the springer? Again, thanks for your input.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Roadkill; 12-29-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Off topic photo

4. #4 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    There is no thread about the springer specifically, just my posts in that thread. I was pretty disappointed at first as I only rode sportbikes prior, but then i supposed i got used to the ride and am pleased with the bike.
    I liked the ape zbars , I liked the springer so it was an easy choice for me at the time
    I needed an intro to bobbers, but that said I got tired with the lack of power 1000 miles in and now building a new one from scratch . the doner bike is not a springer but wish it was.

These springers I believe are DNA, so I think u can read about them elsewhere, about 400$ plus break hardware if u want it later

5. #5 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for the input. Leaning towards the springer, but the $300 premium would pay for the stuff I want to do. Tx treats bikers very well as we are required to have neither fenders, turn signals or helmets. Do you have problems riding without that front fender? I've been told that I'll throw rocks and such into the engine.
    Never been on a sportbike, but I can imagine that the transition to almost any other style would be a lirrle "tame" My last was a 97 Valk. Quick as almost any thing out there.

6. #6 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    No problem regarding the lack of front fender, then again I only ride on clean paved dry roads. And the one time I got caught in the rain, I only noticed a wet back from my chopped rear fender than any thing from lack of front.

Ultimately I believe the only thing u might not be satisfied with is the massive lack of power even over the underwhelming handling.

7. #7 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    C-Moto Regular
    Lack of power will be OK cause I ride in town and rarely see fifty. Does confuse me a little because my wife has a little 150 Chinese scooter that has no trouble with 60mph indicated. I have a 150 trike that doesn't mind 60 at all. Both use the 157 QMJ honda clone. All of my scooters have upgraded CDI, coil, plug, an hi-flo fuel pumps. The trike has those mods except it now has no fuel pump, a gravity fed early sportster tank and gravity feed 1/4 inch lines with a high fuel flow filter. The fuel line/filter is something I'n going to explore on the bike.

I will order the chopper Fri, but still not sure if the springer is worth the extra bucks. I'm kinda old so the idea of a hardtail springer just sets well with me. You seem to be one of the few who one one. This will be just something to ride in the country and mess with when I retire in next summer.

Looked up DNA springer reviews. Most are using on sporsters and up Harleys and are not happy, but a little 229 cc bike won't impose nearly the stress. Commom complaint was that the springer rattled. Does yours?

8. #8 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    Lack of power will be OK cause I ride in town and rarely see fifty. Does confuse me a little because my wife has a little 150 Chinese scooter that has no trouble with 60mph indicated. I have a 150 trike that doesn't mind 60 at all. Both use the 157 QMJ honda clone. All of my scooters have upgraded CDI, coil, plug, an hi-flo fuel pumps. The trike has those mods except it now has no fuel pump, a gravity fed early sportster tank and gravity feed 1/4 inch lines with a high fuel flow filter. The fuel line/filter is something I'n going to explore on the bike.

I will order the chopper Fri, but still not sure if the springer is worth the extra bucks. I'm kinda old so the idea of a hardtail springer just sets well with me. You seem to be one of the few who one one. This will be just something to ride in the country and mess with when I retire in next summer.

Looked up DNA springer reviews. Most are using on sporsters and up Harleys and are not happy, but a little 229 cc bike won't impose nearly the stress. Commom complaint was that the springer rattled. Does yours?
    No rattle, its solid in that regard. My only gripe is that it is that it acts like a set of springs, obviously...
    So when your riding and you hit a seeming inconspicuous bump in the road, one that you wouldn't normally even notice, you will notice.
    Or in the worst case you have taken your hand off a grip for whatever reason and you hit a bump, or worse a big bump, its real unsettling in the split second everything shakes and you fear your going to lose handle...
    Ive never rode another so I wouldn't know if any other is any better.

Keep digging and you find a dampener system that attaches to these springers
    http://tinyurl.com/oxmne9o
    now you have a complete shock absorbers... cant say well it actually works though i would like to try.

seems like your call comes down to the cost and ride against aesthetics.

i dont know what is the deal with the 167fmm engines as compared to other honda clones but your not likely to get anything more out of it.
    there are no performance upgrades available. im set to deck and port my head, which im now doing on my LS650, with its big bore and quad valves i see the value it could add, but even this extreme on the tiny 167fmm, i dont see the gain.
    but if you find the magic do let us know.
    Last edited by axa; 01-01-2014 at 03:11 AM.

9. #9 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    C-Moto Regular
    Well, a last min change of heart. I have decided to order a scooter! No where near the cool factor, but it is 257cc water cooled and fuel injected. Hydraulic lifters and will do close to 80. Except for routine PM and the PDI, I shouldn't have to get under the plastic much and I do grow weary of wrenching from time to time. It's a BMS 260cc Scooter Type TBX EFI. I do thank you for all your input.

10. #10 Re: Dong Fang Chooper - Springer 
    WOW!, big change of direction.
    Last edited by barnone; 01-05-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast