Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    Ok, so new to the forums here and have done some reading, but as usual China is a confusing place despite 2.5 years of living here. I am in the process of obtaining my drivers license for BOTH a car & bike...bike first as it will be a year or two before I buy a car. For the past few weeks I have been looking over the local bike shops in my small town (Xiaolan) and what my friends have told me, and what I see conflict (no big surprises)

My problem (ego related) is that I desire a real sport bike like a Yamaha YZF or similar ride with at least a 600cc. EVERYONE tells me, NO you cannot have anything more than a 250 and even then its difficult to get a license for it because of cc restrictions of 150cc for most bikes. However a few shops here have models with 250cc (Honda - Yamaha) and they are ok if that is all I can get. However last night as I was cruising around on my demasculating little scooter I saw a show that sells Benelli Sports bikes and MUCH to surprise was not one, but 3 of them with 2 having around 899cc and one behemoth with 1130cc...the laoban (boss man) tells me they are fully licensed for use in China and even has a payment program...not that I desire a 62,000 rmb bike...ok, so that was a lie I do want it, just cant afford it.

So, whats the deal...are there Yamaha dealers that can get me (or have) a 600cc ride like what I would expect in the US? Or am I stuck with a 250cc Chinese ride with at best a Lifan (Honda) motor?

2. #2 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    Banned
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/search.php as the topics have been discussed over and over and over and over.....

3. #3 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    as the topics have been discussed over and over and over and over.....
    Understandably, and I have read many of the threads on the subject. Since I provided my location..which truly matters in China I was hoping that somebody had some "Specifics" in the Zhongshan region.

4. #4 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yeah OP, as TB-Racing has stated, the search window is your friend. But I will just advise you that there are absolutely bikes both imported through legal means above 250cc and there are some manufacturers in China pumping out bikes 600cc+.
    Search CFMoto 650NK, 650TR, Benelli BJ600, Jialing JH600, Loncin 650LX (I think) for starters... there are a few others. That is not to mention the likes or Harley Davidson, BMW, Ducati and others who have a presence and importing bikes into mainland China legally through official distributors.

I'd suggest you to take a look in the different categories under the "Market Place" of the forums, like; http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/fo...and-Discussion
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/fo...d-Distributors
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/fo...s-from-Dealers

These will get you started.
    Be warned though that there are also 250cc+ bikes imported through illegal channels, that form the grey market and the prices are often equivalent or similar to the new MSRP (USA) without any multiplication. The prices on the bikes you have outlined in your OP would suggest to me that the bikes you have looked at are anything but legal. This will present problems concerning legal plating and insurance, despite the reassurances of what that Laoban tells you. Mate you will learn quickly here, the locals will frequently tell you anything you want to hear, just to get that moolah out of your wallet/pocket.

As long as you have a Chinese drivers license, the right visa or authority to work and live in China, are registered with the PSB etc, and provided plating a motorcycle is not forbidden in the town you are residing in, then you should be good to go. Caveat pre-emptor, many parts of China now require anyone who plates a vehicle to do so under a Chinese name (that means YOUR chosen Chinese name), though some still allow plating/ownership under your foreign name. It does NOT mean that a motorcycle has to be under some other Chinese persons name. If the Laoban who you mentioned tells you (if you were to think of asking) that the bike has to be plated under some other persons name, just because it has to be under a Chinese name, then that Laoban is either selling you;
    (a). a less than legal bike or
    (b). he thinks it is ether too complicated to get the bike plated under your (Chinese/foreign) name & therefore easier to do so under a Chinese name, or
    (c). he/she is just being too lazy.
    (d). (a)+(b)+(c).
    (e). some places/shops offer a type of service, where a 100% legal bike is plated under a Chinese persons name (not yours - though you supposedly retain ownership), for a fee, but the shop keeps the fapiao or doesn't issue one. Be very careful with this type of service... when it comes time to on-sell your bike, you can find the process to be less than ideal. This happened recently with a owner of a JH600, which is 100% legal in China (it's made by Jialing a Chinese motorcycle manufacturer in Chongqing).

The other complication can be that China is full of mini empires... it is one country, but many little kingdoms (kingdOOm), and not everything that applies in one place will apply in another. Some places have bans on motorcycles completely, some have motorcycle restrictions and some have no discrimination on motorcycles at all. This means in some places motorcycle plates may or may not be available or issued depending on what by-laws are in place for any given area, zone, town, city, district etc.

So there is a lot to learn and know, - use the search function and be prepared to sit down for some time to digest the collective knowledge within.

Oh, yeah gidday and welcome!
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 02-01-2013 at 10:33 AM.

5. #5 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    A quick rule of thumb when working out if a bike is likely to be legal or not... find out the NEW MSRP of the same bike in an overseas market (I use the USA market for this most of the time) then multiply that MSRP by two... then convert the currency (e.g. from US$ to CNY) and this will give you the MINIMUM price that the bike should be, in most circumstances. Often though the MSRP can be multiplied by three to really get an indication of the likely PRC MSRP at a dealer in mainland China. Based on this basic arithmetic those 3 bikes you mention are HIGHLY LIKELY to be anything but legal. Just sayin...
    So if you think that Laoban's prices were like day light robbery, please sit down for the prices you will be entertaining on any legally imported bike above 250cc here.

6. #6 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Advanced search is your friend, as TB-Racing recommended.

Zhongshan is in the motorcycle-averse Pearl River Delta, so the cards are probably a bit stacked against you. You'll have to find local details. But:
    --there is no national rule restricting bikes to 250cc or less
    --there is no such thing as a "motorcycle license". There is only a car license (Class C1) to which you add a motorcycle endorsement (C1E car+solo bike, C1D car+solo bike+sidecar)
    --there are no particular restrictions against (or in favor of) foreigners getting licenses, but you do have to meet legal residency requirements
    --there are at least three Chinese-made bikes in the 600cc class (CFMoto, Benelli/Qianjiang, Jialing) and soon a fourth (Loncin)
    --there are many international "big bikes" available in China, but not all are here "legally" or registrable. Do not just take someone's word for it. Harley, Ducati, Benelli, and BMW have legal distributors in China, and you'll pay through the nose. Suzuki and Honda and maybe Yamaha have some limited imports. Kawasaki seems not. If a bike is surprisingly affordable, it's too good to be true.

Again, there's nothing special about Zhongshan with respect to the main questions you are asking, so dig into MCM with advanced search and educate yourself.

Edit: +1 everything that Bikerdoc said.
    Last edited by euphonius; 02-01-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    A quick rule of thumb when working out if a bike is likely to be legal or not... find out the NEW MSRP of the same bike in an overseas market (I use the USA market for this most of the time) then multiply that MSRP by two... then convert the currency (e.g. from US$ to CNY) and this will give you the MINIMUM price that the bike should be, in most circumstances. Often though the MSRP can be multiplied by three to really get an indication of the likely PRC MSRP at a dealer in mainland China. Based on this basic arithmetic those 3 bikes you mention are HIGHLY LIKELY to be anything but legal. Just sayin...
    So if you think that Laoban's prices were like day light robbery, please sit down for the prices you will be entertaining on any legally imported bike above 250cc here.
    I find bikes and cars are far cheaper in the UNited States than any other country.
    i have a CFmoto 650...no problem licensing motorcycle made near Hangzhou....but in guilin...no foreigner has ever had a lic. plate in his name for a motorcycle..cars yes...crazy...
    i would love to buy a KTM for offroad riding...but havent found one here...and sure it will be crazy expensive.
    My Galaxy XTR250 continues to be a challenge ...today had to change the 'rectifier'...i think it called..battery not being charged while driving...third battery by the way......

8. #8 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    No.

​[It is Friday and all.]

9. #9 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    I appreciate the direct feedback, certainly the issue of bike prices is a common sense matter as it is almost a requirement that ANYTHING not made in China will cost more than it does in the country where its made...got several pairs of Levis jeans on a trip back to the US last December, only 135rmb in the US...700rmb in China...the wife was pleased.

That said, I am living in China and my wife is Chinese. Xiaolan is a very wealthy small town and I am well known by the local police...mostly because of my insane MTB observed trials over virtually everything in town. I have chosen to get a bike now that I have recently received my residence permit, of course the wife wants a car (who doesn't) and want to do some traveling as we look for a place to build a home, because 1) Chinese homes suck (cold concrete) 2) I don't want 4 floors and 20 family members living with me. 3) I want my "indoor plumbing" not to be merely indoors, but not visible from inside my home.

I am content with a Chinese made bike and the Binelli bike I saw was nice, but was under the impression that this was a British bike. Not that it truly matters to me, I just want a wee bit more power and a 250cc just does not really get it for me...but as usual in China, you often must compromise and I have seen a water cooled 250 that appeared to be well made.

A friend who owns an English school here is often my source to help me deal with the myriad of gvt confusion and often the first problem is simply finding the right information and the correct office(s) to go to. Thankfully Xiaolan is a fairly well managed town and the gvt here is often very helpful, but has to defer me to Zhongshan where I am just another laowai who does not understand the rules of being endlessly mislead for shits & giggles.

10. #10 Re: Big Bike Motor Sizes In China 
    (e). some places/shops offer a type of service, where a 100% legal bike is plated under a Chinese persons name (not yours - though you supposedly retain ownership), for a fee, but the shop keeps the fapiao or doesn't issue one. Be very careful with this type of service... when it comes time to on-sell your bike, you can find the process to be less than ideal. This happened recently with a owner of a JH600, which is 100% legal in China (it's made by Jialing a Chinese motorcycle manufacturer in Chongqing).
    Ya, seen several of these already. When a shop says its no problem, I look with suspicion. I mean they don't even bother to ask about my Visa, if I even have a license or anything...but its not a problem.... No paperwork, no deal.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast