Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I did plan to get YBR125G but 125cc is a bit small. On my last trip i missed a bit of power.
    I went to my local yamaha dealer and they said they can 250 for me (they only have 125 there). Registration and basic insurance is RMB3000, is this normal price? I have no idea and dont want to be ripped off.

2. #22 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Registration and basic insurance is RMB3000, is this normal price? I have no idea and dont want to be ripped off.
    Of course you're getting ripped off, that's why you need a Chinese girlfriend or wife. Every province and town is different when it comes to registration costs, so I can only tell you that the last 250 I registered in Guangdong was about 2300 with insurance. Since the YBR is a lot more expensive, 3K sounds OK.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #23 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Speaking of the YBR125, I saw the latest version yesterday in Yang Jie's shop in Shanghai. Oddly, he said it's still carbureted yet street legal. Beautiful bike. Here's a low-light, space-constrained phone image:

yammie125.jpg

Yang also has what I think is a CB1000R, which I photographed through the window to marginal effect. He's asking just under 200k RMB for it. And it's legal.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Speaking of the YBR125, I saw the latest version yesterday in Yang Jie's shop in Shanghai. Oddly, he said it's still carbureted yet street legal.
    I haven't figured out the carb/EFI situation, either. Post 2008, the YBR125s exported to Europe are EFI, but the ones sold in China are still carb.

Although I am having bad luck with 10th Anniversary bikes (sigh), Yamaha has just issued one for its YBR125 (2013):

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/pr...detail_21.html

If I see one at Qili, I'll probably buy it. I'm a sucker for Anniversary bikes, and I am a fan of these 125s. BTW, my red YBR125K sold (full price) within 2 hours of being posted online in local Chinese classifieds - they have a serious following here - or maybe it was due to the A plate craziness.

5. #25 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Back on the YBR250, our clubhouse just purchased its first hydraulic lift. We already have pretty much everything else (but no painting!), and I'm debating on whether to move a dyno I have from down south to up here. Anyways, once ChinaV or Felix or Franki (or some similar ADV expert) decides that Beijing's lifestyle is irresistible (again, clean air, zero traffic & pretty girls), I'll be doing a YBR250 ADV conversion - been thinking about it for a while, just never had the proper shop space in Beijing.

6. #26 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Of course you're getting ripped off, that's why you need a Chinese girlfriend or wife. Every province and town is different when it comes to registration costs, so I can only tell you that the last 250 I registered in Guangdong was about 2300 with insurance. Since the YBR is a lot more expensive, 3K sounds OK.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Lic and reg are not much at all. the expense is the tax! which varies and depends on what price is on the receipt. my first bike receipt was two..fold....one price for the bike and another for 'extra parts'...which was about half and half of what i paid for the bike...the parts receipt listed many things that came on the bike..no i did not have a bag of parts..they do this as a practice to help curb the cost of the tax.....my second,,much more expensive moto was somewhat reduced receipt..as the tax department might of questions low price for a big bike....
    anyway when you lic the bike you will be given the receipts for all expensives so you are not likely to be ripped off unless you use an agent who adds extra costs.

7. #27 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks!
    Well Ill be getting YBR250 when Ill have my license, which may take bloody ages............

btw, will the YBR's EFI work well in high altitude?
    Last edited by modron; 02-06-2013 at 02:47 PM.

8. #28 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Thanks!
    Well Ill be getting YBR250 when Ill have my license, which may take bloody ages............

btw, will the YBR's EFI work well in high altitude?
    Good choice that YBR250. Rock solid machine. The EFI automatically adjusts for altitude. Whereas with a carburetor you need to use smaller jets to allow for less oxygen, so mountain riding the YBR250 makes much more sense than the YBR125. I heard a rumor that Yamaha had stopped selling the YBR250 in China so then there is the Suzuki GW250.

I had a ride on a YBR250, and one of the only things I really disliked was the handlebar which seemed to me to be very 'urban commuter'.
    0000-Renthal-Fatbar-1-1-8-Oversized-Handlebars.jpg
    Could I recommend a Renthal Fatbar? $71.99

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123