Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi,

I was looking for a reliable touring Chinese bike (cos i have no mechanic skills) for some time and i couldnt find any. There are a lot of bikes with mixed reviews and opinions.
    Yamaha YBR 250 has great reviews but its a street bike but i was looking at Suzuki V-Strom which is a great adventure bike and it simply is a street bike with big windshield and bigger fork travel distance (and some other wee things;)

I figured i could change front suspension to a enduro one, and that would increase the clearance as well. I said that i have no mechanic skills so before i buy the bike and decide to go on with this project i wanted to ask someone more clever than me. How hard is it going to be to find the right forks (where to find them...any suggestions?) Im guessing the biggest problem will be with fitting the brakes, if i want to keep original wheels which i do cos of the cost
    do you think that its worth doing or i should just drop it?
    Frame also looks good for mounting skid plate.

I have no experience in modifying bikes but there is always the first time ;)

2. #2 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Banned
    no basic mechanical skills or knowledge = forget about it, just picture the whole scenario as it seems you have no access to a machine shop and tools or mates that could assist in extensive bike modifications as it's most probably not a plug and play parts swap and might cost you more $$$$'s in the end compared to a decent dual-sport / enduro type bike purchase in the first place..... your $$$$'s = your call.

ps: reviews and opinions are like arseh#les, everyone has one.....

3. #3 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    i do have an access to a machine shop cos my good friends father is a bike mechanic. He could help me out i recon.

in the end compared to a decent dual-sport / enduro type bike purchase in the first place
    what do you have in mind? i dont want to go over 400cc

4. #4 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    what do you have in mind? i dont want to go over 400cc
    no idea to be honest as I have no interest in the smaller MIC bikes <400cc (not because of engine displacement but they are mostly tiny machines in size).
    reckon the guys have discussed and given opinions / reviews about a broad selection of MIC <400cc bikes and a search should show results.

ps: by machine shop I mean a proper metal workshop equipped with mill / lathe / drill / saw / CNC / etc... and someone who knows how to operate the equipment properly to fabricate parts like spacers, etc..etc.... not your China hole in the wall motorbike shop equipped with just a big hammer and two screwdrivers.....

5. #5 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    fair enough about the workshop, I didnt realize that it will be such a difficult task.

I had few ideas about Chinese dual-sport bikes but than went through search and now Im confused and worried about buying one in fear of it breaking in the middle of nowhere

6. #6 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Banned
    I had few ideas about Chinese dual-sport bikes but than went through search and now Im confused and worried about buying one in fear of it breaking in the middle of nowhere
    might be better to stay home.... because if you don't try you will never know...... safe travels!!!

7. #7 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    might be better to stay home.... because if you don't try you will never know...... safe travels!!!
    Yeah, and something will break if you go do a long trip no matter what bike you have.

8. #8 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    dont be like this people, i just asked a question cos you have more experience in those things.

I know that any bike can brake but if i buy good make it will be less likely to do so. I rode 125cc for 14000km in latin america and never had any problems with it so i know that its possible.
    Anyway, riding is not a purpose of a trip for me (i know for most of you is) i get my buzz from seeing and experiencing new places and a motorcycle is simply a tool to help me with it........a bit different point of view......dont hate me for it ;)

9. #9 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    dont be like this people, i just asked a question cos you have more experience in those things.

I know that any bike can brake but if i buy good make it will be less likely to do so. I rode 125cc for 14000km in latin america and never had any problems with it so i know that its possible.
    Anyway, riding is not a purpose of a trip for me (i know for most of you is) i get my buzz from seeing and experiencing new places and a motorcycle is simply a tool to help me with it........a bit different point of view......dont hate me for it ;)

For me it is the whole experience. Seeing new places, seeing new people, getting time to think about life, and enjoying the easy and effortless down to earth freedom only travelling by motorcycle can give to you.

Anyway, I recommend you read excellent travelling reports here. After that get whatever bike you fancy and hit the road.

10. #10 Re: Yamaha YBR250 to an adventure/tour bike 
    i propose to get some technical knowledge first. In your case i had bought a super cheap crappy 250cc and rip it to pieces to see how it works. Then read a lot, get some suitable tools and repair and reassemble it. See how it works. Mechanical things are not too difficult if you understand parts function and correlations. Most headache for me are electrical issues all time.
    Currently i am looking a bit closer at the Shineray X5 400cc. I am thinking about to buy one to have a lightweight bike for discover the bad roads in BJ region. If its reliable i will consider longer trips.
    From a German friends who owns a motorcycle repair shop in Germany i learnt that Shinerays over there are acceptable quality now. Not on japanese level but at least acceptable.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast