Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Social media access 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys, we've just arrived in China for a moto trip. Looking forward to covering the trip and sharing it with the forum and on social media. Can anyone please forward ideas on how to access FB, YouTube and the like in China? PM or reply if you could,thanks

2. #2 Re: Social media access 
    They go through some virtual private networks, basically you are just a remote client inside of china all they see is your mouse clicks on that side and keys strokes, the actual browser is remote. http://www.voanews.com/content/china...p/1565249.html

But they are cracking down….

3. #3 Re: Social media access 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey Jonvdh. Firstly welcome aboard the cRaZzy ship called Ch!na. Hope you adjust ok to the low temps here compared to the heat and temps of WA. Ne're mind, that will be the least of worries I suspect. Please do share your adventures here, as you will find (if you haven't already) that all the "western" social media sites are blocked and even with V p N's it can be a bit of a mouse game with the proverbial IT brigade attempting to sniff out and block any attempts to overcome the GFW. The government here has their own Ch!nese version of all the "western" social media offerings you have mentioned, but the powers that be seemingly monitor them pretty closely.
    There are a few other ways to deal with prox-ies but that can be a David and Goliath gong-show too. You could also put together a thread on a site like the HUBB (Horizons Unlimited) or ADVrider and then link it here...

Just be careful and sensitive to certain terms and words used here and within sites located/used on servers inside Ch!na. In which case you might like use a symbol or what not to alternatively spell sensitive words that the GFW test trawlers might otherwise sniff out.

So for the sake of those of us stuck on this side of the iron curtain, this thread is worthless without (your) photos!

Looking forward to them...

4. #4 Re: Social media access 
    Ok to translate Bikerdoc post. You need a V P N > If you haven't left OZ yet get one there it will be harder getting one in China.Be careful what you say in China certain words are sensitive ie the Big T and certain people all the sites you mentioned are blocked in China. No offence but do do your research before heading to countries you want to travel through/in.

5. #5 Re: Social media access 
    I have been pleased with Strong VPN service (link removed) which now has an idiot proof installer and even lets you alter your VPN server to different locations for either best speed, or local services such as internet TV. Prices vary depending on the package, but a solid & SECURE connection is worth any price and often you will find your browser speeds improved especially when using ANY Google services. Best yet, it even works on you smartphone such as Android.
    Last edited by Lain; 02-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.

6. #6 Re: Social media access 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonvdh View Post
    Hey guys, we've just arrived in China for a moto trip. Looking forward to covering the trip and sharing it with the forum and on social media. Can anyone please forward ideas on how to access FB, YouTube and the like in China? PM or reply if you could,thanks
    where are you in china? and where will you go?

7. #7 Re: Social media access 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    yep, a V p N would be an essential purchase requirement/decision, just do it before you get into China otherwise you might not be able to view even the link mentioned above... and Lain, you might like to consider editing your post just to change up the link a little... (which isn't working/accessible via Ch!na T3L3COM) just so the Ch!nese GFW bots don't hit on the link in this thread. Big brother does know what gets written about... which is why I make a conscious effort to amend my spelling with appropriate use of wild cards for sensitive key words. Just sayin

8. #8 Re: Social media access 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    yep, a V p N would be an essential purchase requirement/decision, just do it before you get into China otherwise you might not be able to view even the link mentioned above... and Lain, you might like to consider editing your post just to change up the link a little... (which isn't working/accessible via Ch!na T3L3COM) just so the Ch!nese GFW bots don't hit on the link in this thread. Big brother does know what gets written about... which is why I make a conscious effort to amend my spelling with appropriate use of wild cards for sensitive key words. Just sayin
    With the exception completely removing the link, altering its visible text will do nothing to alter your concept of "bots" , which follow the URL no matter how its linked. You could (and should) create a robots.txt file to disallow most bots such as Baidu which is actually an annoyance more than anything. Also there is code that can quickly be inserted into your site that would create a robots no-follow directive for all links made in the forums, which would be a useful way to increase your SEO.

My companies are completely internet based and I operate 16 websites on 2 servers and this is something I do speak from experience about, 12 years now. trying to type in "code" such as "V p N" is useless. VPN services are legal in China for expats and even things like my satellite TV from the US is all good. Given the context of these forums, which is to promote & support Chinese exported products I can hardly see any reason for your slight paranoia. However, as I am the guest I will remove the link from my post.

9. #9 Re: Social media access 
    I am not very sure how long you are here, does not matter.
    Last year I planned a trip to Qinhhai Plateau, Thomas called me, hey love, what are you doing? I told him. My China Mobile phone was shut down 3 times during this conversation. This was not the first time something similar happened to me the last 7 years.

10. #10 Re: Social media access 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    I am not very sure how long you are here, does not matter.
    Last year I planned a trip to Qinhhai Plateau, Thomas called me, hey love, what are you doing? I told him. My China Mobile phone was shut down 3 times during this conversation. This was not the first time something similar happened to me the last 7 years.
    I have been living here for 2.5 years, and I expect to live here for the remainder of my life, unless the wife says otherwise. I do know that some regions of China have different restrictions at play, and as to be expected communications are..well, "managed" However I have already traveled extensively and have yet to have my phone disconnected. That being said, have not been to Tibet yet, where I would expect such activity.

However, this might be due to the fact that its NOT a Chinese phone, (Google Nexus) I use VPN on the phone as well as all of my computers and when I have a WIFI spot, I often switch to my Vonage App that routes the calls over encrypted internet connections....allows me to call back to the US for FREE! (it won't work on a Chinese phone) I also use a VOIP at my home, calls are secured with my SSL router.

Maybe I am also just as paranoid, but being a techie I guess I'm just more prepared than most and don't notice these things.... , except for the people that appear behind me at KTV when I update my FB account with pics I just took, that never ceases to amaze me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast