Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Social media access 
    Whoa Lain, please stop with the blah blah. Mentioning things starting with V and T often unnecessarily can and will get our DNS blocked. The Chinese govt don't even use bots.

2. #12 Re: Social media access 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Whoa Lain, please stop with the blah blah. Mentioning things starting with V and T often unnecessarily can and will get our DNS blocked. The Chinese govt don't even use bots.
    OK, so I am new to this site, but for goodness sake your assertions of being blocked are WAY over the top. I have been operating my own servers and more than 16 websites for over a decade and have intimate experience with how the censorship.firewall system works. You are 10 times more self censored than ANY of my Chinese friends who regularly use such words in their QQ and Weibo accounts INSIDE of China, which do not get removed, filtered or even have their accounts closed.

Furthermore, as stated having a "V" is NOT illegal for foreigners and its certainly NOT anything that advising another (non Chinese) person wishing to travel here to get would even be grounds for such things as having your sites IP not its DNS blocked. With all due respect, your seriously paranoid about how & why sites get blocked in China....and yes, they do use bots to scan the web because even the 30,000+ MPS people employed to scan the web cannot do it all manually. At worst the automated filters will result in a drop a connection due to a number of keywords that are packet sniffed, but this website hardly rises to the level of filtering that say the western news outlets do.

Do yourself a favor, read up here a bit before going off the deep end about getting blocked.. Blocked Info. There are now there are 644 million active websites on the Internet, of which less than 20,000 are blocked globally. Your chances of getting blocked for a few "key words" used in a completely harmless manner are less than like 0.00002%. Your more likely to win the Nobel prize & get struck by lightning on the same day than to get this site blocked for a few harmless comments.

Chastise me if you will, but really folks...I speak from experience and your seriously off the mark on this matter. IF its a serious issue, I am sure the moderator will remove/replace any such words with ones deemed acceptable. Nowhere I have I read anything about this in the forums very brief set of rules. As I mentioned in another post, this site actively PROMOTES Chinese commerce, it will not be censored because somebody talked about....oh, god forbid making a phone call from "that place" in China.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

3. #13 Re: Social media access 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lain View Post
    OK, so I am new to this site, but for goodness sake your assertions of being blocked are WAY over the top. I have been operating my own servers and more than 16 websites for over a decade and have intimate experience with how the censorship.firewall system works. You are 10 times more self censored than ANY of my Chinese friends who regularly use such words in their QQ and Weibo accounts INSIDE of China, which do not get removed, filtered or even have their accounts closed.

Furthermore, as stated having a "V" is NOT illegal for foreigners and its certainly NOT anything that advising another (non Chinese) person wishing to travel here to get would even be grounds for such things as having your sites IP not its DNS blocked. With all due respect, your seriously paranoid about how & why sites get blocked in China....and yes, they do use bots to scan the web because even the 30,000+ MPS people employed to scan the web cannot do it all manually. At worst the automated filters will result in a drop a connection due to a number of keywords that are packet sniffed, but this website hardly rises to the level of filtering that say the western news outlets do.

Do yourself a favor, read up here a bit before going off the deep end about getting blocked.. Blocked Info. There are now there are 644 million active websites on the Internet, of which less than 20,000 are blocked globally. Your chances of getting blocked for a few "key words" used in a completely harmless manner are less than like 0.00002%. Your more likely to win the Nobel prize & get struck by lightning on the same day than to get this site blocked for a few harmless comments.

Chastise me if you will, but really folks...I speak from experience and your seriously off the mark on this matter. IF its a serious issue, I am sure the moderator will remove/replace any such words with ones deemed acceptable. Nowhere I have I read anything about this in the forums very brief set of rules. As I mentioned in another post, this site actively PROMOTES Chinese commerce, it will not be censored because somebody talked about....oh, god forbid making a phone call from "that place" in China.
    what's next? drum roll..... sales pitch trying to sell your service or forums....

4. #14 Re: Social media access 

Please just shut up. I asked nicely. I know you are 100% wrong but I'm not into a tech debate. All you need to know is that nobody wants those terms on this forum, so accept that, you won't win this argument.

Last edited by ZMC888; 02-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.

5. #15 Re: Social media access 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Please just shut up. I asked nicely. I know you are 100% wrong but I'm not into a tech debate. All you need to know is that nobody wants those terms on this forum, so accept that, you won't win this argument.
    Its not about winning any argument, just trying to educate you a bit...an effort I will no longer make as you have made it clear that its useless. While you at it, take a moment to edit your forums rules and tell members they must govern themselves according to Chinese Internet Censorship rules. Its one ting to be mindful of what is said pertaining sensitive topics, its another to be ignorant of reality and the facts.

Whatever mate, if it satisfies your ego I will respect your request...but ignore any concept that you have a clue about this matter.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

6. #16 Re: Social media access 
    I'd educate you, but I'd rather watch TV.

7. #17 Re: Social media access 
    Lain, you have been asked to be careful on this site. Please accept our wishes. We have been shut down more than 1 time. I dont care what was shut down, I/we want to have this site running.
    This is not a site made for commerce, promote chinese industry...... we are foreigners and guests in this country. We are suspects and carefully watched. We even dare to ride to remote country parts. So, please join in our group and with this, join in our rules.

8. #18 Re: Social media access 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Lain, you have been asked to be careful on this site. Please accept our wishes. We have been shut down more than 1 time. I dont care what was shut down, I/we want to have this site running.
    This is not a site made for commerce, promote chinese industry...... we are foreigners and guests in this country. We are suspects and carefully watched. We even dare to ride to remote country parts. So, please join in our group and with this, join in our rules.
    This matter has been addressed in a private chat, even though the site seems to fail in delivering my reply (blocked?)

However to address your assertion of "rules" I cannot follow site "rules" that are unpublished. Furthermore the "T" word that you all so paranoid about is used more than 3 times by the sites creator CrazyCarl in his own opening post about why he made this site. So I hardly took this "advice" as serious, since I do know better. Furthermore the same word yields over 100 posts, but I appear to be the first to get berated for its use.

I do not wish to jeopardize the site and will as I have stated refrain form using the unknown bad words from an unpublished set of rules. Its all good. I understand your concerns and will respect them. I suggested that in order to prevent any similar incidents the forums moderator may wish to make use of a simple, and built in forums bad word filter...while normally reserved for actual bad words it would allow the site to block/filter/replace words that are of concern to the site from any new, and even prior post. I am actually attempting to help on this fact. Its all good, so let it rest now.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

9. #19 Re: Social media access 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    It is just a matter of conforming judiciously to what the majority here want. Yes, perhaps the dreaded unmentionable place starting with the letter "T" has been mentioned a fair few times on this site, and no less than by the sites creator "CrazyCarl" - but do keep in mind that at different times, these places were not so sensitive a topic(s), and it might just be at these less sensitive times, that these words have been frivolously pontificated for all and sundry. Well times do change.
    I appreciate that from what I have read and what I know, that you likely know your IT stuff, and you are likely bang on the money in many respects, BUT there is no point to tempt fate my friend. And as to the insertion that satellite is legal for foreigners in mainland China, um nope it isn't. BUT it is tolerated for foreigners, much in the same way as many other aspects of life in China.
    I don't want to debate anything, BUT I can tell you that my wife's (Chinese) father (ex-s3cr3t p0lice - now retired) could certainly lift the veil on what you think you know, for it is not as it seems. It is not about paranoia, more like due diligence. That's all.

10. #20 Re: Social media access 
    Well, than as suggested the simple and most effective way to solve this matter is for the site admin to take at most, 2 minutes from his day and use the admin console to filter ANY words deemed unsuitable by the majority. Best part is that its FREE, requires no expertise and would filter all prior posts. I mean seriously is that so difficult? As I mentioned, I am offering up helpful advice for the sites....due diligence. Looks kind of like this below. Input once and forget it.

bad-words-header.jpg

Oh, and just for the record...after reading the first 20 pages of the TIC (this is china) forum, I am more than perplexed by the nature of this thread. Virtually every hot political topic was hit upon, and even linked to sites I know are banned.
    Last edited by Lain; 02-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast