Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 new rider in shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hey everyone,

i am Sandor from, Hungary. After a long break (time spent on building my family ;-) I returned to in 2011 august when i replaced my old R69 Beemer to a not too old 1150GSA. Last year in August we moved with my family to Shanghai for 2 years without my bike as the expected import duty was ca 8 usd after its each CC. So unfortunatelly after making 5000 km i had to stop riding it.

I am about to get legal (test is on 22/02: any help on the new test questions (in english) are welcome) and get a bike. I am thinking to buy a Galaxy xtr250 adv or a Shineray XY250GY-2 X2 enduro. As far as i could conclude the Galaxy has better price the Shineray has better performance (quality also???).
    i am planning to ride to work daily (ca 50km back and forth) in Minhang and some short trips countryside nearby Shanghai and next year end of summer i plan some week riding in China like modron.
    So i guess Galaxy could do his job during the coming 2 years. Do not hesitate if you feel to comment it!

I hope i will have some new riding mates from MCM to have fun together as there is a long way to ride here in China and to improve my riding skills as I am not a too much experienced dirt and chinese rider yet (i rode my wife's electrical and my bicycles in Shanghai till now only :-))

the bests, Sandor

2. #2 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    Szervusz Sandor.

Welcome to MCM!

Tell me, how do you survive in Shanghai without makos bejgli or a shot of palinka?

Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Szia Zorge!
    Örülök, hogy te ismersz néhány magyar finomságot!
    You touched something, one of the hardest part of being abroad is to miss home food (eg.: füstölt kolbász, szalonna , pacal pörkölt etc.), though i have no problem with the Chinese eat.
    but i miss кварк as well...

the bests, sandor

4. #4 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    ........... and I miss the Balaton and the small cafes in Budapest, and I miss this nice little Lady I painted togeter with last year March 8.

5. #5 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by sandor View Post
    Örülök, hogy te ismersz néhány magyar finomságot!
    Yes, I am familiar with Hungarian cuisine "in person", because it is not just Hungarian, but cuisine all of us who live in the Pannonian Plain.

You touched something, one of the hardest part of being abroad is to miss home food (eg.: füstölt kolbász, szalonna , pacal pörkölt etc.), though i have no problem with the Chinese eat.
    Oh, you're "meat person"!

but i miss кварк as well...
    Damn Google Translate!

What, you miss thаt Ferengi from Star Trek called Quark (in serbian cyrillic - Кварк)?

Perhaps you meant this?

Those are Чварци/Čvarci.

Yes, they are great together with sauerkraut. Great winter time breakfast.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

6. #6 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Re SabineHartmann
    ........... and I miss the Balaton and the small cafes in Budapest, and I miss this nice little Lady I painted togeter with last year March 8.
    I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Hungary!
    Indeed one can have a very pleasant time around Balaton and it is good to have some warm memories to remember during this not too friendly weather :-)

Re Zorge
    Oh, you're "meat person"!
    not only, i am a cheese lover as well...

Damn Google Translate!

What, you miss thаt Ferengi from Star Trek called Quark (in serbian cyrillic - Кварк)?

i meant quark as cottege-cheese (made from sheep milk), though i am not sure if it is a traditional Serbian food

Perhaps you meant this?
    Those are Чварци/Čvarci
    this is greaves. i like fresh warm greaves with fresh warm white bread, red onion, some salt and some dry white vine

7. #7 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    Welcome to Shanghai...

go with the Shineray, as Galaxy quality is China good but not as China good as the Shineray. Look into the Shineray 400cc model.

Winston
    Trick HD XL883 R, Jialing 600B, Chang Jiang 750,CF Moto 650 "G"TR, Sachs 125 Madass, Skyteam Ace 125 cafe racer and a Hong Du 250cc dirtbike

8. #8 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Sandor,

You want quark in Shanghai, you probably should think about making it yourself. I make life's three essential staples myself -- yogurt, bread and beer. These make the worst things in China tolerable. Sometimes.

Quark ain't that hard to make. I think I've seen German brands for sale in Taobao.

I'll be in Shanghai all this week and the first day or two of Spring Festival (then traveling to India -- warmth!). Perhaps we can gear up a (No-)Bike Night this weekend as our homebound hosts all head out into the weeklong nationwide traffic clusterf*ck, and drain some beer in honor of staying put.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hello Shanghaifiners,
    thanks for the greeting.
    i have read your test report on the xy400gy on MCM before. to me it looks the coolest chinese dual bike, but i am looking for a smaller and lighter one. do you know if a XY250GY-2 X2 enduro can be tested in that Knight Rider motorcycle shop? actually i would like to test both of them, what are the conditions for a test ride, do they speak english?
    the bests, sandor

10. #10 Re: new rider in shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello Euphonius,

You want quark in Shanghai, you probably should think about making it yourself. I make life's three essential staples myself -- yogurt, bread and beer
    Beer as well? Bread and yoghurt seems to be easy to me compared to beer. Where you get proper indigrents? Equipments from taobao?

as for Quark - thanks for the tip, i will check it out.

as for draining beer - good idea but this week-end is quite busy. Lets postpone it after your return.

the bests, Sandor