Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    The answer is simple. It depends on the weather.

By that I mean there's the law, then there's what's enforced - and this changes from region to region and from day to day. In Shanghai there was a fast-growing car modification scene about 2 years ago with many shops opened up to add kits to sports cars (both cosmetic and performance). Then there was a serious accident covered in the media and overnight these shops closed down. Now seems the car modifications are again on the rise, especially "flat paintjobs" - flatblack, flatpurple, flatbabyblue, flatpink....I'm so sick of flat (but do still think the JH600 would look good flatted out).

This past Summer, both Euphonius and I were both a bit concerned about our after-market exhausts, pannier racks, hand guards, etc. when it came time for inspection (I also have HIDs installed). We separately went for inspections (probably different inspectors) and both came out with clean renewals for another 2-years. So there you go. Depends on the weather.

* Edit: Forgot to mention my carbon fiber-taped handlebar ends!

DSCN0895.jpg

2. #22 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    And please be mindful of Section 3.....

Article 16 No units or individual shall do the following:

(1) assembling motor vehicles or altering the registered composition, structure or features of motor vehicles without authorization;

(2) changing the models of motor vehicles, their engine number, chassis number or the identification code of the vehicles;

(3) changing the structure or features of apparel articles including riding fashion and clothing.

DSCN0876a.jpg

3. #23 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    "Smart" paint job ...

fYjoEaoiW6804.jpg

4. #24 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    I don't understand the Chinese *logic* on these modifications. If you have millions of unregistered uninsured motorcycles that crop up even on TV shows and in coffee ads, you'd think that you'd be given a medal for actually having the patience and virtue to actually keep a bike registered and insured unlike the other 99% of bikers. As long as any mods are safe, why the hell make people jump through more hoops? Daft.

Also I suspect my bike would fail inspection, but that is because the 'mods' done are just fixes or improvements to the original bike.

5. #25 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    I have learned, there is no Chinese word for Logic

6. #26 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I can't find a thread that deals exclusively with illegal bikes, so I am tossing this in here ...

I guess everyone has heard about the new Exit/Entry laws coming into effect on July 1, 2013. Lots of info on various English websites in China.

Anyways, there was a recent public forum I attended where a "leader" from the PSB, Exit/Entry department was explaining the new rules. The guy must have been high up, because he had lots of those silver things on his shoulder and collar.

One of the key things he mentioned was that the Chinese consulates/embassies in other countries, as well as the PSB offices inside China, will now be able to refuse a visa (new or renewal) for ANY reason that the consular/PSB officer feels appropriate, especially if it is felt that the person will not follow the rules/laws of China. Further, the actual reason for a refusal does not have to be disclosed. Before jumping on China, note that this is the current practice in most Western countries who also deny visas for seemingly no apparent reason, and no actual reason is given - just a "denied" stamp.

So, apparently the big reasons for denial will be overstaying a prior visa, working in China on the wrong visa type, and previously behaving in a manner that is inconsistent with a harmonious society. But the keynote speaker said there could be a number of other reasons, and it would be at the discretion of the consular/PSB officer (again, this is the same with many countries).

At the end of the forum, the floor was opened for questions. When I got my turn, I asked:

"What about traffic offences? Could a person be denied a visa (or renewal) for traffic offences? And, if so, what type?"

There was a bit of discussion, but it essentially boiled down to:

1) Yes, if the visa applicant had violating serious traffic laws, then the applicant may be denied a visa (renewal), at the discretion of the consular/PSB officer.
    2) A serious traffic offence would include those of a criminal nature, such as impaired driving, hit & run, being responsible for an accident that resulted in death or serious injury, and involvement in the trade, distribution, operation of illegal vehicles / documents.
    3) Lesser offences such as speeding, jay-walking, would most probably not have an impact.

I tried to press for specific answers, but I began to feel that I was drawing too much attention to myself. Not wise. But I did get an answer to the question ... "What about a person who is driving an illegally imported vehicle with fake plates and documents?" After receiving an incredulous glare (it was then that I realized I had certainly drawn too much attention to myself) I was told that this type of offence can be regarded as serious, and perhaps even classified as criminal, but it would still be up to the discretion of of the consular/PSB official. Again, it might result in a refusal for a visa, or a visa renewal, but without any reason for the refusal given.

After making a quick exit, incognito, I gave it some thought about what would happen back home. I am pretty sure that if somebody in Canada on a visa was zooming around in a stolen/illegally imported vehicle, with fake plates, license, etc., they would probably be denied a visa renewal. That is, of course, after spending some time in Canada's "free hotel" operated by the police.

Then again, TI (still) C, so I wonder how the implementation of the new Exit/Entry laws will be done? I have no idea what sort of database is kept, or who has access.

Somewhat off-topic, but interesting, was the commercial dispute elements that were discussed - there will be a broader application of refused permission to exit China if one is involved in a commercial dispute where the amount of money is > 100,000 rmb. That isn't really a lot of money and could, I am making a wild guess, be easily exceeded by a traffic accident where the other party claims injuries.

Looks like the wild, wild East is moving into the history books, bit by bit.

7. #27 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    "What about traffic offences? Could a person be denied a visa (or renewal) for traffic offences? And, if so, what type?"
    A serious traffic offence would include those of a criminal nature, such as impaired driving, hit & run, being responsible for an accident that resulted in death or serious injury, and involvement in the trade, distribution, operation of illegal vehicles / documents.
    Now, don't know about Beijing but some foreigners in Shanghai got deported during the last few years for driving under heavy alcohol influence or not holding a valid Chinese driving license while operating a motor vehicle after a detention period between 10-15 days.
    The resident permits aka Z Visas were cancelled and no return to ML China on any type of visa for a minimum of 10 years or even more. Know of two cases (EU Citizen) were the deportee was a company owner and a director / investor on the China company license and had families living in Shanghai as well. All started to get heavy and serious down here in the "Big Smoke" Shanghai before the 2010 WorldExpo......

Had a young British guy working for me in Shanghai around 5 years ago and he got booted out of the country after 2x10 days detention (he was charged with two criminal offences / not traffic - vehicle related) and the time spent at the Pudong detention house was not a walk in the park I can tell you that as I worked closely with the British consulate during his detention period.
    After his release he had 24hrs. to leave the country and of course went straight to Hong-Kong to apply for a new visa but was denied any type of ML China visa, went back to London (UK) and wrote a letter of self critismn and apologies, went to China embassy and was once again refused a visa for a minimum of 25 years even with a new UK passport (changed UK address and new passport number). After his visa refusal in HK / UK we had to get the British consulate involved once again to ship his personal belongings out of China to the UK as his Z visa was cancelled...

Shanghai (Pudong) Detention Center located on Hunan Road: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Detention_Center and Shanghai Qingpu District has a new larger one, huge blue and white signs pointing towards the new center from HuQingPing Highway near Qingpu City.

8. #28 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Engine replacements are fine as long as it's the same model engine and the factory stamps the same engine number.
    Just to clarify, (as I've just had my engine blow-up...) you're talking about the engine number that's both stamped on the engine casing AND listed inside of the blue-book, right? This means I need to purchase factory-direct and can't get one elsewhere? My 2 year inspection is coming up in July an I want to make sure I pass.
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

9. #29 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedannywahl View Post
    Just to clarify, (as I've just had my engine blow-up...) you're talking about the engine number that's both stamped on the engine casing AND listed inside of the blue-book, right? This means I need to purchase factory-direct and can't get one elsewhere? My 2 year inspection is coming up in July an I want to make sure I pass.
    Correct.

Engine number stamped on the engine and the registration card (blue wallet [& green book]) must match.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123