Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    My update will have to wait until after the CNY, as they are already closed for the holiday. I have doubts that the info I will get might be partially incorrect, but as mentioned it's the only shop in town where I see police bikes being repaired and the shop is nice, CLEAN and appears to be one of the few places I can think of where I could ask such a question, and get a reasonably straight reply.

I will make it clear that I want to know what the law says, and not as it may pertain to me as a foreigner.
    我曾参观过的所有地方,地球仍然拥有最好的爆米花。

2. #12 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Any update?

Planning the initial registration of a new bike and wonder wether I should install custom decals and handguards before the first registration, so everything is already how I want to have it on the first picture taken.

I am living in a small town and doubt an enduro has been registred here before.

Btw I is it possible to have supermoto AND offroad tyres (different diameter) registred with the same bike?

3. #13 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^absolutely get the bike how you want it set up with items that are clearly distinguishable and discernible at the time of the registration as that is how the vehicle must look at the time of re-inspection etc. So if you are planning on cases, top box, bigger items that will likely standout then fit them first then do the reg. Far easier than having to remove everything later. It isn't always a problem but it can be, as is usual TIC and guanxi can and does come into play. You can be seen by two different cops and one, or other, or both, or none, or the same, or the other... cop can take issue with something that looks different... take your pick.

4. #14 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ^absolutely get the bike how you want it set up with items that are clearly distinguishable and discernible at the time of the registration as that is how the vehicle must look at the time of re-inspection etc. So if you are planning on cases, top box, bigger items that will likely standout then fit them first then do the reg. Far easier than having to remove everything later.
    took one for the China JL JH600 biker community, last week my army green JL600 was registered as the first ever 2-wheel JL JH600 in Huzhou and the cops at the vehicle rego office ask if i want the bike entered into the vehicle management bureau computer with or without the red Rotopax Gas Pack mounted. Took the gas pack off for the pic to make rego of future JL JH600's easier as every new JH600 (2-wheel) would need the gas pack mounted to be registered in case I left it on the bike. apparently my JH JL600 pic is used as reference for new registrations of 2-wheel JL JH600's in the future (dropped all the paperwork off on Friday to be initially entered (6 hours time was told) in the computer system - went to up Moganshan Lodge and picked up plate and rego on Monday after the usual vehicle test and frame number print with red ink, etc... etc.).

once they issued me the plates and all documents peeled off the silly looking Jialing stickers and markings.....

5. #15 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Ok, thats some usefull input, then I will certainly customize somthing, but do it with reason.

For the decals I am not worried, there are at least 5 different styles coming from the factory itself.

Any idea how to handle Supermto tyres?

How about electrical mods? Like a louder horn, offroad lights. How they test the lights? Do they take the dB values of exhaust/horn?

6. #16 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    took one for the China JL JH600 biker community, last week my army green JL600 was registered as the first ever 2-wheel JL JH600 in Huzhou and the cops at the vehicle rego office ask if i want the bike entered into the vehicle management bureau computer with or without the red Rotopax Gas Pack mounted. Took the gas pack off for the pic to make rego of future JL JH600's easier as every new JH600 (2-wheel) would need the gas pack mounted to be registered in case I left it on the bike. apparently my JH JL600 pic is used as reference for new registrations of 2-wheel JL JH600's in the future (dropped all the paperwork off on Friday to be initially entered (6 hours time was told) in the computer system - went to up Moganshan Lodge and picked up plate and rego on Monday after the usual vehicle test and frame number print with red ink, etc... etc.).

once they issued me the plates and all documents peeled off the silly looking Jialing stickers and markings.....
    Yeah I like the rotopax you have on the rear. A few inmates on yamahasupertenere.com and advrider.com have them fitted in all kinds of configurations. I just wonder though how you planning to refit the stickers especially the "jialing" stickers. Mind you, you've got 2 years now to worry about that LoL. Don't tell me you plan on substituting for some other brand/manufacturers dongle?

7. #17 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeater View Post
    Ok, thats some usefull input, then I will certainly customize somthing, but do it with reason.
    For the decals I am not worried, there are at least 5 different styles coming from the factory itself.
    Any idea how to handle Supermto tyres?
    How about electrical mods? Like a louder horn, offroad lights. How they test the lights? Do they take the dB values of exhaust/horn?
    Tyres are not going to be a problem so long as they have adequate tread. Whether or not they notice you have road, offroad, combo tyre types is likely neither here nor there IMO. Louder horn might be a problem, sometimes. Lights likewise can be a problem. I have HID's upgraded on all my bikes aside from my Burgman 650 and a little 125 jijian scoot (which sits gathering dust in a room off the garage, as I don't ride it). The Dragstar and Jetmax both have HIDs and I had the HID fitted on a CF250T-VIP scoot which I sold long ago. I just have my local motorcycle Suzuki/CFMoto/Regal Raptor dealer handle the inspections... no problem. Though I was warned that one of the bikes might fail because of the HID lights, so the dealer workshop wanted to swap the HID for standard, but the head salesman said he'd sort it if it was a problem... which it wasn't in the end. It's the reason why nearly all Chinese manufactured bikes have 35/35w halogen bulbs (Jetmax, Jetlux, CF650NK, CF650TR et al.). Meanwhile all the peasants in their tractor BMW's Audi's Mercedes, drive round with their HID with projectors on high beam the whole night long, must be "until the cows come home" LoL. But as is customary, TIC and all rules are open to interpretation by those in control...

8. #18 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Banned
    Yeah I like the rotopax you have on the rear.
    yeah, beats the bloody metal jerry cans, imported a few sets of Rotopax Gas Packs (various mounts & sizes) for mates into dual sport bikes and 4x4's....

I just wonder though how you planning to refit the stickers especially the "jialing" stickers. Mind you, you've got 2 years now to worry about that LoL. Don't tell me you plan on substituting for some other brand/manufacturers dongle?
    they invented double sided tape quite some time ago and the bike will stay army green - plain and simple.... lovin' it.....
    Attached Images

9. #19 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear TB-Racing,

It's actually quite interesting that Jialing supplied a sticker with their brand in Chinese. Mine had only pinyin branding, so when I registered my bike -- the first JH600 two-wheeler in Shanghai -- the registration authorities actually took a stencil and spray-painted the 嘉陵 brand on my bike. "The rules say the bike MUST display the brand in Chinese to be legally registered." Shanghai being an eminently reasonable place, however, the guy who sprayed the white "paint" through the stencil told me, "It washes right off." And so it did.

The fact that Jialing supplied actual stickers suggests an awareness of this regulation.

At my two-year re-registration last June, there was not a peep about the lack of a Chinese brand, or the presence of an aftermarket muffler, or the presence of Tourfella racks and non-standard rear top rack and Taobao-sourced handguards. These did NOT conform with the picture in my registration booklet, nor did they conform with the image of my bike that, like yours in Huzhou, was immortalized in the Shanghai motorcycle registry as the first official sample of the species in Shanghai.

That said, it's stupid as hell that China forbids customization of motor vehicles.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Illegal Modifications 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    It's actually quite interesting that Jialing supplied a sticker with their brand in Chinese.
    See my threads, both my JL bikes came with the thick decals (rubber - plastic stickers) from the factory and easily peeled off and re-applied with double sided tape if necessary. They stuck onto the garage door in the moment for safe keeping till needed....

That said, it's stupid as hell that China forbids customization of motor vehicles.
    now that should keep the kings of tacky bling busy once they have to go for the check-ups.... HOG crew....

"The rules say the bike MUST display the brand in Chinese to be legally registered."
    Tell me about it, stickers had to be made for registration and licensing and a picture says more.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast