Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hello all,

Fay has recently passed her computer test for driving license.

We have the new Excel document for the test, however, as expected, it is in Chinese.

Looks like this, from a random selection.

873 图片题 选择题 提拉这个开关控制机动车哪个部位? picture_439 左右转向灯 倒车灯 示廓灯 报警闪光灯
    874 图片题 选择题 旋转开关这一档控制机动车哪个部位? picture_440 近光灯 前后雾灯 远光灯 左右转向灯

(Where the above says "picture_439" there is actually a picture there.)

How about if there was a combined effort, and say make an English translation.
    I could email or QQ part of the document, say 10% or whatever, to any one who has an interest, and is willing to do some translation.

If enough people put the effort in, then it could be translated in a very short time.
    Then I just join all the "translated returns" back up again and it's then available to the forum for free.

When the Excel spread sheet is done, I could think about scanning the 73 pages of the book, and may be some folk would chip in and have a go at translating that also next.
    I think if you wait for an "official" English translated book, you might be a long time waiting.

Now the hitch, this was the car test, so the motorbike test is going to have a few extra questions included.

Gra.

2. #2 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Great idea (not sarcasm) but I dont think its possible to take the test in English now. So even if we had the translations its still pretty damn hard to pass.

3. #3 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Great idea (not sarcasm) but I dont think its possible to take the test in English now. So even if we had the translations its still pretty damn hard to pass.
    Why would you think the new test is not available in English?

Although Fay took her's in Chinese, she didn't ask about taking it in English.
    However she seems to think the new test would also be able to be done in English.

Fay says the new test is much easier than the old test.
    She has seen both tests, so I would expect her to have an opinion.

Doesn't bother me, I have passed, doesn't bother Fay, she has passed.

Gra.

4. #4 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    It bothers me cos I passed the old test and still need to pass the new one.............but they dont have it in English, so all i can do now is wait

5. #5 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Modron,

Why not propose that you take the new exam in Chinese, but because it's available only in Chinese you'll need a translator with you. This sounds unlikely, but it was standard procedure for many years when the test was only available in Chinese. It's worth a shot.

That said, from what we've heard from various testing centers around China, they are scrambling to resume provision of exams in English and other languages. I'm sure that many centers are feeling acute demand from expats who want and need drivers licenses or, worse yet, expats like you who are being treated very unfairly.

That said, you might go in once again and make your case that they should issue you your license on the basis of the test that you passed. You didn't break any rules, you took it in December (before the new exam was rolled out), and you passed. Ask for a supervisor, and be sympathetic to their situation (not much they can do but wait for English exams), then ask them to be sympathetic to yours. It just might work.

Oh, and, the payoff for you will be enormous, given your proximity to some of the best motorcycling in eastern China there in Zhejiang (you are in Taizhou, right?). The YBR250 will be a brilliant choice for carving through those mountains. Check out the ride posts from Bikerdoc, Felix ("Zhejiang is the shit") and others.

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by euphonius; 02-07-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    If enough people put the effort in, then it could be translated in a very short time.
    Not that hard, do each question in Google or Bing Translator and then tidy up the grammar and word order. We'd probably end up with a more accurate translation than the official one. I'll do some if you like. I'll PM you my email.

7. #7 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi,

Fay will do the first 100, so if you like, starting at Q200 is good.

Sent,

Gra.

8. #8 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I love it. Here we are crowdsourcing an English translation to China's new drivers license exam. Be careful with google translate, though!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    I think we should start a new stickied thread in 'ride prep' and put all the new questions in there.

10. #10 Re: January 2013 - Getting a Chinese driving licence 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Modron,

Why not propose that you take the new exam in Chinese, but because it's available only in Chinese you'll need a translator with you. This sounds unlikely, but it was standard procedure for many years when the test was only available in Chinese. It's worth a shot.

I didnt know that was t
    he case before. Knowing this I definitely will go to see them after the festival and ask about it. If so, Ill bring my girl with me although Im pretty sure she wont be able to translate it well as her English is not great. I will ask her to study the Chinese questions and she might do the test for me ;)

That said, you might go in once again and make your case that they should issue you your license on the basis of the test that you passed. You didn't break any rules, you took it in December (before the new exam was rolled out), and you passed. Ask for a supervisor, and be sympathetic to their situation (not much they can do but wait for English exams), then ask them to be sympathetic to yours. It just might work.

I tried that but they said
    that for first few months after introducing new laws they had their hands tide. Too many inspections.

Oh, and, the payoff for you will be enormous, given your proximity to some of the best motorcycling in eastern China there in Zhejiang (you are in Taizhou, right?). The YBR250 will be a brilliant choice for carving through those mountains. Check out the ride posts from Bikerdoc, Felix ("Zhejiang is the shit") and others.
    I know! cant wait!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast