Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 regal raptor 350 new problems. 
    some questions for motorcycle experts out there,

- 3rd new battery in a year - is this alternator problem?, if so how can i test it ? is traveling 10km (x2) a day not enough to recharge the batt or its just because of the cold season.?

- black liquid leaking under the engine, but the engine still sounds and run good... do i need to check something like the gasket, mechanic say its nothing worry with when it stops working then he will check?

- liquid cooler (blue color) leaking on the pipe connection to the engine, is this something to be worried for?

Thanks.

2. #2 Re: regal raptor 350 new problems. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Take the bike back to the shop where you bought it from if the bike is still under warranty. If you don't speak Mandarin, have someone accompany you who does, but someone who has a good understanding of English and automotive/motorcycle concepts would be helpful. If your RR350 is not under warranty, then go elsewhere away from the mechanic you have been to, as either there is possibly some miscommunication going on, or he is pulling your leg.
    Since in relation to your questions;
    1. 3 batteries in a year is obvious there is a problem somewhere, could be the alternator or elsewhere in the electrics, unless you are being supplied with crap batteries;
    2. Fluid leaking from somewhere below the engine or transmission, could be indicative of so many possibilities, from a engine breather hose poorly located/routed so that it drops oil below the bike when parked rather than into the air filter collection box which is pretty normal on most bikes. Then again, it might be a leaking seal or gasket. Problem with leaks is they can be from some obnoxiously difficult locations to find if they are not that obvious. You might need to give the bike a good fairly high pressure soap sud/engine degreaser wash just so as to get a clean engine and tranny surface to try and attempt to locate the leak if it's not obvious. Also oil as like most fluids are notorious for travelling and making the primary site of the leak difficult to locate.
    3. Coolant leak, sounds like a seal or could be as simple as a bolt/nut has come loose on part of a pipe fitting as an example, and given QA/QC on most things made in China, that would be where I'd start first. No harm to check all the nuts and bolts are torqued to spec or if no specs are available, are at least tight enough without being over tight!
    Keep in mind the low temps of the season, which can also have significant impact on various seals, gaskets and tolerances, though unless you are parking outside under layers of snow, probably shouldn't be a significant factor.

What is important, is that you shouldn't be facing these problems and given the brush off from a "typical" technician (since most competent mechanics' would sort it or explain why these problems are not significant). Incompetence is the norm here, and most locals know no different. After all motorcycles are deemed for peasants. Perhaps one of the BJ MCM crew can help you out. Give LJH a shout out.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 02-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.

3. #3 Re: regal raptor 350 new problems. 
    You have three problems there.

Edit: Actually four problems. The mechanic is a problem too. Bikerdoc has said the rest in detail.

4. #4 Re: regal raptor 350 new problems. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi M

I can't remember if you keep your bike outside, overnight. If you do, these nights of minus 20 (and lower) are killers for batteries, especially the little motorcycle batteries. Else, there might be a slow drain happening somewhere. We can check it out when the weather gets warmer. I've brought some proper testing equipment from back home.

As for the leaks, your coolant leak may just be a loose fitting, or perhaps a split hose (again, this very cold weather followed by a hot engine, followed by cold, followed by hot ... you get the picture). The oil leak, as bikerdoc notes, can be difficult to find. Just pretend you are riding a 1960s/70s Harley/Triumph. But I would suggest you not pressure wash a bike, especially a Chinese bike. Pressure washers are notorious for blowing out seals - professional steam cleaning would worker better, but I have never seen a proper steam cleaner in China.

For now, just keep an eye on your fluid levels.

5. #5 Re: regal raptor 350 new problems. 
    Indeed, if you don't know how to do a pressure wash, then don't do it. And if you think how to do it because you have seen someone just spraying the water at the bike and think you can do the same, then think again and don't do it.

6. #6 Re: regal raptor 350 new problems. 
    I've got a Regal Raptor, in a very different street and air-cooled 250cc configuration, but I have a few ideas. It's easy to say just go a dealer and tell them to fix it, but this is China, most mechanics need constant supervision or can be left with very clear instructions.

- 3rd new battery in a year - is this alternator problem?, if so how can i test it ? is traveling 10km (x2) a day not enough to recharge the batt or its just because of the cold season.?
    Beijing's cold weather should not be a major problem, are your batteries being properly setup with the correct water and being adequately trickle charged? As LJH suggests there may be a drain somehow.
    - black liquid leaking under the engine, but the engine still sounds and run good... do i need to check something like the gasket, mechanic say its nothing worry with when it stops working then he will check?
    Keep an eye on your oil levels, under a cover on the left side of the engine there is the magneto, in there is a seal which can pop if the bike is overfilled with oil, then a small trickle will dribble out leaving a coin sized puddle at night, if it is not that it can be residue from a recent chain oil or oil getting on the exhaust during an oil change or a slight sump leak. It's hard to tell without an idea of where the leak is coming from.
    - liquid cooler (blue color) leaking on the pipe connection to the engine, is this something to be worried for?
    Sounds like coolant, make sure the liquid cooling system is properly tight. As Bikerdoc suggests.

Good Luck!

P.S. More information if possible photos would really help us to identify the issues better.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 02-13-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: the P.S.