Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    Can the wrong fitment of a throttle cable stop an engine from starting ?

I ask as the last I remember just before I gave up with the bike two years ago was it not starting after fitting a new throttle cable, it still won't start and I have done everything else- clean fuel, cleaned carb twice, I have a good healthy spark and the air filter is not blocked, but it won't start.

Removing the spark plug and cranking over it is clear no fuel is getting to the combustion chamber, but there is nothing wrong with the carb, so I can only think back to two years ago and I gave up because it wouldn't start after fitting a new throttle cable, so is the problem the cable somehow ?

Is there a special procedure to fitting the throttle cable to these things ?

The routing is correct and it's not trapped anywhere.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

2. #2 Re: Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    C-Moto Guru
    If the throttle cable is too short or out of adjustment it could hold the throttle open enough to prevent the engine from starting.

1)With the throttle cable attached remove your carb and look through the outlet (the side that connects to the engine) and look at the small gap between the throttle slide and the carb body; there should be a small gap of a couple of mm.

2) If it is too big or small then give the throttle a bit of slack using the adjusters which should be located on the throttle cable near the carb and the handlebars

3) Adjust the idle speed screw located on the side of your carb to get the gap between the throttle slide and the carb body to roughly the right size

4) Fit the carb back to the cylinder head and attempt to start the engine, if it starts that give it some time to warm up then fine-tune the idle speed, if it does not start play around with the idle speed adjuster and try again

5) Adjust the slack in the throttle cable so that you have 2 - 6mm of freeplay on the throttle

If that does not work then you could try a new carb; the stock carb is a Mikuni VM22. You can get one from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKUNI-VM2...item35c187cedf

If none of that works the only other possibilities are lack of compression or an issue with the valve train. A compression issue could be caused by damaged piston rings, valves or a very bad head gasket leak. You could take it to a mechanic who will be able to do a compression test for you or you can by compression tester kits from Amazon for about £25.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    If none of that works the only other possibilities are lack of compression or an issue with the valve train.
    Tight intake valve will keep the bike from starting cold.

Squirt a little gas or WD40 in the spark plug hole and see if it fires up. Find a huge hill and try bump starting it in 4th gear. Remove the throttle cable completely and just use the choke.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    If the throttle cable is too short or out of adjustment it could hold the throttle open enough to prevent the engine from starting.

1)With the throttle cable attached remove your carb and look through the outlet (the side that connects to the engine) and look at the small gap between the throttle slide and the carb body; there should be a small gap of a couple of mm.

2) If it is too big or small then give the throttle a bit of slack using the adjusters which should be located on the throttle cable near the carb and the handlebars

3) Adjust the idle speed screw located on the side of your carb to get the gap between the throttle slide and the carb body to roughly the right size

4) Fit the carb back to the cylinder head and attempt to start the engine, if it starts that give it some time to warm up then fine-tune the idle speed, if it does not start play around with the idle speed adjuster and try again

5) Adjust the slack in the throttle cable so that you have 2 - 6mm of freeplay on the throttle

If that does not work then you could try a new carb; the stock carb is a Mikuni VM22. You can get one from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKUNI-VM2...item35c187cedf

If none of that works the only other possibilities are lack of compression or an issue with the valve train. A compression issue could be caused by damaged piston rings, valves or a very bad head gasket leak. You could take it to a mechanic who will be able to do a compression test for you or you can by compression tester kits from Amazon for about £25.
    Excellent advice !!!

Thank You !!!

This was just what I was looking for and now the bike runs. The throttle slide was in wrong to start with, that corrected I did as you have suggested and the thing actually started on the choke mechanism which it never did before, mine the pilot screw setting is different where I understand before looking at the plug, it was running a bit fuel rich.

But it's been standing outside for two years, complete with solar charger fitted, so the battery was good, but it runs and it drives and everything works with only two electrical snags to sort out and bit of tidying up due to surface rust, but down here, I am haf a mile from the sea and what weather we get comes off that mostly,

The electrical snags are all common to the right hand handlebar electrics control, so I think there is my culprit and besides the throttle cable needs lubing, it was a bit sticky, so do that job when investigating the electrical snags.

But thanks again, this is just the sort of information that I thrive on.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

5. #5 Re: Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    C-Moto Guru
    You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

6. #6 Re: Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    C-Moto Noob

Thanks for this post, it really came in handy.

Cheers & Merry Xmas!

7. #7 Re: Throttle cable issue - Pulse Adrenaline. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dams View Post
    Thanks for this post, it really came in handy.

Cheers & Merry Xmas!
    I have the same issue after fitting a throttle cable I'm a little confused as to how the barrel needs to sit in the carbretor I'm not sure if mine it sat in the correct way and now my bike will not start